Do you think Sprint iPhone 4S data speeds will increase soon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by docgerrard, Oct 20, 2011.

?

Will Sprint's data speeds improve for the iPhone 4S

1. Yes (obviously not to an ATT level, but about .5MBPS

15 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    60.5%
  1. docgerrard macrumors 6502

Just a poll. I'm sure many of us have iPhone 4S's and many of us don't know if we should return it and get another phone (for those of us stuck on Sprint) or switch carriers.

I can make due with the slow speeds, bc I am almost always around wifi, but it would be nice to have faster speeds.

2. wordoflife, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

They'll get better over time as Sprint continues to bolster their network for the future (and high volume of smartphones), but your speeds won't dramatically increase anytime soon. They're probably more focused on increasing coverage rather than improving speeds at this point. Plus, CDMA has a limitation of "slow" speeds, so there's not a whole bunch of things they can do except expanding. You won't ever see anything as fast as the HSPA+ speedtests on AT&T if you are using CDMA (Verizon or Sprint).

If you don't mind the speeds and are on WiFi most of the time, I'd try to live with them. Realistically, despite the speedtests, the performance isn't that bad. And like you said, if you're going to be on WiFi anyways, there's no point raising your bill.

3. 2010RS macrumors 6502

4. docgerrard thread starter macrumors 6502

lol if i had to guess your life is miserable

EDIT: just to add at least some substance to this (probably true) post, i'll go ahead and say that I am happy saving 20$+ a month to sacrifice having the speediest data. but i know the speeds that many are getting are subpar even for sprint, and that i do hope speeds go up (not to the 5+ MBPS ATT is seeing, but at least to around 1 MBPS which i'd say is definitely reasonable)

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Not even Verizon has speeds this fast all across the board yet. The thing is, Verizon's ping/latency is fairly low so things load quickly. If Sprint can reduce their ping from a few hundred to <120, things like webpages and email would load as fast as they do on AT&T or T-Mobile. Videos, apps, and other large files would still be faster on AT&T or T-Mobile though.

6. docgerrard thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh I didn't realize ping was such a big deal.

I'm not a very tech savvy guy, but how can one go about improving ping?

Is that a network issue too? Easier to change, harder to change? The thing is, my ping fluctuates a lot but my dl/ul speeds stay way more constant

7. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I'm wishing Sprint the best, because I believe in choices.

That said I doubt Sprint has the money to do anything other than focus on selling enough iPhones to survive. Not that the phone doesn't sell itself, but based on the staggering daily sales numbers Sprint needs to cover their outlay to Apple, it's not looking good.

What a shame if they fold.

8. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

What are talking about Verizon speeds are not that fast? I get 1.65Mbps compared to my old Evo on sprint that gets .30-.50Mbps

9. wundar macrumors newbie

The data speeds are going to improve with Sprint through their network vision in the next few months. They are working on the backhaul and that will significantly increase data speeds. Their overhaul of the towers will bring a faster data speed and also LTE too. iPhones seem to be having a slower data speed than other Sprint devices. That should be fixed soon.

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yeah, ping is probably one of the biggest factors. You could load up pages fairly quick if the ping is low enough.

You can't do anything about the ping. Sprint needs to fix that issue.

12. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

13. dmusicman385 macrumors regular

I really have not had issues. My data is pretty fast and reliable here in LI

14. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I'm not quite sure what the problem really is...

Last night I was lucky to get .2mbps down, but right now I'm easily getting 1.8-2.1mbps down!

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think it will get worse as more iPhones are added to their network.

16. docgerrard thread starter macrumors 6502

My ping actually dropped to like <150 today and speed seems significantly faster

17. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123