do you think steve J would approve?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phoneme, Sep 18, 2016.

1. phoneme macrumors member

do you think steve would have approved with using basically the same phone factor for 3 years now? what say you??

2. Koobs macrumors regular

Koobs

I've asked many times what has apple innovated besides Touch ID since Jobs died? Don't get me wrong I still love apple products, but they don't seem to be too innovative anymore.

3. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Steve would have had the phone shrunk to the size of an iPod Shuffle by now.

4. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

No they really innovated this time by removing headphone jack :D (remove the damn thing which millions of people use every day)

5. Superrjamz54 macrumors 6502

Superrjamz54

There hasn't been any innovation by any manufacturer in years. There's not much left to do but just minor revisions. Unless having phones explode is innovative.

6. pika2000, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016

pika2000 macrumors 68030

Steve Jobs would've removed the headphone jack from the beginning. Remember how the first iPhone has recessed headphone jack that people need adapters to plug in regular headphones?
    Oh, and of course all buttons would be gone, replaced completely by Siri. Remember the 3rd gen iPod shuffle?
    Having said that, Steve Jobs would've ensured the fugly white antenna bands to be color matched, because they just look fugly on the gold and rose gold iPhones.

Yup, because innovation is only applicable to appearance. Who cares if Apple now had the arguably fastest and most efficient mobile SoC, where their last year SoC still beats the current top SoC from the competitor. Yup, same looking phone = ZERO innovation. Apple is such a failure. Chinese OEMs that changes designs every couple of months without paying attention to build quality (eg. Mi5) are surely more innovative than boring Apple.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Steve made mistakes too. Remember the 3rd gen iPod Shuffle? How about Ping? The iPod Hi-Fi?

Anyway, he's been dead for nearly 5 years. Why does it matter if he would have approved? And why does it matter that the phone has a similar appearance to last years phone? Macs look the same for years at a time, but they receive under the hood upgrades every year. Do you need a shiny new thing to show off so people know that you have the shiny new thing?

8. patrickbarnes macrumors regular

Apart from wireless charging and maybe iris recognition I don't see what they can do that isn't just iterative improvement (better screen, better battery, faster CPU/GPU, etc).

The more interesting thing is iOS 10, which is the best release of iOS ever.

9. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Everyone does things different. I don't think we'd have a 5.5" iPhone if SJ was still here..

10. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

And apple would have lost a lot of customers to androids if they didn't make the iP+.

Jobs couldn't admit when he was wrong, took credit for successes when others deserved the credit and he was a bad person. Glad his skank wife moved on so quickly, lol!

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Apple DID lose a lot of customers to other manufacturers. The iPhone + models are awesome, but they were extremely late to the market.

12. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Although I wouldn't word it like you did, lol, you're right about the Plus model. If it was non existent I know many people would be with Android now.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Sure, if this means ditching the dedicated home button for the 2017 iPhone, as Apple is rumored to do.

"10 years of the iPhone. Reimagined."

14. Savor Suspended

Savor

He wouldn't have approved the iPhone 6 series design in the first place.

15. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

I think so. The iPhone follows the typical pattern of Apple evolution - keep an iconic design on the outside, and keep on refining the internals...then one day, release a totally new design.

16. Neebee macrumors 6502a

Only the [now] dead man can tell you what he thinks. No point in speculating. Jobs' thinking process was anything but typical.

17. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

From what I've read, Steve Jobs' talent was for wringing the best out of his employees. It is highly unusual that so many people would have unkind things to say about a man after his death except for his Apple executive board. I found the lack of praise to be deafening. Seems to me that many of the achievements of Apple were due to his total dictatorial control over the products and his perfectionist personality and his willingness to do almost anything to get what he wanted. That said, this is the price of perfection. There will be collateral damage, but it's what we seem to want from Apple.

18. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

There's really no other answer than this one, but I'll just point out how long Macs kept their same form factors. When they got the all aluminum PowerMac G5, they kept that design for a decade-- and for good reason: it worked. They kept tweaking the internal layout, but didn't need to update the exterior even when they switched to Intel.

Leaving aside the early days of flower power iMacs, he seemed to like working hard on finding a good answer and then sticking with it.

19. phoneme thread starter macrumors member

well lets just be thankful to samsung for having the courage and innovation to boldly go were no smartphone maker would go at the time. but now they are all on the phablet bandwagon. if you can remember at the time all the other smartphones were small. and if you had a sammy phablet everyone would make fun of you for having such a device. but now most people have one. and some are even bigger than the first phablet. my how the times have changed.

20. Sonmi451 Suspended

Steve jobs is dead can we stop bringing him up?

21. TurboPGT! Suspended

Nonsense.

The best part about Steve Jobs is that he could be adamantly, world-endingly against something in the morning...and 100% committed to doing it by the end of the day, if someone gave him a good reason.

So when people say they know what Steve would have done...they couldn't possibly be more wrong, because even Steve didn't know what Steve was going to do until the day was over.

22. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
  23. TurboPGT! Suspended

Both of the iPhone released this year (iPhone SE, and iPhone 7) are actually the 3rd iteration/evolution of a core design.

This is not inherently a bad thing. The fact you presume to this to be automatically bad is just pathetic, and ignorant.

24. phoneme thread starter macrumors member

i never used the word "bad" in my thread lets get the facts right please.

25. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502a

Dirtydutch

I think Jobs would've evolved with the market just like everyone else has and come to the realization you will only be making major modifications when it's relative at this point. He changed the world once its kind of hard to do it again. His vision of the iPhone came to fruition and ever since has simply been improved upon you will never get another thing like it. You're lucky such a device is developed in ones lifetime.