Do you think that Office for Mac will update to have "Auto Save and Versions"

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Merkyworks, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

From what I understand the developer of a app/program will have to use the new Lion API's to make auto save and versions work. How quick do you think Microsoft will implement this into Mac Office 2010/2011 or do you think that they wont do it at all?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

My guess is that it will happen, as to the speed, I do not know (I hope quickly).

3. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

What he said. ;)

4. bobbba macrumors regular

I don't think it will happen at all for office 2011 (costly to implement with little ROI for them), it might happen for the next version but I wouldn't count on it.

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I doubt it would be costly to implement. They could probably do it in a day.

6. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

The only thing MS can do in a day is take Skype down :D

7. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Well, a few days ago MS launched a package of updates for their Office suites that even supported 2001 PPC versions. So if they do this, I'm saying a little more effort on actually upgrading their product to be compatible with the core OS benefits (for which they are programming after all) would ultimately benefit MS itself.

8. BLACKFRIDAY macrumors regular

I think its better to jump the ship to Apple software.

Microsoft is going to charge you another £80-£100 to update the software with those features.

On another note, iWorks is a much much better suite than Office(3-apps). I think, its better going native in this particular suite of professional software.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its a 50/50 chance if you ask me. if its something thats easy enough for the to implement they we'll see it. if it requires more work for them, then i doubt we'll see it until the next release.

10. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

I think the real question is: Will Adobe?

And the answer to that is sadly no. :rolleyes:

11. Takuro macrumors 6502

Takuro

Microsoft doesn’t have the best track record when it comes to making full use of new features in OS X with their product line. Office 2011 was a much-needed update, and I doubt they’re going to feel the need to release a new version any time soon. We’ll see.

12. KirkL macrumors 6502

Microsoft likes doing things their own way. For example they use their own version of Dictionary to pull definitions instead of using the native Mac one. Same goes for the "Full Screen" support...they use a different mechanism than other Mac applications.

Like others said they'll probably implement it for Mac Office for 2014 or whatever.

13. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

This. Microsoft don't care.

14. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

I would hope Microsoft does, but I can't see it in an update. It seems like they would wait for another version release, which probably won't be until 2013. However, you would think they would want to take advantage of the feature as soon as possible to keep PC switchers using Office and not drifting to iWork because of the auto-save and versions features.

15. bobbba macrumors regular

Security fixes isn't the same thing as adding features though

16. Takuro macrumors 6502

Takuro

I think the fact that Excel, PowerPoint, and Word are among the most commonly used office programs in the history of mankind sort of locks customers in already. Realistically, Numbers, Keynote, and Pages don’t even scratch the surface of what Office can do. If you’re going to work with documents other people have created and you don’t want to hassle with things like OpenOffice (which is about 5 years behind Microsoft’s suite), you need to buy it. :p

17. KirkL macrumors 6502

In all fairness, Office does have auto-save (I think it saves the file ever couple of minutes or so) though not the type Lion offers support for.

18. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Depends on your needs, but in my experience for home use, iWorks does a nice job for me. For work, especially with large documents, it has a long way to go.

19. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Nonesense. I would be shocked if they didn't come out with and an update to include the new Lion features shortly after the release. "Charge another 80-100":rolleyes:

20. KirkL macrumors 6502

Prepare to be shocked

(Unless you were being sarcastic?)

21. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Of course he wasn't.

I don't understand why people think this would take a great deal of effort. (Perhaps because it's Microsoft? :rolleyes:) Apple has already written the API's. They've done the hard work. It would be trivial to implement them.

22. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Why would they? And how? Imagine a 2GB PSD file getting every single change you make saved separately - and those won't be incremental, how are you supposed to make incremental backups of a bitmap image? And if it's not incremental, feel free to buy a 1TB hard drive every time you create a new PSD. So no, it won't happen, it wouldn't work and would be impossible to implement, not to mention there's no need for it.

23. BLACKFRIDAY macrumors regular

I guess we both are here. We will see.

24. Amberfool macrumors member

If they decide to update their apps they will do it quickly and as they will be updates and not new versions, they obviously won't cost a penny. Or they will choose to ignore it altogether. I hope the former, because I like MS Office, though iWork is pretty nice as well, and switching just for the OS to work woul be a pain.

25. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

Auto save hasnt worked for me yet. Word crashes constantly when trying to save a document. I have not yet seen it restore a document after I reopen it, I have even looked for it manually with no luck.

I have not had a chance to install the latest patches, lets hope MS has fixed this issue.