Do you think the 13" MBP is too heavy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by montblanc1, Jun 28, 2009.

1. montblanc1 macrumors member

as the title~~~

If you would like your MBP a computer on the go, do you thing 2.04KG is too heavy???

2. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Actually, had it been available before I purchased my Air my answer would be no. Since I've been Airified, I'd say yes but that's pretty jaded. It's light for what it has. Lighter than the plastic MB.

3. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

compared to my iphone yes....
    you might need to work out more.

4. suekitch macrumors regular

I've just upgraded to the 13" MBP from a 12" Samsung I had. The Samsung weighed in at around 1.85kg and this is 2kg, so I'm packing an extra 150g. That's not really a lot.

I quite happily walk around airports with 10 kilos on my back though admittedly I'd rather not do it every day. In this case though, the bag I have is so well designed that the weight distribution is perfect, so I don't feel too strained as such.

As for school (the reason I want a small screen laptop), I have a backpack that is pretty standard and not really that ergonomically designed. I could feel the weight of my 12" Samsung when I took it to and from uni (a 30 minute walk), but to be fair, the bag is such that I can feel the weight of anything of substance. I should consider a new one... anyway, I expect much the same experience with the Macbook Pro. The only way I could avoid this is if I had a tiny Netbook, which I don't want :p

In short, the 150g to me isn't that big a deal. It's about as portable as you can get whilst still having a comfortable to use, well-specced machine to take with you. I love the added power I get in this thing over my Samsung for instance, and the superior keyboard. Compared to my 4.5kg 17" Toshiba beast, it's a beauty.

The lesson to be learned here - invest in a decent bag and you won't have any trouble. It's far better than carrying textbooks around!

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't really but I have an Air and while I've considered a 13" MBP (which I owned just before the Air when it was a MB) I live how light the Air is and the MBP seems much heavier.

6. mrrippey macrumors regular

not heavy at all

I was carrying a gateway tabletpc and that was heavy. now compared to an Air, yes the uMBP is heavier but nothing I notice. I just carry in my bag a notebook, my uMBP and a book and the bag is the heaviest thing seem like (Coach leather bag).

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

8. errol macrumors 6502

errol

I'm in the camp that believes the macbook should loose the optical drive, making it potentially thinner and lighter. So yes, I think it could be a little lighter. I did have the air once and found it to be a bit pathetic (best way I can describe it!) but it's weight was nice.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

People want it to have the best of everything... screen, video card, ports (lots of ports), card readers, slots, large capacity drives, unlimited amounts of RAM and more... but they want it to defy gravity and float in the air, and remain constantly at room temperature even when downloading multiple torrents and playing Crysis through flawless framerates in virtualization.

No... it is not too heavy

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

10. CPPMaster macrumors member

NO.
    I had the impression that will be, until I got one. Is pretty easy to carry around.

11. captain-rossco macrumors member

Too heavy?

To lift full stop or in comparison to other units?

There's a few hundred grams difference between heavy units and light, if that weight spread is the difference between walking to work/school comfortably or arriving in an an ambulance having had an embolism then it may need considering.
    Alternatively we could collectively email apple saying asking them to make it out of sh***y plastic and ask them to cut big fan grilles in the back, that would help.

I welcome any technology that enables this much to be packed into something this small, if its not to ones liking, buy an Air or replace your MBP's components with bread, that would also help.

Regards
    CR

12. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

Not at all. The weight is well balanced imo...feels durable.

13. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

Wow, really? Compared to the stuff I lug around on a day to day basis even my 15" mbp is light, so no...the 13" is not too heavy

14. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

15. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

+1

I'm coming from a Dell 15 incher so this baby is like a feather!

16. EMKarelia macrumors regular

EMKarelia

Its light but I think that for a 13" It is heavy. That's just what I think.

17. CrazedVW macrumors member

CrazedVW

Not at all. Coming from carrying several 15" PB/MBP's over the last six years it's nice having something even more portable than the they were.

18. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

If you really think it's too heavy. Get yourself a gym membership and go do some weights for a few months, you'll soon realise it's not the machine that's heavy but your biceps was lacking something.:p:p

19. harcosparky macrumors 68020

The MBA is light for what it is missing as compared to the MBP.

Hell if your gonna talk light, get a Netbook.

The 13" MBP is a full function notebook, the MBA is a limited function notebook.

For those who think the 13" Macbook Pro is too heavy, may I make a suggestion?????

[​IMG]
    ................I'm Training For When I Get My 13" Macbook Pro

20. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

If you think it's too heavy, maybe this is the notebook you should be using. Don't forget your pencil...

[​IMG]

21. haoqfu macrumors regular

yes, it is very heavy if you had an mba before. carrying it around with the lid closed and with the lid open feels totally different. if you carry it around in your room a lot (like i do), it feels really really heavy if you hold it from one side with a single hand, that's why i'm thinking of switching to a mac mini and an ipad instead.

22. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Thanks for taking us back in time...:rolleyes:

23. seb-opp macrumors 6502

no way. I challenge the OP to find a lighter computer with the same specs!

24. ag227 macrumors regular

Of course its not to heavy... think about it this way..

if you go out and take a bottle of water with you then for a 500ml bottle of water you have added an extra 500g roughly, you dont stop and think maybe i should have got the smaller bottle so i can carry it do you?

generally people dont go out and find a lightweight bag to carry it in either, all of the savings in weight that it offers over something even 1kg more can be cancelled out by the bag and what you take with you, the clothes you wear etc.

its 2.04kg... not 20kg.... its not heavy