Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gigzz

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
I hope so, because god knows I hate them. Damn you, slave laborers! Damn you!

s8film40

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
Most of the people I have met from that part of the world have a very different work ethic and unlike most Americans they appreciate work. Based on that I would guess they are very happy.

Gigzz

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
Most of the people I have met from that part of the world have a very different work ethic and unlike most Americans they appreciate work. Based on that I would guess they are very happy.

What gave their happiness away? The high suicide rate?

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
If they ran out of work, they'd be laid off! More orders means job security, so that should (if anything) make them happy...

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I would be too of I got a 30% raise.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
You clearly don't understand how manufacturing works. It's not like they've been sitting around in the factory waiting for the pre-orders to come in and then produce the phones. Apple has already ordered these units ( a total of 3 million if I'm not mistaken) and they've already been manufactured. We're not talking about going into mcdonalds and ordering 600K burgers.

Also, would the employees really hate consumers for providing them work? I think not.

fuzion

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2010
You clearly don't understand how manufacturing works. It's not like they've been sitting around in the factory waiting for the pre-orders to come in and then produce the phones. Apple has already ordered these units ( a total of 3 million if I'm not mistaken) and they've already been manufactured. We're not talking about going into mcdonalds and ordering 600K burgers.

Also, would the employees really hate consumers for providing them work? I think not.

I do; but that's a worldwide supply correct?

dtlee1974

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
What high suicide rate? The suicide rate amongst Foxconn workers is lower than the average in region of China they work in, lower than the average in China and lower than the average in the US.

There are probably issues that could be fixed, but "oh my god they're dropping like flies from suicide" is just sesationalism at its worst.

Gigzz

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
My understanding is the suicide rate is lower than here in America.

It was just as idiotic when Steve said it. You can't compare suicide rates in America to suicide rates at a sweatshop on the other side of the world. Its not the same. I excuse you for saying it though, but not Steve. It just made him look like the worlds biggest, soulless moron.

InvalidBassist

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
Chicago
It was just as idiotic when Steve said it. You can't compare suicide rates in America to suicide rates at a sweatshop on the other side of the world. Its not the same. I excuse you for saying it though, but not Steve. It just made him look like the worlds biggest, soulless moron.

Honestly, sweatshop is an exageration.

s8film40

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007

When your talking about hundreds of thousands of people I can understand and agree with comparing statistics. Now if the news on the situation could start talking about the individual situation and the reasons leading up to the suicide than I agree in that context the statistics would come off as "soulless". The media has focused on the situation as a whole I suspect because if we delved into the details it probably wouldn't be very interesting and wouldn't show the angle they're looking for.

Gigzz

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
'Sweatshop' is a favorite word the left tosses out because it's simpler than actually thinking.

Hey look, it's a Fox(conn) News fan!

And for you: Britt Hume -"Oil? What oil? I don't see any oil."

s8film40

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
I work for a company here in the US that employs about 50,000 people at the location I work at. It seems to me that there is about one suicide per year at work probably a few more that I don't ever hear about. Each of these occasions had a lot to do with their life as a whole and their working conditions were only a very small factor. So while it sounds bad it's just something that comes along with working with large numbers of employee.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Hey look, it's a Fox(conn) News fan!

And for you: Britt Hume -"Oil? What oil? I don't see any oil."

Lefties also call people names, again, simpler than thinking. Take statements out of context, etc. Everyone else should simply believe them and be grateful they deign to consider the serfs. Lefties are tolerant of everyone except people who disagree with them. If they really believed Foxconn was a 'sweatshop', they would not buy an iPhone but lefties are not judged on their results, even when it's the opposite of what they claimed. No, they are judged simply on their good intentions. It's everyone else who shouldn't buy an iPhone.

Gigzz

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
Lefties also call people names, again, simpler than thinking. Take statements out of context, etc. Everyone else should simply believe them and be grateful they deign to consider the serfs. Lefties are tolerant of everyone except people who disagree with them. If they really believed Foxconn was a 'sweatshop', they would not buy an iPhone but lefties are not judged on their results, even when it's the opposite of what they claimed. No, they are judged simply on their good intentions. It's everyone else who shouldn't buy an iPhone.

Look, you pull his string and out comes a bon mot from Glenn, Rush or Hannity. I love it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.