Other Do you think the iPhone 11 will be the most beautiful iPhone since the 4?

?

• Yes

Votes: 19 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 122 86.5%

• Total voters

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I will say, Apple has always tried to pride themselves in aesthetics with design with the Mac/Apple Watch/iPhone, etc. So I do know the design is very important to them, which they would want to be important to the customer buying their product, because they want it to ‘stand out’. I just think in general when it comes to smart phones, I really don’t care about what it looks like, as I just need it to execute the task that I expect it to.
Most people these days use a case to show style anyway.

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
The iPhone 4 was a masterpiece in its time. Sure the glass wasn't flush with the sides but tech wasn't there yet.
If apple returns the iPhone 12 to that squared off shape with flush glass like they did with the new iPads it would be the best iPhone ever. It would be very durable also as the front and back glass are flush with the side so drops wouldn't hit the edge of the screen ever just the frame. If they used the stainless band on the x and xs that band won't shatter the glass under it either.
I could design a better looking phone than the 11. A little kid could probably also. Its just getting a newer camera design through to the head guys that make the choices on what actually gets put on the phone. In my option the 4 cameras or whatever it is should of been across the phone horizontally. Side to side. That would make it look a ton better and symmetrical. Would also stop the wobble on a table. But apple is sticking with this idea probably because it was the easiest to add on one side due to component layout inside.
Hoping 2020 is iPhone 4 return, glass back and front, stainless steel sides and no notch. Oh and horizontal 4 camera setup.
This year sucks

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
As much as I liked the 4, I liked the 5 just as much. Regarding the 6, I found it way too big and slippery. Kinda like my XR but I ain’t complaining. It’s a cool phone.
The funny thing is that in retrospektive the most modern looking iPhone was the 5. Although the iPhone 4 is so much praised for it's design it looks dated now. If you imagine the iPhone 5 without the home button but with the flat sides (same as the iPad Pro) that would be a killer design.

If you found the 6 way too big and slippery I wonder why you like the XR. It's even bigger and also slippery without a case. I also went from the 6 to the XR and looked with a tear in my eye to it how thin and light it was.....

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
No way. People raved about that design.
When the phone was lost in a bar and people on these boards started talking about it there was a LOT of hate on it. Apple wouldn't do this and there's no way that's real. If its real no way I'm buying kind of stuff.
I wasn't one of those people but on the boards it did get hate at first. Normal people not on forums loved the design.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
When the phone was lost in a bar and people on these boards started talking about it there was a LOT of hate on it. Apple wouldn't do this and there's no way that's real. If its real no way I'm buying kind of stuff.
I wasn't one of those people but on the boards it did get hate at first. Normal people not on forums loved the design.
Always the most vocal on boards.

naturalstar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
The iPhone 4 was a masterpiece in its time. Sure the glass wasn't flush with the sides but tech wasn't there yet.
If apple returns the iPhone 12 to that squared off shape with flush glass like they did with the new iPads it would be the best iPhone ever. It would be very durable also as the front and back glass are flush with the side so drops wouldn't hit the edge of the screen ever just the frame. If they used the stainless band on the x and xs that band won't shatter the glass under it either.
I could design a better looking phone than the 11. A little kid could probably also. Its just getting a newer camera design through to the head guys that make the choices on what actually gets put on the phone. In my option the 4 cameras or whatever it is should of been across the phone horizontally. Side to side. That would make it look a ton better and symmetrical. Would also stop the wobble on a table. But apple is sticking with this idea probably because it was the easiest to add on one side due to component layout inside.
Hoping 2020 is iPhone 4 return, glass back and front, stainless steel sides and no notch. Oh and horizontal 4 camera setup.
This year sucks
I’m hoping the iPP is a signal to the iPhone returning to a similar design. I never owned the 4 or 5 (because AT&T was never going to get a dime of my money) but I always thought that was one of the best looking iPhone designs. Wondering how it hold up in the larger sizes though.

Reactions: x-evil-x

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors 603
Feb 14, 2008
Madison, WI
I seem to be in the minority but I feel the design this year’s release needs to beat is the jet black 7. The 4 and 5 looked great but as far as modern design goes (including usable screen size) that 7 is unrivaled IMO.

now i see it

macrumors 68040
Jan 2, 2002
its odd to read posts about the iPhone 4/4S being the best looking iPhone in history. How soon people forget.
I have one in a drawer and used it recently (and for a year after I got it) and it's a brick. Or at least feels like you're carrying a brick in your pocket. It's super heavy for its diminutive size.
Perhaps it looks nice in photos, but it sure as heck isn't nice carrying around. The glass back accomplished nothing but increase the weight unnecessarily. The iPhone 5/5S was a much better phone to use (and I've got one of those in a drawer too) and looks like a stretched 4.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2018
I seem to be in the minority but I feel the design this year’s release needs to beat is the jet black 7. The 4 and 5 looked great but as far as modern design goes (including usable screen size) that 7 is unrivaled IMO.
The Jet Black 7 Plus is the most beautiful smartphone in the history of the world ever period.

Suttree

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2018
What? The iPhone 4 is UGLY. Remember the leaks of the stolen device? The MacRumors groupthink was certain and fixed. The iPhone 4 was a failure in aesthetics. Hence, the iPhone XI, no matter how it works, no matter what improvements made, no matter how much better an iPhone it is, looks hideous. 3 lenses is uglier than 1. Why? Who knows. Just is. Having a cut-out for an advanced camera array and speaker is ugly. Why? Because a display should not have a cut-out. Says who? Who knows. Just is.

Reactions: Mt44 and s54

s54

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
Yep, I did use an iPhone 4 for two years back then, the material choice was nice, but it was just a little bit too hefty for its size. The iPhone 5 didn't feel any flimsier or more prone to scratches, and while the back didn't look as cool as the glass one, it was certainly more shatter proof.

By the way, I found that rounded phones like we have since the iPhone 6 are much better for jeans pockets – you won't see the color of the jeans wearing off where the edge of the phone pressures it from inside the pocket, which is a nice bonus to the newer designs. :D
Or perhaps you just buy cheap, bad jeans. Walmart quality most likely.

I always pocketed my iPhone 4 and 5 in jeans and never experienced color of the jeans wearing off.
[doublepost=1564096656][/doublepost]
What? The iPhone 4 is UGLY. Remember the leaks of the stolen device? The MacRumors groupthink was certain and fixed. The iPhone 4 was a failure in aesthetics. Hence, the iPhone XI, no matter how it works, no matter what improvements made, no matter how much better an iPhone it is, looks hideous. 3 lenses is uglier than 1. Why? Who knows. Just is. Having a cut-out for an advanced camera array and speaker is ugly. Why? Because a display should not have a cut-out. Says who? Who knows. Just is.
Ha ha!!

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
I do not know of many “males” who use the word beautiful when describing a cell phone.
I think hardware tech is sexy. is there something wrong with me?
ive also gone caseless since iPhone 4. I just feel sad when I cant use something without protection. Cases make the experience for me much worse and annoying at times.

Last edited:

Fthree

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
All of my iPhones look similar to me as i put them all in a silicone case....

edhchoe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
The three camera bulge looks hideous. Don't even think about comparing it to iPhone 4.

1rottenapple

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2004
Almost everyone said the iPhone 4 was hideous when it was leaked. I believe it will be tied to the 4 & 5 in beauty at least. But will look better than 6-XS anyways.

I believe that the camera will look very beautiful in person. The only complaint is the obvious notch.
Lol overwhelmingly no. The big camera stamp looks bad on the pictures and concept. It just looks uneven.