Do you think the Iphone 3G speaker is great?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wfiphone, Apr 14, 2009.

1. wfiphone macrumors member

I don't like it after my father got a Bold. The speakers on the Bold are so good that they could replace external speakers esp if you travel a lot.

2. haddman macrumors regular

The iPhone speaker sucks for voice calls. It plays music loud enough, but call volume is just horrbily to low. If you try to use it while driving you basically have to hold the speaker very close to your head to hear anything. BB's definitley have better speaker phones.

3. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

It's not great, but better then the 2G I have.

I heard the palm pre's speaker. It's bad a55. You can actually do conference calls hands free without a problem.

I hope the next iPhone they'll improve on it.

4. randomusername macrumors 6502

The need to be much louder and much clearer and crisper. They need to look at the Bold for inspiration.

5. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

It's not "great", but it's often good enough.

But, obviously, I'd happily accept a better speaker.

6. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

From what I have seen, Apple lacks in speaker quality. My MacBook's (late 2007) speakers are not too much better then the iPhone 3G's. Maybe that is a compliment to the iPhone 3G, I don't know.

Regardless though the iPhone is still an amazing device and Apple has done a lot in the 2+ (including research and development) years it has been in the business of cellphones. Give them the same amount of time that RIM or Nokia has had and see what Apple does.

I love updated hardware and I can't wait to see what Apple does next.

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Although it is a HUGE step up from the 1st iPhone, there's definitely room for improvement.

I'm sure we'll see something fairly efficient in the new model this summer.

8. DrCheese macrumors member

I only got my iphone last week and I already think the speaker is terrible, my main issue is it's placement. I find it stupidly easy to cover it with a finger accidently whist holding it.
    My N95 had speakers on either side of the device which meant it was fairly hard to cover it whist holding it upright. It did make it quite a thick phone tho.

My other (software) bug with the iphone speaker is that the volume can't be separated from the ringer, i.e if I turn the sound down in the ipod application, it turns my ringer down as well. If I forget to turn it back up after I miss calls.

9. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Um.. that shouldn't occur. I know with both of my iPhones, a 2G on 2.2.1 and a 3G on 3.0b2 that the volume control is separate.

I can turn down the iPod with no affect to the iPhone ring volume. I can silent the iPhone and still listen to the iPod through the iPhone external speaker.

10. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Ya know I was thinking. One of Apples main business is music and music player. You would think they would spend more R&D or work with more quality partners to make really good speakers for all there products, ie iPhone, iPod Touch, Macbooks, etc.

11. wfiphone thread starter macrumors member

Im glad you guys agree. The sad thing is I don't really like headphones bc music in my ears gives me a headache after a while so I use the speaker a lot on my Iphone. The irony is that my dad NEVER uses his speaker.

You guys know where I can find quality bluetooth external speakers?

12. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

My MacBook has great (and loud) sound.

13. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

wow you guys are freaking whiny

since when does apple claim to make high quality AUDIO PRODUCTS

if you buy a set of apple speakers because you think they make high quality speakers, then you are an equal moron as the person who thinks Bose Makes good speakers just because they are overpriced

When designing a product there is always a trade off, apple made a size-weight/sound quality compromise. Honestly I'm glad they did.

Connected to my speaker system at home/Headphones the iPhone sounds great.

14. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

1. Bose makes great sounding speakers. They are expensive in the speaker arena just as Apple is expensive in the computer arena. I don't see how talking about price on an Apple forum can be considered relevant.

2. Of course the iPhone is louder when connected to an outgoing speaker setup. People were commenting on the iPhone's speaker, not its ability to transfer sound to an outgoing source for sound.

15. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

It's ok but that is about it

Should be a bit louder, imo

16. wfiphone thread starter macrumors member

Ya and thing is you KNOW they can put a better speaker they just want to nickel and dime us. Greed.

17. shabbado macrumors member

shabbado

I think the iPhone speaker is pretty darn good for a mobile device. Sucks that only one side works though.

18. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Ummmm,

1. Actually, for their price-bracket BOSE do make high quality speakers. Do you think that in the overall scheme of things, BOSE prices are high?! Haha, I guess you've never heard really high-end speakers then.

2. What does audio-output to speakers have to do with the speaker on the iPhone itself? You are just waffling verbiage for the sake of it.

19. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Implying that the other side should work...which is wrong. There is only one speaker in the iPhone, you should know that. It works exactly as intended, and if you don't like it, get a different phone.

20. spikedfo macrumors regular

21. John T macrumors 68020

John T

It is beyond the rules of physics to get anything remotely resembling quality sound from a speaker/enclosure the size of the iPhone.

If you want to hear what sort of audio quality the iPhone is capable of, have a listen through a pair of decent quality 'phones e.g. Sennheiser HD650's. The result could hardly be described as "Hi-Fi", but for all that, surprisingly good :)

22. Pared macrumors 65816

That's the perfect answer to this thread, IMO.

23. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

I have a Macbook Pro, and the sound is okay. I mean it's loud but somewhat tinny.

24. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

If they make the speakerphone volume in the next hardware release at least 3x louder than it currently is in the iPhone 3G, then I will be happy.

25. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

One of the late '08 ones?