Do you think the iPhone X is overpriced? (technology wise)

Do you think the iPhone X is overpriced

• Yes I'm not a fan

Votes: 47 48.5%
  • No considering the technology involved

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • Yes but i'll buy one anyway

Votes: 32 33.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dave245

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Considering the technology that has gone into the iPhone X, do you think that it's overpriced? there are a couple of article's that i think make some good points on this, obviously it's a personal way of thinking.
When considering the technology from years ago, we now have things like 4K in these devices and they seem to be getting more and more advanced. Are you a fan? i'm not talking about software here, or the opinions on whether Face ID works well (that has been covered enough in other threads).

EDIT: considering what the below links are saying, do you consider the iPhone X overpriced? thought i would add this because some people are asking based on what metric could the iPhone X be over priced.

https://televisionmagnets.wordpress.com/2017/09/18/why-the-iphone-x-isnt-overpriced-technology-wise/

https://www.wired.com/story/the-iphone-x-isnt-that-expensive-actually/

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/apple-iphone-x-first-review-11158936

Last edited:

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
For years specs were an excuse android users used to say iPhones are overpriced. This is while iPhones always benchmarked right at the top everywhere it mattered. There is an even bigger gap now between the A11 and the best Exynos chip. While I personally am not sure about FaceID, it looks like a much better implementation than Samsung’s, which is relatively slow and can easily be fooled. I think it’s an expensive device, but I don’t think it’s grossly overpriced. It’s not worth it to me, but I can appreciate the technology in it.

apolloa

macrumors G5
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Yes absolutely it's overpriced, they didn't exactly R&D it either considering the facial scanning and machine learning tech was acquired by buying other companies, instead of developing it themselves.

I need to try one though before I'd make a purchasing decision.

Everything else in it already exists, bar 3D Touch on an OLED screen anyway. Oh and a fugly bar cut into the screen!

Droidbricker

Suspended
Sep 13, 2016
Yes, it’s overpriced. All cell phone manufacturers, including Apple are pricing phones high to get YOU into a financing agreement with your carrier. The carriers are able to lock you into a contract with them AND charge you more for your plan.
The iPhone X is nothing more than an incremental update and completely unworthy of the price tag. I’m still buying 2 of them outright because I’ll save money switching to whatever carrier is cheaper whenever I want.

Reactions: Bako-MacAddict

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Overpriced based on what metric? How much do you think a smartphone should cost and what are you basing it on?

Reactions: AdonisSMU

Braddrum

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2013
UK
Yes it is BUT i'm still buying.

There isn't anything that I use more on a daily basis than my phone and that's the way I justify to myself. A years worth of ownership costs £3.27 a day and its worth that to me.

People can complain about the cost all day but if you don't want to pay it you don't have too.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Apple's cost to manufacturer, along with R&D and marketing, is definitely higher on the X. Apple margins have always been high so it's hard to say. They are actually making less per unit on the X so you could argue that it's not overpriced. For me, I don't feel like it's overpriced for what you are getting. Pretty advanced tech in there.

Johnluke91

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2016
Italy
Yes, it's overpriced. It's a beautiful device, but it is still a phone. It has so many good news but they are exaggerating, its price should be to iPhone 7. Also Tim Cook (i respect him) said that Apple devices are not for rich people. For many products it may be true, but not the iPhone X.

Dave245

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Overpriced based on what metric? How much do you think a smartphone should cost and what are you basing it on?
I provided a few links that talk about this, and as i said the technology, personally i don't consider it overpriced but i can see why some people would. Technology in phone's has advanced a lot. 4K at 60 frames per second video is a good feature for example, i think it all depends on how much you value things like that.
[doublepost=1505740053][/doublepost]
Yes, it's overpriced. It's a beautiful device, but it is still a phone. It has so many good news but they are exaggerating, its price should be to iPhone 7. Also Tim Cook (i respect him) said that Apple devices are not for rich people. For many products it may be true, but not the iPhone X.
I do think it's a more premium device, the iPhone X uses a stainless steel band around the phone where as the 8 and 8 Plus use aluminium, i think that's an example of this.

Johnluke91

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2016
Italy
I provided a few links that talk about this, and as i said the technology, personally i don't consider it overpriced but i can see why some people would. Technology in phone's has advanced a lot. 4K at 60 frames per second video is a good feature for example, i think it all depends on how much you value things like that.
[doublepost=1505740053][/doublepost]

I do think it's a more premium device, the iPhone X uses a stainless steel band around the phone where as the 8 and 8 Plus use aluminium, i think that's an example of this.
I love the materials of iPhone X, I wanted so much a return to stainless steel and glass, but also my iPhone 4S was designed with these materials and it wasn't so much. I think at that time would have been more justified the price of X, as most phones were made of plastic, not in 2017, is no longer a novelty.
This is just my thought.

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
Apple clearly mentioned in the keynote iPhone X is going to lead future generations of iPhones. It's packed with some great technology. I personally love the design and I am going to buy it.

Also we are going to see 6.4 inch version of the same design next year which i am eagerly waiting to see. Alot of excitement in the coming years.

Reactions: Dave245

Droidbricker

Suspended
Sep 13, 2016
The iPhone X production costs are estimated to be $412.75 per unit; a difference of $586.25 between production and MSRP.
The iPhone 6 production costs are estimated to be ~$200 to make in 2014; a difference of $449 between production and MSRP.
Profit margins are never going to shrink, which is why we are seeing $1000 phones without any ground breaking tech.

Dave245

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I love the materials of iPhone X, I wanted so much a return to stainless steel and glass, but also my iPhone 4S was designed with these materials and it wasn't so much. I think at that time would have been more justified the price of X, as most phones were made of plastic, not in 2017, is no longer a novelty.
This is just my thought.
I'm not trying to justify it i think people are free to make up their own minds, but from what i can gather (Apple's website) the glass is different from that of the iPhone 4 and so is the stainless steel, the one on the iPhone X is surgical grade i think that's different from that of the 4S. It will be interesting to see how durable the iPhone X is, will people still need cases for example.

Attachments

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Based on other manufacturers can sell their phone having similar hardware specs at only 1/2 to 2/3 the price of X
And when has Apple ever been as cheap or cheaper than the competition? Something is worth as much as people are willing to pay for it.
[doublepost=1505745921][/doublepost]
The iPhone X production costs are estimated to be $412.75 per unit; a difference of $586.25 between production and MSRP.
The iPhone 6 production costs are estimated to be ~$200 to make in 2014; a difference of $449 between production and MSRP.
Profit margins are never going to shrink, which is why we are seeing $1000 phones without any ground breaking tech.
What would be considered groundbreaking tech?

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Lets be honest we don't actually know what it costs. We also don't know what machines and other tech had to be developed to manufacture the iPhone X...that I'm sure Apple paid for as well. What we know is the alleged cost of the parts involved. We don't know what money actually exchanged hands.

Don't assume that the sum of the parts is all the cost. There's man hours in terms of each part including the software. Looking at Apple's financial statements they typically price in a 30%-38% margin on their devices. So to me that is the most reliable indicator of is it expensive. 30%-38% margin is reasonable and not overpriced.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Don't assume that the sum of the parts is all the cost. There's man hours in terms of each part including the software. Looking at Apple's financial statements they typically price in a 30%-38% margin on their devices. So to me that is the most reliable indicator of is it expensive. 30%-38% margin is reasonable and not overpriced.
Fact that other manufacturers are making far less profit margin just simply means IPX is over-priced no matter how you spin it

Reactions: Droidbricker

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Fact that other manufacturers are making far less profit margin just simply means IPX is over-priced no matter how you spin it
No it doesn't. It means that what they are offering isn't worth it. Other manufacturers are offering up free Google code on top of cheap hardware. What did they expect people to pay for this?

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
What other company has told you what their profit margins are? Something isn’t overpriced if people are willing to pay for it. The only way the X will be overpriced is if people don’t buy it.