Do you think the next gen iPad will have an improved display?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PhaserFuzz, Nov 16, 2010.

1. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

I'm curious what you guys think? I'm thinking about getting an iPad soon and this is honestly the only thing making me want to wait. I would think they'd keep the same display for now and maybe improve it in 2012? The only change I see in the near future is a face time camera.

2. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Possibly, but I doubt it will be Retina-based. I would be very surprised if they did though! :)

3. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

It will be improved but not the 326 ppi we see (or don't see) in the iPhone 4. It will be improved to the best quality for how that device is to be used. 12-18 inches from your face instead of right in your face like how you use a phone.

4. Vihzel macrumors 6502

I really hope that they improve the display. It's one of the areas that they can really improve on. It's a bit too pixelated.

5. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Is everyone forgetting that most of the computers and laptops have displays that are only in the 100 ppi range? Yet everyone is complaining over 136 ppi on the iPad. Sure it could be bumped up, then we all have to wait for the devs to update their apps. Just like we have to wait for all of them to update the iPad apps for multitasking. I predict a bump to 1280x1024....IF they bump it up. :p

6. XboxEvolved macrumors regular

It will be a "retina display" sure. It's a marketing term that they use for iPhone and iPod touch and both are not the exact same thing.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It's hard not to complain a bit about the iPad display if you have an iPhone 4 you use every day. Those are ridiculously clear. When I use my dad's iPad, I think, "This is pretty nice, but it's not iPhone 4 nice." Apple set the bar high with the Retina display. I would assume the next iPad would try like crazy to do that, but if it doesn't I wouldn't be shocked. The iPad display is no slouch, but it's just not A+.

8. sapporobaby, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010

sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Your very thoughts have been discussed over and over and over. I bet if you use the search feature, you will find these discussions. Someone (can't remember whom) gave a very detailed explanation. It was pretty good reading.

9. vant macrumors 65816

To keep the 4:3 aspect ratio, we have the following options:

STOCK 1024x768 (132PPI)
    1280x960 (165PPI)
    1600x1200 (206PPI)
    2048x1536 (264PPI)

Based on this, I think it is easily conclude-able that the iPad will never see 300+PPIs for at least half a decade.

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

In all seriousness, why is that? I mean is there a physical barrier that keeps that PPI from being reached? What makes it more difficult than the iPhone? I honestly know little to nothing about display technology other than I wants me LEDs behind all of mine. My new iMac has a crazy-bright display compared to my traditional LCD I had before. I have to dim it halfway to keep from feeling like I'm staring at the Sun.

But seriously, I'd love to know what would make some 300 PPI display on an iPad impossible.

11. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I think it has to do with driving the display, rendering the images, etc.... Someone did a massive explanation (think he was from NASA or somewhere) detailing why it would be possible but maybe not financially practical.

12. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's not a barrier in making the display, it's a barrier in running it. A normal computer's GPU could handle 2048x1536 pretty easily, however the GPU in the iPad would get bogged down with that high of a resolution especially for gaming. The iPhone/iPod can pull 300ppi off because 960x640 is still a pretty low resolution.

13. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Thanks alust2013,

You pretty much nailed what was said in the other thread regarding this. I think the cost would be insane as well. I do not think many will pay 10000 dollars for an iPad. :)

14. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

No, they want to keep the price as low as possible. Also the person who said it's pixilated I've never noticed that ever.

15. PhaserFuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm thinking they'll keep the display the same.. at least for another year. I see them bumping up the storage and adding FaceTime camera in the next model, but that's it. More displays means more work for devs and it could get confusing with all the different resolutions.

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Makes plenty o' sense to me now, especially after having problems with World of Warcraft on a three-year-old MacBook Pro. It didn't help to have a video adapter that eventually would eff up enough to kill it, but I know the importance of a good GPU for anything half-fancy.

Knowing Apple's love of long battery life, I'm betting the resolution won't be bumped. I really don't think the iPad display is bad. I'm just spoiled with the iPhone 4. I may or may not be able to get an iPad next year, so I've been telling myself "you might get a better display" on the next one. If that won't be the case, surely Apple will make a storage improvement or something like that. The addition of a FaceTime camera is hardly something that will send me flying to the store. I've got one on my iPhone and have only turned it on by accident during the days of antennagate. The low line of 16GB is a little low when you start actually putting things on there, but I'm not dumb enough to think another 16GB is worth $100 since it won't double as my iPod like my iPhone does. I don't get why a 16GB bump to the 32GB model is another $100, yet the 32GB bump to the 64GB model is also $100.

17. orpheus1120, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2010

orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

If you have followed the progression on the iPhones and iPod touch, you would know Apple made only incremental improvement for the past 3 revisions, only a major overhaul for the current model. So I think it would be wise to draw some comparison and clues regarding the iPads.

I would personally think a bump in the processor and FaceTime camera with iOS 5.0 would suffice as the next improvements for the iPad 2G. Display improvement will probably come in the generations next.

-----------------------------------

And of course battery life improvement if I might add.

18. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I'd agree with this - Apple describe the iPad display as follows:
    The high-resolution, 9.7-inch LED-backlit IPS display on iPad is remarkably crisp and vivid.
    I don't personally think they'll be in any rush to replace it to be honest

19. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Bearing in mind the iPad apps currently take up only circa 10% of the total iOS apps available. Apple will most likely strengthen the growth and establish stabilization until a display revision. Like the OP pointed out, a revision in display resolution in the next model will only introduce fragmentation in a market that is starting to grow, and that may backfire in the event market growth is hindered for some unforeseen circumstances.

So I guess Apple will built upon its current available technology, and offer upgrades that is in line with its traditional low cost/high profit strategy, while monitoring annual growth percentage until the point where upgrading the display becomes the only inevitable path of succession.

Right now I see no reason for that since the iPad has an almost complete monopoly on the tablet market. The demand does not justify the need.

20. spammerhamster macrumors 6502

The GPU aside, a higher resolution needs higher resolution images and textures in the apps. The size of some apps can get HUGE.... And then we've got a whole new can of problems.

One can still wish though.

21. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

you get the point. there's no reason to improve the res. they'll work on both battery & cameras, maybe some design tweaks,too. And they'll at least double the ram (even if it only bother geeks)

22. entwife macrumors regular

Hahah I can only presume that sarcasm and/or you don't own one. The display is beautiful and I've been nothing but impressed with mine since I got it.

23. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Umm, actually, making it would be a bit of a pig as well. The technology certainly exists to do something approaching the iPhone pixel density at iPad size but even a simple doubling of resolution to 2048 x 1536 would give you 3,145,728 pixels versus 460,800 in the iPhone 4 display. With almost seven times the pixels per panel it gets far, far harder to ensure that they're all fault free and that, in turn pushes the cost up very very quickly possibly to the point where it's not commercialy viable.

But yeah, the main barrier is more than likely the supporting hardware. A mobile processor that can manage, say, the Epic Citadel demo at 2048 x 1536 without utterly destroying battery life would be lovely but, I suspect, may be a tad unrealistic at this point in time.

24. Vihzel macrumors 6502

I can only presume that you haven't been spoiled by high resolution screens such as the 1920 x 1200 on the 17" MBP, the retina on the iPhone 4, or the one on the current 13" MBA. You'll definitely notice the difference in terms of pixels. The screen itself is beautiful but the resolution? Not so.

25. entwife macrumors regular

I'm writing this on my iPhone 4 as we speak.

I'm still nothing but impressed with my iPad screen.

Will have agree to disagree.