Do you think there are alien beings on earth?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Doctor Q, Apr 9, 2010.

?

Are there aliens among us?

1. Absolutely not

51 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. Doubt it very much

67 vote(s)
    35.1%
  3. Maybe, maybe not

34 vote(s)
    17.8%
  4. Probably

19 vote(s)
    9.9%
  5. Certainly

20 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

A press release reports on a survey asking people in different countries whether they think aliens are on earth disguised as humans.

Those countries with citizens most likely to believe that the disguised visitors are walk and close by are from India (45%) and China (42%). Those countries where inhabitants are least likely to believe that aliens are walking about disguised as humans are from Belgium (8%), Sweden (8%) and the Netherlands (8%).
    Among English-speaking countries it was 24% for the USA, 23% for Australia, 16% for Canada, and 16% for Great Britain.

What do YOU think?

I didn't put "I saw one" or "I am one" in the poll but if that's the case, please let us know.

2. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Certainly, but not like most here are thinking of it. No, I don't believe that there are beings from another planet, but I do believe there are angels and devils all around us. I believe that I am a spiritual being. Until Jesus comes back and renews the earth, I am an alien here. :cool:

So anyway, you said that if we are one, to let you know. Just figured I'd let you know. :p

3. bobertoq, Apr 9, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011

bobertoq macrumors 6502a

After approximately 3.36 seconds of contemplation I have concluded that it is highly improbable.

4. delux246 macrumors member

the show "V" is not real. I high doubt there are aliens on this planet...

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

There could be but I doubt they are the way people might envision them.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That's just what they want you to think.

......exactly like in "V"!!!!

7. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I want to believe

As much as I love reading/watching conspiracies about aliens, no, I don't think there are any here.

Not at my local Blockbuster.

/dumb joke

Blasphemy!

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

probably.

kind of hard to tell though, isnt it?

i mean like... the universe is so big, surely another race wouldnt be close enough to know our existence?

9. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

Who ever voted "Certainly" needs to go take an astronomy course.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If there were, why would the bother?

I am not one, despite my wife's protestations to the contrary.

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Slowboat it.

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I don't understand it. A good portion of the scientific community believe there probably is life on other planets. If that's the case why wouldn't there be aliens on this one ?

13. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Considering that some people are as different from other people as those people are from dogs or chimpanzees, I suppose it depends on what your definition of "alien" is.

14. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

I have refrained from voting, but there are a number of posters on this, and the PRSI forums that would make me seriously wonder what planet they came from.

KGB

15. bobertoq macrumors 6502a

Well, think about it. The closest stars to the Earth are Alpha Centauri A and B, which are 24,942,474,700,000 miles away, and the next closest is only 35,053,494,400,000 miles away.

It's unlikely that intelligent life exists on a planet orbiting either of these stars. But even if there were an intelligent race, it would probably destroy itself before it could develop technology advanced enough to get anywhere near Earth.

16. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Absolutely I do, I have the photo to prove it:

Attached Files:

17. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I believe the possibility of alien life on our planet exists, but the idea of them disguised as humans is absurd.

18. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Aliens here on Earth? Not bloody likely.

Intelligent beings and civilizations throughout the universe? Absolutely.

Bet they wished they had Macs & Apple gear.

19. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

20. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Imagine a gigantic two-dimensional scatter plot.

One one axis, we have time. Wikipedia suggests that the estimated age of the universe is about 13 billion years, so let's say that we're about half-way through, so the time axis goes from 0 (the big bang?) to 26 billion years.

On the other axis is distance. Imagine representing all possible locations of the universe on this one-dimensional axis, like flattening all of space into a long string. If you prefer, imagine the plot as a measure of the entity's distance from our solar system.

So somewhere on this scatter plot is a tiny speck representing the location of Earth, and at this current point in time. In fact, let's go ahead and widen that speck to represent all of known "modern" humankind and all of the known regions of space we have explored (namely our solar system). Now our dot covers a few thousand years on the time axis and a few dozen (hundred?) light years of distance.

Now, supposing aliens exist, have existed, or will one day exist, plot their locations and times on the chart.

What are the odds that other aliens developed during the same time as we did? (Even if they are billions of light years away.)

What are the odds that other aliens developed (or will develop) in the same rough area of space as we are in? (Even if they existed billions of years ago, or will come to exist billions of years from now.)

What are the odds that BOTH occur?

Conclusion: if there is alien life it literally exists a long, long time ago (or from now) in a galaxy far, far away...

21. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

I believe there are aliens throughout the universe, and that they have visited earth at some point. Think about it, if we only recently(in the universe's time span) began exploring space, who's to say that a civilization a few thousand years more developed than us wouldn't have a way to travel the universe.

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

23. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Because, again, that depends on there being a civilization developing within a few thousand years of our own, and not one that existed and then died out millions or billions of years ago, or one that has yet to exist. If a colony of intelligent life developed on Mars, 2 billion years from now, we'd never know about it, despite them being "right next door".

Even presuming such life does exist, you have to assume that it's intelligent life, then smart enough to come up with advanced super high speed space travel, and then know in which direction to come looking...

24. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i also believe that the chances for aliens to exist somewhere in the universe are likely, that they are currently on earth unlikely and that are disguised as human very unlikely.
    the chances that supernatural angels and demons exist are even more unlikely than that.

25. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I do believe there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe, though there seems to be very little of it on this planet. :)

I don't, however, believe they are zooming around some cornfield in Iowa scaring the crap out of people. Nor do I believe they are running around this planet disguised as a human.

However, after seeing some of the threads waloshin has been starting lately, I am starting to wonder about that. I suspect he may be an alien trying to see how humans react to weird questions and polls.