Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wowipod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Queensland
Do you think? I can get my hands on plenty of unlocked 3GS any size and 3Gs and was wondering if I could start getting them and selling them on ebay or something. Do you think I'd get many takers?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Yes, but price them reasonably. They sell for more than locked iPhones but some places sell them at ridiculous prices. Play.com sells unlocked 32GB 3GS' for £899 (AUD $1828 / USD $1468)

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
yes you should be able to get around

$600 on ebay for unlocked iphones, could make a lot if you could get them cheep

koollectablz

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
Do you think? I can get my hands on plenty of unlocked 3GS any size and 3Gs and was wondering if I could start getting them and selling them on ebay or something. Do you think I'd get many takers?

IMHO the whole unlocked thing is being overegged really - at least coming from the UK standpoint. Sure its nice to be unlocked, but when you buy one over here you are paying for a contract anyway and it'ld be foolish not to use what it comes with - contract or PAYG.

Helps that the O2 network isn't actually that bad either, coverage wise.

Having said that - I'd pay a premium for a factory unlocked as compared to a PAYG. Not much though - maybe £30-50 max.

wowipod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Queensland
I can get them for just over $1040AU/£511/$836US. Not massively cheap but they are unlocked sealed in the box.

wowipod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Queensland
You mean EXACTLY A$1040. That's what Apple sell them for.

Yeh I just noticed that. Must be where my friend is getting them from.

EDIT: I have seen them going for $900+US on ebay, so there might be some sales there but I think people have got it covered.

allymac

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
IMHO the whole unlocked thing is being overegged really - at least coming from the UK standpoint. Sure its nice to be unlocked, but when you buy one over here you are paying for a contract anyway and it'ld be foolish not to use what it comes with - contract or PAYG.

Helps that the O2 network isn't actually that bad either, coverage wise.

Not true. There are a lot of people living outside of big cities where they have poor network coverage. My village has no O2 signal - the only network available in my village for voice calls is t-mobile, forget 3G. I could name about 20 people off the top of my head to are skipping the iPhone because of network coverage. Apple's loss.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Not true. There are a lot of people living outside of big cities where they have poor network coverage.

That'll be the same in other locations for other networks. It doesn't mean O2's network is any worse overall than any of the others.

allymac

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
That'll be the same in other locations for other networks. It doesn't mean O2's network is any worse overall than any of the others.

I didn't say O2's coverage was bad, just that mobile phone coverage is poor outside big cities. Of course that means for all networks. They ain't going to bother shoving mobile masts in at great expense in the country where people are most likely to be nimbies (not in my back yard) just so 200 people can get a signal.

Roll on femtocell :D

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK

Exactly. Up on Orkney O2's the only network that gives coverage.

I really wish they sold it unlocked. I've changed my provider 3 times in the last year (usage patterns change, better deals etc) and I'll be changing at least 2 more in the next year (moving abroad).

I have a 2G so I'm covered, but I do think it's stupid not to give people an easy unlock.

lavinci

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
I wouldn't mind buying unlocked iPhones to use. Better than running a 2 year contract.

mark.mathew8877

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2009
Of course.There are many people eagerly waiting to use i phone but being not able to use because of lock.If you start selling unlocked i phones from a reliable platform i think you will get a good response.But as someone mentioned earlier you should be careful to decide a reasonable price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.