Do you think they'll dump the MacBook line?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fd9, Sep 21, 2010.

1. fd9 macrumors newbie

I have a feeling they'll eventually phase out the MacBook line in favor of the MBP/MBA notebooks. The 13" MBP is almost the same as the MacBook in terms of specs, the only real difference being the aluminum uni-body, which should really be included in the entire MacBook family anyway. I can see how the Air and Pro are two different beasts entirely, but the negligible differences between the 13" Pro and the regular MacBook no longer makes sense to have them separate. The white MacBook is also starting to look a bit dated.

Just thought I'd throw that out there and see if anyone else agrees.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I don't think so, because there actually are a lot of people who buy it, mostly because it can be had for $200 less. Personally, if they are going to drop anything it will be the MBA IMO. It's slow selling, and hard to improve on due to the diminuitive size, not to mention, expensive.

3. fd9 thread starter macrumors newbie

If you upgrade to 4GB (to match the Pro), you end up with a difference of only $100, which roughly makes up for the price of the aluminum uni-body. That seems pretty negligible when you consider that you're putting down one grand on a notebook, don't you think? Also, I doubt that Apple can't reduce the price of the 13" Pro to match the current cost of the MacBook regardless.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Not that they can't drop the price, they just never do. I realize that if you upgrade it, the price difference is small, but for most users, the base macbook configuration really is enough.

5. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I think the MacBook is the best selling Apple laptop. It's popular with students and people who are new to the Mac. I don't think Apple would ever really kill the product line - it makes too much money for them.

6. circularforward macrumors 6502

The MacBook is surprisingly Apple's best selling computer ever.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Hell no.

They wont stop selling the Macbook any time soon. If there was no Macbook, there would be no Macbook Pro - that would just be stupid if there was no other Apple laptop to compare it to (MBA is out of question). Plus a lot of schools and stuff still buy the Macbooks. I think Apple might have to lower the price to $949 or $899 to make it competitive.

8. MarkSliced macrumors newbie

MarkSliced

It's always one of the bestsellers on Amazon (along with the base 13" MBP). The cheapest Macs have the strongest sales numbers - so I think it's here to stay.

9. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

I don't see it happening anytime soon. But if it did that would be a great day to sit back and read all of the complaints generated by the users here on macrumors forums.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The MacBooks will likely take 2nd place in Apple's promotion efforts as more apps become available for their effort for winning bids in education, business, and healthcare as they start pushing the iPads more.

Since the MacBooks are still the best machine for most of these places, I don't see it going away too soon.

Apple doesn't have the ability to compete with Dell, since Dell is able to sell them a complete package from top to bottom in any of these industries right now -- with Dell have a wider range of servers and misc needed equipment and the ability to be a 1 stop shop for servicing the client.