Do you trust the iPhone OS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by otis123, May 27, 2009.

1. otis123 macrumors 6502a

I love my iPhone, but I hate the OS, not the look and feel, but the performance, and sneakiness (I'll explain). 1. it chokes when you most need it: I've had to make time sensitive calls before and when i go to the phone, it has choked loading (very frustrating!) 2. very long start up times when rebooting it takes at least 5 minutes! while i do have 8 pages of apps and i know it needs sometime to load but that is ridiculous. 3. network issues: texts won't send when i have full bars, reception meter is not accurate, I compare to my dads 3G LG phone, it will have 3G and my iphone will have EDGE. 4. my speakers sometimes play even when i have headphones in!: i was playing pole position in class, with earbuds in, and it was also playing through the speaker! i looked like a moron! it is most likely crappy 3rd party programing, but it still happened.

I had a overall better experience with my EDGE iPhone than my 3G, but that was most likely because OS 1.0 was running the show.

If 3.0 doesn't drastically improve what i talked about, and my impression with the iphone i will consider getting something else.

2. nfl46 macrumors 603

What's better than the iPhone's OS?

Please don't say BB, and don't dare, I mean, DARE say Windows! LOL.
    And don't think about saying Palm Pre's b/c we aren't certain how it'll perform.

lol.

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

With over 3,000 posts in this forum alone, i must say this is the first thread I've ever seen of this nature.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Even though I agree it does lack at loading certain things at times but what smartphone doesnt?
    You cant compare it to $20 nokia phone or any other regural cell that does only phone calls and texts.

5. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Hahahahaha! This post is funny.
    1) It probably chokes due to too much stuff going on at once or having like 5 Safari pages running in the background.
    2) Your iPhone doesn't take 5 minutes to boot up.
    3) Your network issues are due to your service provider.
    4) The sound issues you're having are hardware related.

Based on the problems you're having, I suggest you restore your iPhone and if that doesn't work, then take it to the Genius Bar.

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I love the iPhone OS. Try to find another OS that does the same things but easier/simpler. Oh yeah, you can't. ;)

7. otis123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

1. this is the internet, and you know what I meant.
    2. it is a lot longer than it should take.
    3. I'm fairly sure everyone in the US has AT&T and i think we can all agree that the network sucks.
    4.it detected headphones, and it still played through the speaker anyway, i don't think that is a hardware issue, it would do it system wide and it doesn't.

I'm not saying that i hate the iPhone OS, it just needs to preform a lot better than it does.

8. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Haha. Let's do this again?
    1) By chokes I too meant slow down
    2) No, it's because you have 8 pages of apps. Ask anyone else who has that many.
    3) So you just agreed with me that it's a network issue. Therefor no fault of the OS.
    4) Due to the fact that I have never heard of this problem, I think you messed something up.

It would perform better if it had more ram and a better processor, which is hardware related, not OS related. Ever since 2.2.1 I have had Safari and like two other apps crash like once. Again, I advise you restore your iPhone.

9. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Everything is going to have its problems. But in terms of a mobile OS, the iPhone's is by far the best out there. Believe me, after using an iPhone, everything else looks and works like junk.

10. calvy macrumors 65816

I recently was given a Blackberry 8310. I HATE it for the same reasons you mentioned regarding the iPhone. Although, it takes longer to reboot. It does lag, and it pisses me off but not responding to my keystrokes or trackball movements.

Anyway, I attribute most of my slow downs to Winterboard and my theming. I put up with it because the stock look bores me. And it's still better than that piece of garbage blackberry.

11. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

Wait, why is it OK for the phone to choke with 8 pages of apps. If it supports eight pages then it should actually truely support 8 pages.

12. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I have two pages of apps on my iPod touch and it easily takes 4 or 5 minutes to boot up - even though Im jailbroken now, it's always taken that long; even on the legit software. Similar hardware, exact same OS, explain.

13. otis123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't want to get in a pissing war but answer me this, my mom also has a 3G and she comes home today and tells me " i didn't have any service all day!" and i thought that was weird because the area she works in always has good service because i frequently text her and she always gets them. so i look at her phone, it says no service, and mine has full bars at our house, so i restart her phone and she also gets full service, and then she gets all the texts and emails she missed during the day all delivered at once. So this wasn't a network issue, my dad works in the same building and i called him and he picked up, so there was no service outage. My mom is a noob when it comes to using her phone, she can make calls, texts, and use the ipod, thats about it, so she is your typical idevice user, not like us, and she has 3 apps and she never uses them. she should know how to restart the phone but thats really not the issue. the phone should work like a phone. i don't know it still could be AT&T's issue but i don't think it is.

14. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

LOL. On my iPod touch I have five and a half pages of apps and it takes like 30 seconds to boot up.

I wasn't creating an argument and didn't even bother reading all of the post I am currently quoting by you, because I know it's about service. I'm just pointing out that the majority of your issues are not related to the OS. Those are hardware and service provider related.
    EDIT: Just finished reading the main point of it. That seems like an every once in awhile issue that is very rare.

15. sd2009 macrumors 6502

Yous trolllllin :rolleyes:

16. sd2009 macrumors 6502

And I don't think I trust the iPhone OS. Back in the 1.x days you could just go to a website and it could run code on your phone :eek: That's how they did one of the first jailbreaks.

17. otis123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

if your going to belittle me, at least read what i posted. and yes part of the problem could be hardware, but i think the problems I described are apple's fault because they are at full steam ahead with adding new features and they are overlooking stability and preformance, I've seen amazing software on bad hardware, look at the things a DS can do and it does them flawlessly with a 66mhz cpu.

18. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

As a person who has both an iPhone and a BB, I must sadly say the BB is more reliable, and a phone that I can trust. The iPhone, albeit, jailbroken, drops calls randomly, and locks up...but when it does lock up, it is generally just the application, and all I have to do is hold down the hold button for it to kick me out to the home screen. Jailbroken 2.2.1.

The 8900 is running stock T-Mobile firmware. This is my main phone, and the iPhone is my secondary phone. I live the 8900 mainly for it's physical keyboard, and rock solid OS. If you get a BB, do not get a Storm, for it is worse than Windows Mobile.

19. sd2009 macrumors 6502

says it all...

20. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

It doesn't "choke" when you need it most. You're just perceiving the normal performance as being less than optimal when you become stressed and want things to work faster. It's a psychological thang.

21. darklyt macrumors regular

I've had the speaker/headphone problem before. Just stop playing the music, unplug, and you're fine. Nothing catastrophic (unless it's a regular problem in which case you can try restoring or something). Same goes with the no service thing and the 5 minute start up time. The phone needs to be restarted every once in awhile. I've had service problems that were immediately fixed by restarting my phone, which i rarely do, which results in a longer than expected down time for restart.

Is it perfect? No. Does it do what I personally need well enough for me to "trust" it? Definitely.

22. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Trust the iPhone? Not since my first restore, all the way back on launch day, due to the ALoD bug. I love my iPhone, but mainly because there isn't anything better (smartphone, made for native English speakers) on the market over here. But do I "trust" it? Absolutely NOT. In general, it's an unreliable piece of ****.

23. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

My 2.2.1 iphone was running slow a few months ago. For an unrelated reason I did a restore. It didn't speed it up as all. Then I did a restore and instead of using a backup I set it up as a new phone. The speed increased about 500%. Apparently there was something in the backup that was weighing down the whole OS.

I know it's not a great solution and I did lose loads of data but it might work for you.

24. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Get it replaced. If it is as bad as that, and you can demo it to the Genius Bar, you'll get a replacement. Or at least maybe some indication of what's causing it.

25. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

My ➁ on BB vs iPhone - an iPhone doesn't have a physical keyboard and won't stand up to the same level of usage as a BB. BB battery life, excluding Bold and Storm, is better. Its a more robust, reliable, usable phone. An iPhone is more fun to putz around with and works better for little tasks-based things, like a grocery list app, or a fitness app, or whatever, but its nothing the BB can't do. I have a BB because I need a phone that works all the time, everywhere, with battery life for days, gets my email, and lets me do things like look at the map where I am. I have an iPod Touch because I wanted to play around with iPhone apps. It goes with me on my workout and I play games on it and its a good distraction, but to me it wouldn't make a perfect phone. I can't type on it without looking at it, its not so great for use one-handed, and tell you the truth its not as good at being an iPod as my old iPod Nano (2, Red) was.