Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SarZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Guys and girls thanks for being positive about the watch receiving notifications
I'm now looking forward to receiving my watch

jd6272015

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2015
My notifications have been solid. As others have said unless you are using your phone you will receive the notices however your settings are set on your iPhone.

I did have an issue after the first 24 hours where I wasn't getting notified of anything at all. I realized after a half hour or so, and restarted the watch and all was well again.

I too understand the need to "trust" the watch for notifications, as I have to respond to certain e-mails/texts as they arrive for work urgently. After the reset I feel comfortable with the notifications. I receive quite a few e-mails/calls/texts so if nothing vibrates on my wrist after 45minutes I know something is wrong lol.

Sphyrna

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
I did just have an issue. I noticed a new mail badge on my Gmail extension in Chrome indicating I had 2 new emails. I didn't remember getting anything on the watch so took a look and no missed notification red dot. I swipe down to check notifications and nothing. I opened the Mail app and it refreshed and the 2 messages showed up. At the same time they showed up the watch ding'd and the notifications popped up. It's possible the emails just hadn't sync'd to my phone yet and that's why I didn't get a notification. Other than that issue my notifications have been working great.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
For me, the watch is as dependable as the phone is. I don't know why, but my phone will sometimes not show new emails. Sometimes it's just a delay and sometimes they won't show at all until I open the email app. So I might not always get notified of new mails, but that's because they didn't show up on the phone. Remember, your watch can't get anything that doesn't show up on the phone.

Kent01

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2015
Massachusetts
I have only failed to receive notifications from Tinder. Every other baked in app (mail, messages, phone, calendar, reminders) work just fine.

----------

For me, the watch is as dependable as the phone is. I don't know why, but my phone will sometimes not show new emails. Sometimes it's just a delay and sometimes they won't show at all until I open the email app. So I might not always get notified of new mails, but that's because they didn't show up on the phone. Remember, your watch can't get anything that doesn't show up on the phone.

Your mail service most likely does not support a Push system and instead is relying on you either manually downloading your emails or creating a faux-push system where it calls for emails to be downloaded at certain intervals.

The push service is dependent on whether or not the email service you are communicating with can support that function.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
Your mail service most likely does not support a Push system and instead is relying on you either manually downloading your emails or creating a faux-push system where it calls for emails to be downloaded at certain intervals.

The push service is dependent on whether or not the email service you are communicating with can support that function.

Yes, I'm not sure. Some of them are probably gmail messages, which apparently no longer support push. But my main email is Mac.com/Me.com and I've also had that happen with it. For example, I might be out of the house and the moment I come back home and into range of my home wifi I will get some messages. And yes, I have cellular data on. I find that restarting the phone seems to help.

Kent01

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2015
Massachusetts
Yes, I'm not sure. Some of them are probably gmail messages, which apparently no longer support push. But my main email is Mac.com/Me.com and I've also had that happen with it. For example, I might be out of the house and the moment I come back home and into range of my home wifi I will get some messages. And yes, I have cellular data on. I find that restarting the phone seems to help.

When you walk out of range then back in, does your Watch show you the notifications you missed?

If i'm out of range only my phone shows the notifications I missed while not being in range with the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.