Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use 3G, EDGE or WiFi at home?

• I use all three

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I use EDGE and WiFi

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • I use 3G and WiFi

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • I use 3G and EDGE

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I use EDGE only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use only WiFi

Votes: 54 58.7%
  • I use 3G only

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I dont understand.

If you turn off 3G, dont you lose the ability to send and recienve calls and texts?

If not, I honestly had no idea you can do them over wifi? :confused:

No you do not.

You can text while talking over a phone on edge and always have been.

With WiFi running data services are shoved over that network so does not effect calls. With WiFi and edge you get better battery life than running on 3G. Hell WiFI + edge takes away all the advantages 3G has over edge.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I only use 3G at home and work. If I'm paying $30 a month for the data, I'm sure as hell going to use it. I don't really notice a huge speed difference between 3G and WiFi at my house anyways.

greenpaz

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2009
I dont understand.

If you turn off 3G, dont you lose the ability to send and recienve calls and texts?

If not, I honestly had no idea you can do them over wifi? :confused:

+1

That's why I said 3G AND wifi. If only we could make calls over wifi -- that is, without paying through the nose for that microcell device AT&T is pimping.

pacmantech

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2006
I only use 3G at home and work. If I'm paying $30 a month for the data, I'm sure as hell going to use it. I don't really notice a huge speed difference between 3G and WiFi at my house anyways.
This.

I only switch on Wifi if I absolutely must. 3G service in my area is fast enough for what I use, and like Moon says, I don't notice much of a speed difference.

Also, my work Wifi network blocks all the major mail gateways, so I need to stay on 3G at work if I want my iPhone mailbox to stay current.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.