Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

well.....

• yes i do

Votes: 46 46.5%
  • no but i plan on soon

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • no but i am considering one

Votes: 10 10.1%
  • no and have no interest. Onscreen only

Votes: 39 39.4%

• Total voters

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I have an Apple BT keyboard. I use it occasionally when I need to write longer responses or create documents. It works well. Arrow keys work. For a long document I find touch typing easier than looking at the on screen keyboard. I find it much easier to cut and paste with the keyboard. Using the external keyboard opens up all the real estate covered by the onscreen keyboard.

It is nice that if you don't want a BT keyboard you never, ever have to look at one but if you need it it works well with iOS.

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
Does iOS take advantage of keyboard shortcuts? Can I raise and lower the volume, switch apps, and/or pan a scroll view (Safari) without touching the screen? What about third-party apps, can they take advantage of keyboard shortcuts? Or is the only benefit of a physical keyboard the fact that its not a virtual keyboard?

Yes it does. I mentioned that in my post above. Switching apps and pan/scroll I am not sure of.

Last edited:

JoeyCloverfield

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
I know you can access multitasking by pressing home button shortcut on the keyboard but IDK if you can enter the app. Also auto correct is disabled for some reason with all bluetooth keyboards..

That's interesting.

Yes it does. I mentioned that in my post above. Switching apps and pan/scroll I am not sure of.

Ah, yes. Sorry, I seem to have completely skipped the 2nd page. Weird.

Thanks for the info you two. :)

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
Ah, yes. Sorry, I seem to have completely skipped the 2nd page. Weird.

Thanks for the info you two. :)

Glad to hopefully be of help. I just spent some time testing and I can not get Safari pages to scroll with any combination of arrow and modifier keys. In a document though, I can left/right for single letter, option left/right for single word, or command/control left/right for beginning of line end of line. Using shift with the left/right arrows begins a text selection or reduces the selection if you go the other way.

Which to me really nails the point of having a physical keyboard, to edit documents or notes more efficiently. Though I'd like to see Safari be able to scroll up/down with the arrows, it's not that hard to reach up and use your finger to do that.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Glad to hopefully be of help. I just spent some time testing and I can not get Safari pages to scroll with any combination of arrow and modifier keys. In a document though, I can left/right for single letter, option left/right for single word, or command/control left/right for beginning of line end of line. Using shift with the left/right arrows begins a text selection or reduces the selection if you go the other way.

Which to me really nails the point of having a physical keyboard, to edit documents or notes more efficiently. Though I'd like to see Safari be able to scroll up/down with the arrows, it's not that hard to reach up and use your finger to do that.
The arrow keys on the bluetooth keyboard only works for text editing fields and are not possible for scrolling.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have no need for such a product. If I'm going to do any serious typing, I'll use my laptop which is better geared for such tasks.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
The arrow keys on the bluetooth keyboard only works for text editing fields and are not possible for scrolling.
Yes. This is a limitation of iOS and not the BT keyboard makers. Again, iOS was not meant to use any other input mechanism besides a "finger".

That's all I'm saying folks. You want to do some serious mobile typing? Get something designed to use that feature. Like the MS Surface where the OS is designed to handle a trackpad as well to save your arms.

But I give up. Those of you stuck with iPads, I guess you have to try to make that user experience better and look to 3rd parties to do that for you. (That in itself speaks volumes to me). But for those that are looking to buy a new one AND are looking at the high end 128GB version, I still think the MBA11 might be a viable alternative.

I just think some of you are expecting a lot from an OS designed for a Cell Phone. :)

----------

Not without LTE, at least for me.

Fair enough.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Yes. This is a limitation of iOS and not the BT keyboard makers. Again, iOS was not meant to use any other input mechanism besides a "finger".

That's all I'm saying folks. You want to do some serious mobile typing? Get something designed to use that feature. Like the MS Surface where the OS is designed to handle a trackpad as well to save your arms.

But I give up. Those of you stuck with iPads, I guess you have to try to make that user experience better and look to 3rd parties to do that for you. (That in itself speaks volumes to me). But for those that are looking to buy a new one AND are looking at the high end 128GB version, I still think the MBA11 might be a viable alternative.

I just think some of you are expecting a lot from an OS designed for a Cell Phone. :)

----------

Fair enough.

1. Didn't you say that you use a stylus? :)

2. I don't think anyone is "stuck" with an iPad, buying and using one is a choice.

3. Not all keyboards are from a third party. Remember the Apple iPad Keyboard Dock?

Why so much negativity toward a keyboard for the iPad when you have used one yourself?

Last edited:

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA

----------

Fair enough.

What does "stuck" with an iPad mean? Did someone force me to buy one and stick a gun against my head? :confused:

I have a MBP. I'm typing on it right now. I do my work on it and take it with me when I'm on the road. What's the "stuck" part?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
You might want to tell Apple that. You might not know, or have forgotten, that Apple produced a keyboard dock for the iPad (1, 2, & 3). It had key functions specific for the iPad.

With the iPad 4, Apple backed away from hard connections and went to support bluetooth. Bluetooth support for keyboards was put there by Apple.

Did you not know these things or are you simply being argumentative?

Apple has stood firm and has not added support for Bluetooth mice, but that is a trivial change to make WHEN they decide to. (I believe they will)

That's not all you're saying, but that's ok.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008

----------

Fair enough.

Your signature and avatar are very appropriate. You're a troll looking for a fight. Saying "stuck with" on an Apple site to people who 99% have iPads and like them a lot better than your MS Surface.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Seems like "Krazy" Bill and misskitty might be the same person. At the very least they both seem to enjoy stirring up threads with narrow minded responses. :)
Quite possible. But this isn't the first time that I've encountered people who are actively against using a keyboard with the iPad. That group of people take it as a personal affront that someone uses a keyboard with their iPad. It was as if they get charged a fee for every person who uses a keyboard.

Of course there are those who simply understand it is a matter of preference and they prefer not to.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Quite possible. But this isn't the first time that I've encountered people who are actively against using a keyboard with the iPad. That group of people take it as a personal affront that someone uses a keyboard with their iPad. It was as if they get charged a fee for every person who uses a keyboard.

Of course there are those who simply understand it is a matter of preference and they prefer not to.

Yea, not sure why they are so concerned with how others use their devices. What makes it even better is the fact that Krazy Bill has posted before about a BT keyboard that he owned haha. :)

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
What makes it even better is the fact that Krazy Bill has posted before about a BT keyboard that he owned haha. :)

Yeah, someone told him not to do it so instead of thinking for himself and making his own decisions he's decided to become a sheep, I guess.

I should've known to stay out of one of "Misskitty's" threads, too. Nothing good ever comes from them. :)

Ah well, it was good for entertainment!

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
what makes it even better is the fact that Krazy Bill has posted before about a BT keyboard that he owned haha. :)

Yes. For my iPad Air. Is it not better to advise somebody based on their own experience and mistakes?

Some of you fanboys sure get riled up easily when your iToys are insulted.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Yes. For my iPad Air. Is it not better to advise somebody based on their own experience and mistakes?

Some of you fanboys sure get riled up easily when your iToys are insulted.

Some people aren't asking for your unsolicited brow-beating about how they should be using their device. You provided your opinion based on your use and experience, that's great. That's where it should have stopped. It's not your place to tell anyone else how they should be using their device or that by using a keyboard, or any other accessory, that they are using it wrong. :rolleyes:

The people taking issue with your posts aren't fanboys defending their iDevice from insults. The people are taking issue with you questioning and insulting their intelligence and ability to make their own choices based on their wants and needs.

Stop trying to insist that you know better than everyone else. It's a pretty ugly trait.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
The people are taking issue with you questioning and insulting their intelligence and ability to make their own choices based on their wants and needs.
Then they have bigger problems than I do. It's an internet forum for god's sake. I really don't think anyone is losing sleep over little ol' me.

You're done now. Adios. Dismissed.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
Yeah I think we've figured out the ruse here. Was a fun little ******** for a minute but it got boring quick. XD

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Then they have bigger problems than I do. It's an internet forum for god's sake. I really don't think anyone is losing sleep over little ol' me.

At least you can admit that you have problems.

You're done now. Adios. Dismissed.

Thankfully, that's not up to you. Still think it's your place to make decisions for others? That's cute. Must be hard for you to not be in control. :)

Surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet. BTW, I'm typing this on my BT keyboard. OH NOES. I'm going to Hell for sure.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
For me, I have no need for a Bluetooth keyboard, on screen works perfectly fine for 90% of what I need to do with my iPad. However, at times when I have to actually type a long e-mail or letter, I just use a regular plug in keyboard with the camera connector. Works perfectly fine for my needs.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
For me, I have no need for a Bluetooth keyboard, on screen works perfectly fine for 90% of what I need to do with my iPad.
At first, I tried this. Got to a probably a whopping 15 words per minute . :) The nice thing about the on-screen keyboard is the spelling "guesser". It's actually pretty good. I don't know why it gets disabled once a physical keyboard is in use. (I suppose at that point it becomes a nuisance).

However, at times when I have to actually type a long e-mail or letter, I just use a regular plug in keyboard with the camera connector. Works perfectly fine for my needs.
Used to do this but now I handwrite my lengthy text with a stylus using an app called WritePad. Everything is converted to text and with a simple swipe I copy and paste everything to wherever I need. As I mentioned before, It's slower than typing but in my opinion, it's a notch above those note-taking apps that simulate paper.

Yes, I'll get chastised for using such an archaic method of input and suggesting an alternative to a BT keyboard but such is life here in the fanboy zone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.