Do you use a case for your Macbook/MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by funnyimac, Aug 22, 2010.

1. funnyimac macrumors newbie

Hi,

Do you use a case for your Macbook / Macbook Pro?
    Why or why not?

I bought a Speck SeeThru case for my new 15" Macbook Pro, but I don't really like it. I don't know why really. I want protection for my Mac, but I don't like the case. Are there any better cases?
    Also, will it get scratched a lot without a case?

Thanks.

2. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

3. ccashman92 macrumors regular

I would get Wrapsol. It is like the Zagg Invisible Shield. It will prevent scratches on your MBP or Macbook. Then get a sleeve like this. This will prevent damages from drops. Then of course a bag for toting around.

4. ryanide macrumors 6502

Spreck SeeThru Satin Soft-Touch on a Hard Shell Case

I just picked up one of these cases in black and I love it. fits like a glove, just perfect with no clunky clips or anything unnecessary. Just snaps on and adds a nice smooth but grippy feel. It does make it feel a little heavier, but I like that it will keep my mac perfect on the inside. Works with the new MagSafe charger too.

http://www.speckproducts.com/products/seethru-satin/macbook-pro-15-aluminum-black-keys/164

5. circularforward macrumors 6502

I have a bodyguardz full kit, which is similar to the wrapsol but also protects the sides. It's a good way to protect against scratches and minor damage while retaining the sleek look and feel of the mbp.

6. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

7. MaxxTraxx macrumors 6502

I'd never put a case on a laptop, most is a sleeve.

8. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

Same here.

9. crobbins macrumors 6502

Like the above two posters, my MacBook Pro only sees a sleeve. The computer itself is case less.

10. MackPro91 macrumors newbie

I've got the Incase Hardshell on my 15" MBP but I too don't really like it. It's awkward around the ports eg. I can't have it charging whilst things are in the FW ot Ethernet ports. Also I'm not sure if it's just me being anxious but I think it might be a bit heavy on the lid and so putting an unnecessary work load on the hinges..

11. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

I have wrapsol and a moshi palm guard and keyboard skin.

I don't like cases since I think they're too bulky. For going to school though I do have a booq vyper sleeve.

12. David G. macrumors 65816

I used too, but probably haven't had mine in my speck case for about a year.

13. celticpride678

Using the Spec SeeThru Satin for my 13" MacBook. It's saved my Mac from a bunch of dings and scratches.

14. thecarrot macrumors member

I question why anybody would want to put a case on their laptop?!!? I can understand a sleeve but a case makes it look so much worse, adds weight, and in the end won't even protect it THAT well. In my opinion its better to take the risk of having a few small scratches than having a huge pink/black/whatever color case on it which is obviously much more noticeable than a scratch would be

15. ccashman92 macrumors regular

This is why they have Wrapsol, Zagg, etc.

16. thecarrot macrumors member

Ok I can see where those might be more useful but to me it still takes away the feel of the laptop and is not going to protect it from all that much. I could buy a sleeve for less than that which will greatly protect the laptop in many situations.

17. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

black stands out opposed to silver?

18. thecarrot macrumors member

Yes a macbook covered in a case no matter what the color will stand out, and if it doesn't cover the whole thing it will make it look bad, and if it does, it'll add more bulk. A lose lose either way. having said that though I can understand why people may want a clear protector (wrapsol etc) because that protects the look as well as the macbook from minor scratches. Personally I would never use one but I can understand the reasoning behind it

19. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

do you have a case for you car? or shoes? or significant other? no i do not use a case for my compute ri do for my iphone but it tends to jump out of my pocket while i am 6+ feet in the air in a concrete bowl street boarding the computer tends to be more lap friendly or desk loved, =D

20. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

same here. just don't like the way the cases look on the MBP

21. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

some people want scratches on their plastic case instead of the machine itself.

I bet there are some wondering "why anyone would want a laptop made out of aluminum and glass" lol diff strokes diff folks.

22. bt22 macrumors 6502

Tried the Incase Hard Shell case... on my 13" MacBook Pro. Seemed to add a lot of weight to my MBP and the screen would move forward or back with little movement. Took the case back to Best Buy. I liked the way it looked, but didn't like the weight and how it affected the screen when raised.

23. thecarrot macrumors member

That's exactly the same way I look at it. It reminds me exactly of those cars with the "bra" on them, why take away the look/feel of your item because of something that MIGHT happen? Take extra care of your item and there won't be any problems. If there is, then get a case to cover up your mistake.

24. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

I use the booq Yyper M3 sleeve. Protects my MBP in any bag I carry it in or by itself. Pull it out and still have the MBP look when using it.

25. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

haha yeah and those stupid bras trap moisture and rust out the hood like wtf are you thinking, haha although my dads diesel runs a bra your heat in the winter =D haha reminds of a car insurance commercial where the guy wrapped his car in a mattress >_< i have had a macbook for 4 years with the plastic black shell and it looks amazing, theres is so major scratches or anything mostly just greasy finger prints (damn you mcdonalds and your greasy amazingness) i have a $3000 mountain bike with some intense scratches all over haha apparently hitting a tree at 20+ km/h does that? haha was good fun