Do you use a case on your MBP? Should I take off mine?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PowerGamerX, Mar 3, 2010.

1. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

I've been using a Speck transparent hardshell case on my unibody but I'm contemplating removing it. I was able to use a PowerBook G4 12" for 4 years without getting a scratch on it and could probably do it with the MBP too. I'm a little paranoid too though, but it adds on just enough bulk and removes just a little sense of class that I think I may remove it. What are your thoughts?

I never really go anywhere with my MBP except to a friends house occasionally, coffee shops etc are where my iPhone gets used. I also think the anodizing they used on the unibodies is a little better than previous generations because i accidentally knocked it a bit on the door when i first got it and there were no scratches. As I said though, I can get really paranoid, but I went 3 months without scratching this unit and went 4 years without a scratch on a PBG4

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If you are that paranoid... keep it on

While I take care of my MBP and iPhone, I am not concerned with normal wear

3. Espionage32 macrumors regular

I use a black speck case on my macbook pro. For my iphone I use a mophie juicepack.

4. yensteel macrumors regular

I think that installing a protector like the bodyguardz will suit you perfectly. It protects the outside of your MBP from scratches.

It does not protect from falls or dents, but I don't think it's a problem for you.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

take it off.. its a laptop not an iPhone.. :p

The only thing that would possibly scratch is the bottom. Just make sure you don't drag it. I have an apple sac and use that for a cushion when I use it at SBUX.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Well your the only one using it, so if you like it keep it on. Personally I don't like putting cases/skins on my computer, mobile phones, ipods etc... Because my MBP is very light and thin, and I won't damage it:D When I travel with it I use a lappy bag:D

If you really want it to be protected a case would be a good idea though. Good luck!!

7. vant macrumors 65816

I've been caseless and it's been fine. Cases insulate the heat and I'm anal about thermals.

8. PowerGamerX thread starter macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

That's one argument that I wanted to make but the Speck case and MBP are very good as far as thermals, never above 150 fahrenheit and that was after 3 hours of Bioshock :]

I took the case off my iPhone and MBP this morning. They feel so much better without the cases. I put some plexus on the back of the iPhone and it cleaned out a lot of the mini scratches and protects it so I'm happy with that. Haven't dropped an iPhone since they came out.

9. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I hate cases on any Apple product. I think they take away from the sheer beauty of them.

10. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

i'd keep it on.
    it's not like it makes it look bad, it doesn't add much bulk (even the bulk it adds, i like.)
    and it will protect your machine from scratches.

your laptop was expensive, you should have it protected.
    if you take it off you'll most likely scratch it. it's not hard to do.

11. evarian macrumors member

agreed.

12. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

+ 2:D

13. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

+3
    i have an invisible skin on my iPhone, and i plan to leave my MBP bare since i don't wanna add a shine to the matte finish with a skin-type product, and i definitely don't wanna add some gaudy plastic to it.

14. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

I carried my unibody with me everywhere for 1.5 years and it still looks pretty much perfect. That aluminum design does an amazing job of keeping up appearances. It never seems to get dirty either.

15. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

I put a case on mine to protect from the careless fools at school. Ive had lots of complements on my case as well. Not everyone wants the same apple conformist silver like the 30 other people in the class.

16. rumpus macrumors member

Almost agree with people saying putting covers make any Apple product look ugly. Specially on the iPhone, I can hardly stand any cover. I just put a BodyGuardz transparent film on the back and left the front open and it works out fine.

Right now I don't have a case on my MBP but I'd actually love to have a lime-green Speck SeeThru. I had a blue one before and while using it I didn't ever notice a big difference in temperature / performance. My MBP is still pristine now, this helps you a lot at the end to get a good price when you're looking to sell your computer on eBay or such after a couple of years.

17. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

What happened to the woof woof? :p

I don't like using cases on anything especially a laptop. As long as you don't put your laptop on the table and push it across the surface (like many PC users do :mad:) it should be fine.

18. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I have mine in a case because I actually use mine and, if I need to resell it, I don't have to explain why there are dents in the corner (yes, it's saved it from one or two dents). Not saying everyone doesn't take care of their stuff, but most of the people I've seen with the first gen MBP has a nice dent in the corner and a heap load of scratches and scuffs, because it's honestly pretty easy to do, especially in a backpack. My most recent genius bar work authorization describes the cosmetic condition as "no scratches, no blemishes, perfect condition" lol.

19. Malithion macrumors member

Malithion

I'm super paranoid I use a Bodyguardz and a Speck case. :)

20. puma1552 macrumors 601

It's funny a couple of you guys mentioned not sliding the laptop across a surface...until now I thought I was the only one who refused to do that, always making sure to lift the machine, even if I'm just turning it 20 degrees so someone next to me can see something. Good to know I'm not alone.

Also I don't use cases, a computer isn't something to be tossed around a bit like an iPod nano, so there should be no need for a case.