Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mike8717189

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Canada/USA
Just ordered my new 13" MacBook Pro and wondering if I need a case and what do you guys use? Just not sure how durable or scratch proof aluminum is!
Thanks...

choco

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
definitely get a case. my friend doesn't have a case for the 15" she bought last year and it has marks from scratching against the zippers in her bags and a few dents on the corners. she is very rough with it though.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I have a case for when I'm on the move but my MBPs themselves are naked as the day they were born. Honestly, I've owned many MBPs and unless you are going to use it on sandpaper or concrete there isn't much reason to worry about scratches. When you are on the move just make sure its in a bag of its own or its in a bag with a dedicated pouch. Don't just drop it in your briefcase/backpack with everything else it in.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Just skin it if your worried about scratches. Cases take away the from beauty of the device.
+1

You might get some scratches on the bottom over time, but who cares. As long as you don't throw it around and use a sleeve when it's in your bag, nothing's going to happen with it, and it looks a lot better as is.

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
UK
+1

You might get some scratches on the bottom over time, but who cares. As long as you don't throw it around and use a sleeve when it's in your bag, nothing's going to happen with it, and it looks a lot better as is.

+1

I used my 2006 MacBook Pro for 4 years with just a neoprene sleeve and I never got a scratch on it.

JohnBoi

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Just ordered my new 13" MacBook Pro and wondering if I need a case and what do you guys use? Just not sure how durable or scratch proof aluminum is!
Thanks...

I hear the new "InCase Neoprene Sleeve Plus" here is an improvement over the "InCase Neoprene Sleeve". It has more protection from the case's zipper.

Also, for a more robust protection solution, consider the "Speck SeeThru Satin" hard shell case here which has been getting high ratings.

chopper dave

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
The aluminum is anodized, which means that the only thing that will scratch it is glass, metal, and ceramics. Mine has been naked for 4 years and just has scratches on the corners and a couple on the bottom.

paintballswimgu

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
i used a spec see through case for about 6 months, but i felt it added to much to the thickness. (i know its only like .5 cm, but i didn't like it), once i got rid of the case, i never really got any scratches or anything.

I have a brenthaven backpack, its amazing and very very protective.

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
i used a spec see through case for about 6 months, but i felt it added to much to the thickness. (i know its only like .5 cm, but i didn't like it), once i got rid of the case, i never really got any scratches or anything.

I have a brenthaven backpack, its amazing and very very protective.

:eek::eek: .5 cm is a hell of a thick case!! so your laptop was a full CENTIMETER thicker with it on?!? thats seriously ridiculous.

and if this post sounds sarcastic, it isn't

markp9114

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2009
IL
:eek::eek: .5 cm is a hell of a thick case!! so your laptop was a full CENTIMETER thicker with it on?!? thats seriously ridiculous.

and if this post sounds sarcastic, it isn't

haha i thought you were being sarcastic. until you said you weren't being sarcastic:p anywho, I just bought an invisibleshield. I've heard mixed reviews so i'll decide if I like it or not

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
I am considering a simple $20 sleeve for use when placing in my backpack's laptop compartment. I think this will suffice, as I am gentle with laptops when they are out, but I am not as gentle with my backpack. The backpack is lacking padding on the bottom.

Is there and advantage of buying an InCase laptop sleeve over a Case Logic (cheap) sleeve?

mike8717189

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Canada/USA
Looks like I'll be going naked most times, but would like to semi hard or hard case sleeve or case when taking it somewhere.

eliminator

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2006
I am considering a simple $20 sleeve for use when placing in my backpack's laptop compartment. I think this will suffice, as I am gentle with laptops when they are out, but I am not as gentle with my backpack. The backpack is lacking padding on the bottom.

Is there and advantage of buying an InCase laptop sleeve over a Case Logic (cheap) sleeve?

incase has a liner (faux fur) versus just the neoprene material. Also, the more expensive sleeves like incase have a lip that runs under the zipper so it doesnt scratch your computer.

mike8717189

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Canada/USA
anyone using AXIO hard shell, little pricy, but it offers good protection. I'm not in school or anything, case is for taking it out to someones house, vacation, my in laws across the boarder etc., I just want to take the laptop and not the whole back pack. Looks like hard shell might be the best way.
Anything similar AXIO

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2009
I don't own a sleeve, just a laptop rucksack style bag made by the swiss army knife people, but before I put it in the bag i enshroud my beloved in a thick plastic bag.

I would hate to get one of those clip on cases as it would stop me fondling the ally when I hold my MBP!

BUt I treat my new MBP with the reverence normally accorded to a religious artefact. I have 2 coffee tables in my drawing room, one for my drinks and ashtray and one for my MBP!

I even close the lid before I cough or sneeze.

mmmmmm aluminium.

doris

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
Never gotten a "case" for a laptop. I have a laptop bag with a special sleeve for carrying, and I have pads on the front (wrist pads, basically) from ... marware, I think. But mostly, no, because the machine is designed to stay cool by being in contact with room-temperature air, and the case looks too much like insulating a heat sink to me.

chkenwing

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2010
I managed to get the speck case for £28! Whilst every other shop are selling them for £40. Then I just bought a sleeve case for like £1 from the pound shop to slip it in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.