Do you use a printer?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Freis968, Apr 15, 2011.

?

Do you still use a printer?

Poll closed Jul 24, 2011.
  1. Yes, I still use a printer!

29 vote(s)
    74.4%
  2. No, I do not use a printer anymore!

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. I use the printer at work for all my work and ahem home printing needs.

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Printer, what is that?

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. Freis968, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015

Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

I was curious to see how many of you out there still use a printer. I quit printing pictures approx. 5yrs ago. I just got sick and tired of wasting money on ink and really never bothered with any photo service.

In regard to printing documents I find myself only lately having used my printer to print out the weekly 33-40% off Border's coupons and the odd ticket confirmation page such as the one I printed out this past week to visit the new Salvador Dali Museum in St. Petersberg, FL but other than that I really don't see the need nowadays for a printer. In fact, the Border's coupon says that I could just show the coupon to the cashier on my iPhone! I could just do that.

So, I have told my story and would be interested in reading yours.

Do you still use a printer? If you do, is it an all in one, is it laser, ink jet, etc? When did you stop using a printer if you actually stopped using a printer.

PS I wanted to get rid of my Kodak ESP 7250 AIO printer and go back to the Brother Laser Printer, Monochrome, Wireless printer so I put the Kodak one up for sale and a friend is planning on buying it next week. I just started thinking about if I needed to actually buy a printer or not again and thought I would pose the above question just out of curiosity.

2. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I still have a wireless monochrome laser printer for 99% of any text documents I print out (which, admittedly, are far fewer than they used to be...still good for taxes, resumes, coupons, etc.)

I do still have my Epson R1800 color inkjet, which is almost strictly for photo printing. I use Photoshop a lot in my free time, and enjoy editing and printing photos. I don't really use print services, as I like to have full control of the whole process - I calibrate my monitor, use color profiles, color-managed workflow, etc.

Sure it may cost more, but there's something to be said for doing it yourself :)

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I've got a wonderful HP Color LaserJet 2605dn, my workhorse for years. I print flyers for fundraisers and documentation for teachers, but never photos. I don't have any use for printed photos anymore!

4. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

After I graduated from school, I never needed it my parents bought it and long gone.

The only reason why I even have a printer today was because it was free when I bought my 24" iMac a few years ago.

After printing BS things like coupons (LOL) and ran out of ink, it's just collecting dust underneath my desk.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

We have an HP inkjet and a b/w laser printer (both are connected to every computer in the house) so we all print accordingly. We also have a 968w by Dell which is an AIO, but we haven't bought ink for it in a while ... now its mainly use for scanning.

6. Kyffin macrumors 6502

Yeah, both a printer and typewriter (which I use for letters, CV's, and first and final(ish) drafts of stories). While I find a computer very useful for storing and processing information, the end still has to be something tangible!

7. W1MRK macrumors 6502

8. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

Just got a new one. Wife wanted it to print papers for her graduate classes. She also does a bit of scrapbooking so it's nice to be able to print pics on demand.

Me? I probably never would have bought another one.

9. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Yes, unfortunately. The world as a whole has not become paperless yet.

10. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I have a HP all-in-one ink jet printer. I use it mainly to have hard copies of important documents, order confirmations, Best Buy Reward Zone certificates. Rarely used for photos.

11. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

I have not had cause to print anything for personal use since getting my iPad last year. If I have to take a document with me I can just make a PDF of it & upload it to Dropbox.
    I still use a printer for work (Xerox Phaser 8650DN) but noticeably less. All my quotes/delivery notes/invoices are electronic now.

12. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I think we still have a long way to go before printers disappear. I think many people have been calling for the death of the fax machine the same way, but it's still around, even with the amount of scanners and copiers and smartphones out there.

13. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Yes I use a printer everyday ... however I have never printed photos only

14. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

My printer gets a lot less use now that my Girlfriend and I are both out of College. I can pretty much print anything I need at work, but it is still nice having a printer at home. It's one of those things that you take for granted and if I didn't have one I'd want to print stuff all the time.

I have an HP PSC 1610 all-in-one that I got before I started College 7 years ago. I highly doubt I will buy a new printer until this thing dies though.

15. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

16. CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

I have a printer but replied 'Printer, what is a printer' ;)

I print 2-3 times a year, when I need labels for UPS shipments.

Other than that, I never use my printer anymore.

17. blueboron macrumors newbie

I would still use a printer if I could get it to run on a Mac

18. Dharma Logos macrumors newbie

I'll buy a printer when I can afford one, but I don't really need it. When I need to print something I do it at the library.

19. iLucas macrumors 6502

I rarely use a printer, but when I do, I use the Canon color printer that is connected to my windows computer.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I bought an all-in-one in December and still haven't opened the box although I did buy it do primarily scan things. I also have a laser printer that kicks out maybe 20 pages a month.