Do you use a stylus?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jackc, Mar 14, 2012.

1. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

2. DS3 macrumors 6502a

Yes.

Depends on what apps you use. Its necessary if you want to hand write any notes or use any art apps seriously you need one. The one I have is very responsive, though hard to be precise with since its got such a large tip (has to be large).

Its also nice to use when you've got your screen extremely clean and don't want to get fingerprints on it for a bit, and of course it lets you use it with gloves on if you ever have the occasion.

I'm considering buying the jot pro and trying that, it has a clear disc as the tip so you can be more precise. $30 though so Ive held off so far.

If you are just kind of interested I wouldn't buy one overpriced in store for $15 or $20, but you can get the same thing on Amazon for $5 or so and its nice to have around even if you dont use it that much. Don't buy the .50 cent ones that often arn't responsive.

as for Apps.... Ive used it in note taking apps, mainly to do little sketches combined with text (my handwriting sucks I stick to type) and such for more fleshed out idea notes. And full fledged art apps like art rage, sketchbook pro, etc. There are a few slow paced games Ive used it for but thats never really needed.

3. Godzilla71 macrumors 6502

Godzilla71

I purchased an iFaraday to use for some art apps that I want to try out.

4. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Adonit Jot Pro LOVE IT!

ProCreate, and Sketchbook Pro.

Interested in trying it with Goodreader or other PDF note apps.

Also have a Boxwave style stylus. It works great for pencil like sketching.

5. hchavarria macrumors 6502

I use a Bamboo Stylus with Ghostwriter Notes for all my note taking needs which include school and work related.

6. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

i only ever bought some cheap stylus, and i hated it, it had a rubber tip which meant you couldn't move it about on the screen you could only tap, as the rubber tip was too grippy, i would like to try a more expensive one, but i don't want to spend the money in case i hate it too.

7. MS2083 macrumors regular

8. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Only use it when I'm sketching. I use a Boxwave Stylus, I prefer it to the Pogo crap-foam-tip stylus.

Pretty interested in the iFaraday stylus and the new Bluetooth one that's supposedly pressure sensitive (but not released yet).

9. ihatephish macrumors regular

Was curious as to if it made taking notes in a business meeting easier than typing on the notepad...

10. glen e macrumors 68030

I won't use an ipad without one - screen stays clean and more accurate for selecting stuff...best stylus I have is a faraday artist - and I have maybe 10 of all kinds...

11. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

That one is the best. I got the Rx II.

12. Godzilla71 macrumors 6502

Godzilla71

Cool to know. That is the one I ordered. (w/ firm tip option) Looking forward to trying it out along with Sketchbook pro. :)

sweet! thanks for the input as well. :)

13. DS3 macrumors 6502a

Id love to know the thinking that goes into this kind of post. "YUCK!!!"? What?

14. kujen, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

kujen macrumors newbie

I made my own, following this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHhB2BF5yQM

I didn't do a very good job - my center point was off, but the one in the video looks just as accurate as the expensive ones.

I ended up ordering one off eBay that looks identical to the Targus/Boxwave/Griffin...for 99 cents. I'll see how it goes when I receive it.

For apps, I intend to use it for drawing (dear stylus haters: try to convince artists that fingers are better for drawing and painting. Good luck!)

15. wbeem macrumors member

I use a Bamboo stylus, usually when I'm out at a restaurant and just reading a book. Don't want to get BBQ sauce on the screen.

16. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Why are you eating it? :confused:

17. urkel macrumors 68030

Why "yuck"? Because Jobs said so two years ago and unfortunately passed before he could elaborate on his position?

What separates human beings from animals is our ability to utilize tools in order to advance ourselves. Cavemen figured it out and the "fad" of instrument based writing has continued up until only 2010? I just dont get why we are now supposed to pretend that "fingers" are suddenly the best and only means of interacting with tablets in the "post-pc" era.

Btw. I use the best tools for the job and sometimes that does benefit from a stylus.

18. DS3 macrumors 6502a

19. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

20. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

As a working tool? No. For drawing and fun yes...A couple of the high end drawing apps will be additions to my new iPad on Friday. I was using Sketch on my ipad2, but it's a bit limiting...The top end apps are not cheap, but with the higher res. screen I'm going to see if I can take my drawing hobby to another level...Just add err...talent..which I don't really have..:)

21. jackc thread starter macrumors 65816

jackc

The tip looks pretty big on those, is it any good for writing/drawing as well as tapping and selecting?

22. sartios macrumors member

The only stylus I use is the one on my Wacom Cintiq 21UX.

I might give it a go on the Photoshop Touch app though on the new iPad.

23. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Well your lucky as most do not have a $2000 tablet built for stylus input. I would love to use one but I would not use it that much. I think you would be very disappointed with the iPads stylus abilities coming from the Cintiq.

24. Fernandez21 macrumors 68040

Fernandez21

i use a box wave for signatures in pdf expert.

25. sartios macrumors member

I got it for £450 in the UK bargain really, so yeah I am lucky.. I love it, really helps when it comes to Photoshop drawing etc, but yeah I wasn't expecting much using one on the iPad but still might be good for quick editing etc..