• Track pad and magic mouse

Votes: 33 19.3%

• Total voters

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Don't have a mac really want one i would get a magic mouse. What are you using track pad or magic mouse or both?

IA64

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2013
I could never get used to the magic mouse. Maybe that's what's magic about it...

Gunlance

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2012
I use both a normal mouse (got sick of the battery changes in the magic mouse) and a track pad. Track pad is on the left of the keyboard and mouse on the right. The track pad is used for launch pad and switching between desktops(i use dual 27 inch monitors with lots of full screen apps).

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
I have a wired Apple (Mighty) Mouse that I've had for years even though my iMac shipped with a Magic Mouse. I also use a Magic Trackpad in addition to the mouse, mostly for scrolling and swiping between spaces/desktops.

Corrode

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Bought my first iMac last week and went with the trackpad after using a MacBook for the last 4 years. I don't think I could give up all those wonderful gestures and the Magic Mouse is a bit small for my hands. Figured I can buy a $10 mouse if I really need one in the future. I definitely wouldn't be able to find a $10 trackpad.

kathyricks

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
Clicking a trackpad takes a lot more muscle effort than clicking a mouse. That's why I don't like any trackpads...they slow my work down.

tgrays

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2013
I've been using the Magic Mouse on and off for the past couple years. I chose the trackpad with my recent iMac purchase though, because I already have the mouse but mainly because I'm really curious about what the big deal is regarding the trackpad. I've heard it hailed as the best thing ever by so many people, and I keep wondering if I'm missing something.

I always thought it was just a... you know, typical track pad in the laptops of old days... the ones people generally dislike but use because they have to. Everyone was plugging a mouse whenever they could, but all of a sudden, people wanted to use a trackpad for a desktop. I gathered trackpads have probably come a long way, so I guess I'll find out when my unit arrives.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
I use both. Mainly my Magic Trackpad, but when it dies, I use my Magic Mouse :)

----------

You don't need to click the track pad, just set it to click with double taps. My wife used to click it until she realized there was an easier option.

I can't imagine going back to a mouse. Using a trackpad is so much easier and for precision work, using a stylus.
I have it set up so it will respond as a click just with me tapping on it once (not pushing it down).

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I have two MM's....and have just got so used to gestures that although I've tried other mice, I just keep going back to the Apple offering....they are not the best for gaming though, but the trackpad is a really nice addition to any system...planning on adding one to my iMac shortly.

ohbrilliance

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I found a separate trackpad uncomfortable to use. Unlike a laptop, there's nothing to rest your fingers or palms on, so to frequently use the magic trackpad you need to hover your fingers above it. That gets tiring very quickly.

BESLC

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
I use the track pad. I have had iMac's since 2007, at first using the wireless magic mouse. The problem I have encountered with the magic mouse is the scroll wheel. The scroll wheel requires frequent cleaning or it will not function properly. It's not a big deal to clean, but is a factor in proper operation.

I purchased the track pad when they were first released, and have been happy with the switch from the mouse. I have on occasion used my mouse, however in my case I have not found any operations the track pad can't handle. I am not a gamer, which would require the mouse functions. The track pad is more comfortable for me.

If you are a mouse user, in my opinion there are much better mouses available than the magic mouse. On your order you can purchase both and decide for yourself.

sidabet

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2012
UK
Got fed up of the jerky magic mouse, eating batteries every 3 weeks and dropping Bluetooth once a week. I use a 7 button wired mouse and Bettertouchtool.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I use the track pad. I have had iMac's since 2007, at first using the wireless magic mouse. The problem I have encountered with the magic mouse is the scroll wheel. The scroll wheel requires frequent cleaning or it will not function properly. It's not a big deal to clean, but is a factor in proper operation.
The magic mouse doesn't have a scroll wheel.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
This poll (like most) didn't cover all the options. Although in this case, the only one I can think of that's really missing is "Track pad and Wired Mouse".

I use a wired mouse for a variety of reasons. Occasionally I'll grab the Magic Mouse for a couple of things, but not really that often. I could see adding a trackpad to my set up.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Maybe you mean a Mighty Mouse?

Attachments