Do you use an app to prevent you from texting while driving?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMas70, Nov 7, 2013.

1. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

I'm watching a local news story about the dangers of texting while driving. Really makes me think. I'm considering downloading an app to prevent me from doing that (yes, I lack willpower). Anyone use one?

2. McGiord, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2013

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

After getting a ticket there is no need for an App…if you can't control yourself without the App, how can the App force you to avoid the distraction?

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Get a bluetooth speakerphone and put your phone in the trunk.

4. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I watch shows like this and think "damn, I'm not doing that again". That will go on for a little while then I'll start looking at it again. Texting, reading Facebook, news sites, checking the weather ect... I know that it's wrong but I feel that I'm fine. Watching the show and the people they are interviewing I'm now thinking "Hey, that's me! That's what I think! It will never happen to me".

5. wxman2003, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2013

wxman2003 Suspended

This guy was looking at facebook on his smart phone. Killed a cop.

6. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Use Bluetooth for the phone and keep it in your pocket. Where is the problem? Turn up the music. You are so bored while driving that you have to pull out your phone and start sending messages??? :confused:

8. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No excuse but I'm busy enough that I have the time to do that stuff while driving and it's become a habit. I can talk and drive while using the phone. That isn't a problem. It's sitting there reading stuff or typing to people.

9. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

The app I use is common sense. It comes stock but some people can't find it.

10. SlasherDuff macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

Or turning off your phone once you get behind the wheel

There is no excuse for putting others in danger on the road for a stupid habit like texting/reading news/weather while driving

11. bkribbs macrumors 65816

Seriously just say, I will not touch my phone. And then, don't touch your phone.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't text and drive. When I get a text, I glance only to see if it's from someone important. If it is, I call back. If they can't, obviously the message isn't important enough.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    I don't use an app, I use my brain.

14. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Once I almost ran into some kid while fumbling with the stupid radio. THAT DID IT... FOR LIFE.

15. Samanosuke macrumors 6502

16. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

My car notifies me of incoming Facebook posts, texts messages and displays and narrates messages back to me. I an still not comfortable with that though so i tend to pull over to listen to them

17. Ktdhc macrumors member

Being in the middle of the road, emergency or not, is kinda asking for that to happen.

But yeah, nothing stupider than being distracted on other things while you're driving a big piece of metal at 100 km/h.

18. cynics macrumors G3

When I'm in my company vehicle I force myself to use Siri + Bluetooth. It works ok but there are times I look at the phone.

When I'm in my personal vehicle I never touch my phone because it has a manual transmission and it's just way too obnoxious for me to mess with the phone and shift.

Moral of the story, get a vehicle with a manual transmission. Lol

19. hackjo macrumors member

This thread terrifies me.

You should not be doing anything else behind the wheel but operating the vehicle and paying attention to the road.

You will kill or seriously injure someone if you try to use your phone while driving.

Please , please, stop.

20. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

If you wear 1 headphone in one ear, then I would say texting via siri is acceptable, as apple showed in their initial siri video a few years ago. But, other than that, no. I used to do it all the time and I am not proud of that. There were times that I didn't remember the drive home.

21. DanTSX macrumors regular

No. I am an adult and do not have to rely on some "app" to keep me from acting irresponsible and dangerously.

22. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you lack that much willpower turn off your phone while driving and put it in the back of the car so you can't turn it back on. From the sound of it you probably could use a break from it anyway.

23. Xerotech macrumors 6502

Why would you need an app? What stops you from disabling the app? It's about self control.

I never text while driving, if it's important they can call through my car's bluetooth. Even siri isn't reliable enough, people would check to see if siri typed it up right. That single second of not paying attention = accident.

24. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

25. cynics macrumors G3

How do you feel about someone using Bluetooth/headphones with Siri to text? Just curious.