Do you use antivirus software?

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by donawalt, Nov 29, 2018.

?

Do you use anti-virus software on your Mac desktop/laptop?

1. Yes

24.0%
  2. No

76.0%
  1. Panthera Tigris Altaica macrumors member

Panthera Tigris Altaica

Unfortunately Sophos does slow down the system. I've tested it.

And the marketshare theory, that there will be more Mac malware because there are more Macs, is nonsense. There was more malware for Macs in the 1990s when Mac marketshare was under 3% than there is now.

And Sophos today can do nothing to defend against any new malware which might turn up. It just can't, the devs at Sophos don't have crystal balls and can't tell the future.

If it makes you feel better, by all means keep using it. Just know that you're not doing much real good. Do carry on, now.

2. InquiringMac macrumors member

3. Panthera Tigris Altaica macrumors member

Panthera Tigris Altaica

If you must use antimalware, MalwareBytes or Sophos would probably be best. They have free versions. Don't pay for Mac antimalware. It doesn't do anything useful other than kill Windows malware because there's so little Mac malware. Especially stay away from Norton/Symantec, McAfee, and Intego. But YMMV. It's up to you.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

The others, yes there are some, the last one, no, not one.
    Look at post #110.
    Are you up to the challenge?
    (I already know the answer.)

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No one in this thread and no informed Mac user has ever claimed that there is no Mac malware. We have accurately and factually stated that there are no macOS viruses, which is a particular type of malware. To be clear, there is malware that can affect macOS, but it is relatively rare and all of it can easily be avoided by practicing safe computing, without the need for any antivirus software.
    There is malware affecting Macs; just no viruses. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS_malware
    I don't recommend Sophos because it runs with elevated privileges, which can be used as an attack vector. It is not necessary to have any antivirus app running constantly, since Mac malware is so rare, unless you're intentionally doing risky things, like installing pirated software.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I don't recommend any antivirus app. There are no macOS viruses and what little malware that exists is easily avoided by practicing safe computing. If you want to run a quick scan, MalwareBytes is a good free choice.

6. OLDGUYWITHAHIFI Suspended

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Malware can be easily removed, and viruses on the Mac are very rare. I really don't see why people run anti-virus software on their Apple computers. I guess you could say you do it just in case, but to me that would be like getting a vaccine for small pox when it's pretty much non existent in most of the world.

7. Panthera Tigris Altaica macrumors member

Panthera Tigris Altaica

Smallpox is extinct, except for small amounts locked in highly secure freezers at CDC in Atlanta and the Russian equivalent of CDC in Moscow. As bad reactions to the smallpox vaccine can be severe, it is NOT A GOOD IDEA to use it, except where there is an actual risk of being infected. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallpox Why, just as with installing antimalware on Macs, being inoculated for smallpox currently causes more problems than its worth. Those who work in labs where they might be exposed should be inoculated against smallpox; those who work with Mac malware should install antimalware. The vast majority of the world's population is at limited risk of being infected by smallpox and should not be vaccinated against it as there are likely severe complications. It used to be that smallpox vaccinations were necessary; virgin field fatalities for major smallpox epidemics were often over 70%, and in at least one case exceeded 90%. Smallpox was very dangerous indeed, but now it's dead. The vast majority of Mac users should not install antimalware as there are likely severe complications. It used to be that there was a significant malware threat to Macs; the Autostart Worm went around the world in under two weeks from go. The threat level is much lower now. (Please note: while it is true that not getting smallpox vaccine is probably a good thing, not getting measles, mumps, influenza, or other major vaccines is a very bad thing. Smallpox is extinct. Measles etc are NOT. Measles, mumps, and smallpox conquered the western hemisphere for the white man. See further Jared Diamond's excellent book, _Guns, Germs, and Steel_, that would be were I got the numbers quoted above. Measles in particular is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS and those who don't vaccinate against it are asking for trouble. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measles For those who don't take the flu seriously, it should be noted that the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic killed more people than the First World War. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu Note that the flu is LESS DANGEROUS than measles; for one thing, it has a lower body count.)

If you feel that you must use Mac antimalware, go ahead. Just know that you're wasting your time, money, and resources unless you're one of those at risk for infection. Windows users should use antimalware, major infections abound there. Most infections, great and small, have been rendered extinct on Macs. Don't take my word for it, look up the CVEs posted for all platforms. Virtually all CVEs for Macs are trojans; if users merely don't click on them, trojans cannot affect anything. Almost all the others are adware, which gets blocked if users use an adblocker.

8. OLDGUYWITHAHIFI Suspended

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

You pretty much covered it... :)

9. BionicMan Suspended

It is unbelievable after reading this thread how many people have no clue and how many ignore the facts and think they know it all but they also never proved it themselves. Sad sad.

10. Panthera Tigris Altaica macrumors member

Panthera Tigris Altaica

I find it quite interesting that there are those who insist that there is a serious malware epidemic among Macs cannot provide even one example of that malware. nouveau_redneck seems to have vanished. If he's still reading this thread, I again ask him for his top ten CVE-listed Mac malware threats, and why they require that anyone use antimalware to deal with them. There are trojans... but not many, and those exhibiting common sense merely don't click on them. There is adware... but it can't get past adblockers. There are no, none, zero, viruses. There are worms, but even fewer than the trojans and even easier to stop.

Perhaps I'm just missing the threat. Come on, guys, name the top ten threats. If the malware environment is as bad as you say, it should be easy. The CVE guys should have spotted them, and they should be listed for all to see on their site, https://cve.mitre.org and everyone should be able to come up with a nice list very easily. What's stopping you guys?

Or are you saying that you're smarter than the guys who hunt malware for a living and know something they don't? If so, why don't you tell _them_? Why don't you tell _us_? Come on, provide the names, show us what the malware does, how it gets onto a system. If this malware exists you should be able to point it out. Please do.

I, for one, will not be holding my breath waiting.

11. revmacian macrumors 6502

revmacian

The ones who cannot provide proof to support their claims are probably the same people who simply regurgitate what they read or hear from people who never had the facts presented to them.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Correction: macOS malware is very rare and can easily be removed. macOS viruses are not very rare, because macOS viruses do not exist at all.

13. OLDGUYWITHAHIFI, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI Suspended

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Over the years I have had things happen to my Apple computers that I could not figure out (Software related) so in my moments of naivety, as a last resort I would download one of the many free malware, virus, adware programs and give it a quick run through. Never in all the years I did this did any of the software find anything related to my Mac. It found attachments in emails designed to affect Windows computers but never in the last 10 plus years has any of these malware, virus, adware programs programs ever found anything that could affect my Mac. I stopped using these sorts of programs years ago after educating myself. Waste of time.

I think the best protection you could provide for your Mac is to stay off questionable or shady websites.

I am more concerned about the constant phishing hits and attacks my router has to deflect each day. Hoping none of them ever make it through.

14. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

Sigh. The exact number of (known) macOS viruses that are out there to steal your data is zero. Not "so few". Not "very rare". There's no denial.
    ZERO
    ZE-****ing-RO!

15. OLDGUYWITHAHIFI Suspended

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Well that settles it then. Virus software not needed.

16. donawalt thread starter macrumors regular

donawalt

Hi, OP here...thanks for all the posts and rebuttals. While *most* of it was civil lol I learned a lot. I just wanted to add, as a test I decided last night to download Malwarebytes and let it scan my system. I have been a Mac user for about 6 years, never run any malware/AV software ever. Guess what? Malwarebytes found absolutely nothing! So as someone else said, I uninstalled it, and I may run it again in another 6 years if the climate on MacOS stays the same! YMMV of course...

17. Steven Brown macrumors newbie

Same as I buddy. I also didn't use any antivirus software on my Mac and buddy I don't think so Mac will need any antivirus software.

18. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

So the only people paying for Malwarebytes Premium are those who are uninformed? That is how Malwarebytes makes their money?

19. StellarVixen, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019

StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

I use common sense.

Does that count as malware?

Companies which make anti malware products are preying on users' ignorance, and their favorite tactic is scare mongering. What they won't tell you is that they cannot protect you against anything that is not months old already, and by that time, the malware is already well known, and is not a threat to any informed and wary user anymore.

For reference, see "Flashback malware". It went undetected for many many months, and all of the anti malware companies were clueless about its existence.

20. donawalt thread starter macrumors regular

donawalt

I guess it depends on what street corners you hang out on!