Do you use Apple Pay, and where do you use it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hieveryone, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Apple Pay has been out for a long time, and I really love the concept, but do you actually get to use it often?

I can't use it at Walmart, gas stations, restaurants, Starbucks, night clubs, bars, and most of the grocery stores except Whole Foods.

1. Do you use it often?

2. And where?

2. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I use Apple Pay/Android Pay wherever I can. I use it when I get gas, when I shop at grocery stores with NFC, and Best Buy. I really like contactless payments, and I really hope more retailers start offering NFC readers.

3. I7guy macrumors G5

I keep forgetting to use it. It's so ingrained to take out the credit card, that's what I do automatically. If I bang or drop the credit card I don't have to worry about it. I did force myself to use it once in whole foods, and it worked.

4. BentTable123 macrumors member

I only used a couple times when discover was giving a discount last year. I've used it once since then when I forgot my wallet at work. Otherwise I dont use it because it's took geeky and taking a credit card out of a wallet is a lot more intuitive then apple pay.

5. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

I just want to know WHERE people are using it? Apple has a list, but the retailers are like L.L. Bean...o_O

6. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

I don't use Apple Pay. When I can I avoid using credit cards. Try to use cash whenever possible and electronic banking via bank app on iPhone. Between electronic transfer and cash, so far have seen little use for Apple Pay.

7. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Yep... absolutely nothing intuitive about this screen o_O

IMG_5991.jpg
    --- Post Merged, Jan 31, 2016 ---
    Groceries at Sprouts.
    Prescriptions and health care needs at Walgreens.
    Burgers at Fuddruckers.
    Tech at Best Buy.
    Office supplies at Staples and OfficeMax.

There are plenty of places... just use my CU debit card or my AmEx credit card. I manage my spending - haven't carried a CC balance in over 15 years.

8. BentTable123 macrumors member

It's not the screen, it's getting to that screen. Double pressing the home button often unlocks the phone because touch id is so fast. Then once you're in the phone, you try to goto wallet, but yup, you can't pay using wallet. So then you have to lock the screen again, then try double clicking, and you go through this endless cycle.

9. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

Of course you can pay using wallet, hold your finger on the home button and done.
    People who don't use the stuff should really refrain from commenting.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

You can surely pay using Wallet. Often just bringing the device close to an NFC credit card reader will bring up a way to pay.

11. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Really? The OP asked if people are using it. It would seem the OP is interested. Who are you to say anyone should refrain from commenting. Perhaps you should refrain from commenting

12. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

Wow, did you bother to read the quoted post or just come in on your high horse. Again I say people who don't know what they are talking about should refrain from commenting.

13. Hype-149 macrumors member

14. JeffyTheQuik, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016

JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

I use it with my :apple: watch. I always try it first, and then, if I have to, pull out the debit card. It saved my and Mrs. thequik's vacation last year that started in Vancouver, BC (120 miles from home) because I tried to use my card "out of area" (yet it works with no flaws in Portland, OR, 180 miles from home or in Skagway, AK... Yeah, I know, it's a border crossing thing).

Using it first puts the store clerks on the defensive. When I ask if I can use it, as I used to, it puts me as if I'm begging them, but invariably, when it doesn't work on kiosks that work at other stores, where they have it turned on, the employees apologize because "they haven't turned it on yet".

I just smile, and let them know that it's the "cool way to pay". For those with the phones, it's just another thing to pull out, but since the Watch is on my wrist, it's just "pull up my sleeve, double click, and hold my arm over the reader" type action. I think I've sold at least 3 Apple Watches to people behind me in line in the last year.

So far, I've used it at:
    Best Buy (Do they let you put gift cards in there? - That would be nice!)
    Chevron
    Albertsons
    Walgreens
    London Drug (in BC)
    7-11 (in BC, not in the US)
    Staples
    Pandora Jewelry (The stores at the Alderwood Mall in Lynnwood, WA seems to have all the same terminals, only some have it turned on, and others don't)
    Apple Store
    McDonalds (don't go there anymore)
    Vending machines at work. (odd thing... The CU that my debit card has the name of my employer in it, but the vending machines won't take the card, but will take it with Apple Pay.)

15. Netranger macrumors newbie

Netranger

It doesn't work in Australia Grrrr.

16. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Love it on my Apple watch. And you dont have to "activate it" as suggested by someone else. Hold phone near the terminal and the card automatically pops up.
    McD's
    Wegmans
    Amazon, Jet and other apps
    Starbucks (supposedly coming soon)

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

18. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I too love using it on the Watch. It's so cool to just pay from your wrist. I miss that right now though since I'm using a Pebble Time haha

19. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I use it a few times a week at either Trader Joes or Whole Foods but I have never seen anyone else use it. I still feel like it's a novelty.

20. JohnApples macrumors 65816

So far I've used it at:

Meijer
    Best Buy
    Tim Hortons
    Petco
    Office Depot
    McDonalds
    Walgreens
    Campus vending machine

I'm a frequent shopped at both Meijer and Best Buy, and I've used Apple Pay enough there so that now when I'm checking out, I instinctively pull out my phone at the terminal instead of my wallet. The above stores sum up about 90% of my shopping too, so I'm at the point where I use Apple Pay more than the traditional credit card swipe.

21. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

I'd love to use it but haven't been to a store that accepts it, or NFC in general, in two months. A few stores have setup their chip readers but still no NFC. Not a screaming success for me.

22. aconnell11 macrumors newbie

aconnell11

Petco
    Campus vending machines (UW Oshkosh)
    Occasionally at a super market near me when the NFC readers decide to work.

23. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I use  pay at my self service checkouts in Morrisons which is a large supermarket chain in the Uk.

McDonalds.
    K.F.C.

Even my local bookies William Hill now accepts  pay.

Quite funny as I still see some people looking at me as I pay with my iPhone.

I had one negative experience but that was down to the Cashier messing up.

Then watching my Bank Account to ensure it didn't slip through.

24. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Quit using Apple Pay long ago. Too many errors and most the time it did not work at all. By the time I do Apple Pay I could also have used the credit/debit card.

25. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I almost never use it because, despite the fact that basically everywhere I shop has the correct terminals, nobody has activated nfc payments. I've used it a couple times at Walgreens but I don't exactly frequent there.