Do you use folders?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by zooby, May 27, 2012.

1. zooby, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I use a few folders. Usually dump all the games into one folder.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I have only one folder: For all the useless stock apps which I don't use but can't get rid of.

4. kiyonepbs macrumors newbie

kiyonepbs

This applies for me as well. Since the screen is much bigger on my iPad than iPhone, I don't feel as inclined to reduce screen pages.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

It seems to me that there aren't more icons per page on the iPad, just that they are spaced out more :confused:

6. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

I use folders but suspect they're more of a hindrance than a help. For example, I created a folder for all my photography apps, including camera. The problem used to be that starting the camera for a quick snapshot was a protracted procedure:

1. Hit home button
    2. Slide to unlock
    3. Enter passcode
    4. Hit home again to return to first springboard screen
    5. Open folder
    6. Tap camera icon

... By which time whatever I was trying to snap had long gone.

This has changed with ios5 and its quick camera icon, but it can still be a pain trying to start an app quickly, and folders just get in the way. Random placement of apps on various springboard screens might be more intuitive. Amazon tried organising their warehouses by alphabetical order but found it no better than the old random arrangement they'd always had. It's a bit like that. Organization doesn't always help.

7. xRYD3Rx macrumors 6502

No I do not. Makes the iPad look like an iPhone or iPod. Looks amazing when's all the apps are showing big and on the display. But all the apps on my iPhone 4S are in folders besides the stock apps

8. donnaw macrumors 65816

I have several folders. All on my Home screen.
    1). General - this is where I put the apps I use most. Safari, my ewallet, Mail, Skype, FaceTime, Calendar, World Clock, Camera
    2). Business - this is where I keep all my business type apps. Bank, Brokerage, notes, QuickOffice, calculator
    3). Utilities - Settings, App store, DataManPro, Dropbox, Skydrive, iTunes, Ariport utility
    4). Puzzles - all my puzzle type games like Sudoku and my crosswords
    5). Games - other games
    6). Games 2 - more games
    7). Travel-Weather - Maps, weather apps, Yelp, etc
    8). Entertainment - iBooks, Kindle, AVPlayer, TimeWarner, Photos, etc
    9). Junk - stuff I don't use like the NewsStand, GameCenter
    10). Misc. - apps I use rarely such as WebMD, other browsers like Photon.

This gives me two rows of 5 folders on top of my screen. I keep nothing on the dock because I only use the one screen. I keep the 3-4 apps I use most in the multitask area so I use the four-finger swipe to access them all the time. Safari, Mail, iBook/Kindle (depending on the book I'm reading), and Skype. Otherwise I remove other apps from the multitask area so I don't have to swipe through them. This way I don't have to go to the Home screen a lot.

I like a clean screen. I dislike a lot of icons cluttering it up. I tried keeping 5 folders per screen and using 2 screens but found I didn't like it.

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have a lot of Apps...So

1) Games
    2) Utilities
    3) Music (Garage Band / Amplitube)
    4 Entertainment (Nasa etc.
    5) Drawing
    6) weather
    7) Connectivity

It's either that or scroll through 3 screens.:)

10. WSR macrumors regular

Counting the dock:
    iPad: 26 icons/page max (4X5 grid + 6 in dock)
    iPod Touch: 20 icons/page max (4X4 grid + 4 in dock)

Also, I do use folders a lot to minimize the number of pages.

11. Kaspers, May 28, 2012
    Last edited: May 28, 2012

Kaspers macrumors regular

Kaspers

Definitely using folders:

[​IMG]

With the FolderEnhancer Cydia tweak it works very responsive and fast!

12. TLewis macrumors 65816

I have a metric *ssload of apps, and so I have one page that's nothing but folders (just like Kaspers, but with more apps :D ). That way, almost all of my apps are on one page, and I don't have to flip flip flip trying to find an app.

However, my main home page consists of often-used apps -- NO folders (in fact, I still have a couple of open spaces). The second page is my nothing-but-folders page. (Even then, I still have a total of five pages.)

13. Fresh Tendrils macrumors regular

I have a lot of apps on my devices, so yeah I use folders. Even with everything in folders I still have about 5 pages of folders :( I wish that apple would let you put as many apps as you want in a folder, and just scroll up and down like on OSX.

14. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I use folders, and I want sub folders also.

I want one folder called games.
    In this folder are sub folders, called things such as Card games, board games, driving games, relaxing games, shooting games

That type of thing.
    Just like on a proper computer so you can organize things well and keep it all neat and tidy.

I don't think Apple will ever give us sub folders, but I hope I'm wrong

15. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

Jailbreak and install Infinifolders.

That's what I do and I have about 6 folders with different categories of apps. I can't imagine the chaos without folders I have 147 apps installed.

16. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

17. Kaspers macrumors regular

Kaspers

I would still advice EnhancedFolders, because it changes the way folders open, makes them full screen and makes them open MUCH faster than the original way how apple implemented this.

18. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

I used to use folders, but I don't anymore. I manage my installed apps via iTunes, so i only have a few pages of apps at any given time. I find that I'm more likely to use some apps when they're a swipe and a tap away and I can see their icon rather than opening up a folder.

19. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

20. Elise macrumors 6502

I definitely use folders. I don't like flicking through pages and pages until I get the app I want.

21. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Indeed, I generally use search to find the app I want anyhow.

22. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Yes I use folders, it is a necessary evil, especially when you get a lot of apps.

Not using folders for me is the equiv. of downloading everything into the my documents folder in windows. It gets messy if you don't do a bit of organization.

23. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

This

24. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Not on my iPad.

I don't use many apps anyway since it has a nice sized display, I prefer to work directly in the browser, as opposed to using an app.

25. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

I set up folders on my iPad because I got sick of flipping through so many pages of apps. However, I can't really say I like them. It seems like I'm less likely to use an app if I can't see its icon at a glance unless it's one of my essential apps (and most of those are not in a folder!).

Because I haven't really liked the folder system, I still haven't set it up on my iPhone and I have tons of iPhone apps. My son was scrolling through my phone the other night and said, "My gosh, why are all these apps not organized in folders?!?!". I told him I have my reasons...:cool:

There has to be a better way.....