Do you use more then 4 GB of data per month?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FrancoRumors, Mar 8, 2011.

1. FrancoRumors macrumors 6502

FrancoRumors

I still have my iPad 1's unlimited data plan. I have never come close to 4 GB of usage...maybe I live in a wifi saturated part of the country. How often do you use more then 4 GB of data in a month? Are you in a perpetual state of commuting where you have nothing to do but use your iPad?

2. Retops macrumors regular

I've yet to hit 4GB on my unlimited plan and I use the Ipad daily. But, I use it for email, web surfing, writing short pieces, the occasional spreadsheet, reviewing powerpoint presentations, and reading content. None of those use much bandwidth.

The heavy users are folks who are streaming video, something I have never had any urge to do.

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I use roughly 3.5-4.5GB a month with my iPhone 4.. I'm sure I would use more on an iPad because I'd be using that device a lot more, especially with netflix. Sadly I will not be able to get unlimited.

4. bidwalj macrumors 65816

I'm not sure what I used but sling, netflix and hulu use a lot

5. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

I really have to FORCE myself to use this much.

Normally, I only use less than 1GB of my 6GB plan. :(

Once I upgrade to 4.3 and enable Hotspot I should go over 1GB.

Not a fan of Netflix, I tried it for a month and the content blows up here. I'm Guessing streaming Videos is the key using Data but maintaining battery life is more important.

6. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Judging by the fact that I hit my monthly cap just about every month with several days to go AND I am already NOT using the iPad earlier for things BECAUSE OF THE CAP, I would say I could use around 4gb easily

I use it often for email, news apps, little radio streaming, etc....and it eats up data apparently

7. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

How are they heavy users for simply watching a few videos?

As others have shown, it only takes more than a few Netflix/Hulu shows to hit the cap

How our tech society has gone from 24/7 downloaders being heavy users to....grandmas watching a few shows....is truly amazing

8. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I had an unlimited data plan on my iPhone 4 prior to switching to the 4GB plan with tethering this week and I was hitting 1GB per month or less faithfully. 4GB will be more than enough for me.

9. Tom359 macrumors regular

I was shocked at how little data I acutally use

I have an iPhone 4 and a 3g iPad. I do not have wifi available at work, so I have to rely on my data connection. Up till now, tethering the iPad to the iPhone was not an option, so I had unlimited data on both. Now that the hotspot is available (I am running 4.3), I did some checking on my past data use. At no time in the last year did I go over 1 gig of data on either device! Knowing that, I have switched to the new tethering plan. 4 gigs of data is plenty for me, and it will allow me to get the wifi iPad 2 and save some money there. I also lose the $25 per month data plan on the iPad for a net savings of about $10 per month. It's a win/win for me!

10. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

I have unlimited but I rarely go over 4GB, I think the only times I've gone over 4GB it was actually over 5GB (I don't think I've ever gone over 6GB); I think most of those few times (twice a year tops) I'm out of town somewhere with no WiFi so it's just easier to use the data on the phone for everything...

I do lots of updates when I'm out (apps/podcasts) that I really don't need to do on cellular, but since I can, I do. So I could go significantly less. I think I'm using more data with my 6s, I think if I got the 6s plus I'd be using it more (maybe watching more video on the larger screen).

Gary

11. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

12. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

Phone + iPad = roughly 18gb/month

Generally less than 6 on the iPad alone though.

13. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

I hit 35GB this month alone but the lad battered MovieBox but thought he was on the house BB

14. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

15. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

With wifi at home and work I doubt I will ever use the 6GB I have on my mini 4

16. Vengeful macrumors member

Vengeful

I havent gone passed 3GB in more than 6 months, I decided to change my plan and cut my bill down by 40$.

17. joy_ng macrumors member

I had unlimited on my iPad one and sold the service to someone for $500

18. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I have 6GB mobile share and I never hit 4GB at all. But when I shared it with my laptop it runs over 4GB few times I guess laptop data is more than mobile data.

19. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Yes. Some months Ill hit 15-20gb since I commute a lot and stream during the time.

20. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

21. vlinkz macrumors regular

Almost always in a wifi zone so my cellular data usage is very low.

22. fm_carv macrumors member

fm_carv

23. AppleMan2015 macrumors regular

AppleMan2015

I don't use data on my iPad but I would like to. Only thing is, I would likely use more than 4GB I use probably about 6-8 per month on my phone which has wifi when at home and school.