Do you use Safari or Firefox? Other?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cleanup, Aug 8, 2007.

?

Do you use Safari or Firefox?

1. Safari

36 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. Firefox

31 vote(s)
    41.3%
  3. Neither

6 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. I don't browse the internet. Oh, wait...

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Which is it?

Personally, while I find Safari to be a very beautiful and sleek web browsing experience, it's slow as molasses and I get frequent hang ups and it takes up excessive CPU and memory resources. So today I finally decided to use Firefox exclusively, even if it's not quite as pretty. I applied a Safari theme and it looks good enough.

On that note, does anyone know how to get rid of the Favicon/swirly loading thing on the tabs in Firefox? Thanks!

2. Ludde macrumors regular

I normally use Safari and if I bump into a site it can't handle, I use Opera :)

3. seh80 macrumors 6502

seh80

I'm using the safari beta and love it. I prefer FF on windows, but I don't like it at all on a mac.

4. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

Is the Safari beta much faster than Safari 2? Because I find the stable Safari has lots of trouble with images/video/flash/Java/etc. Firefox flies through it. Safari hangs when I switch tabs that carry a lot of information. Firefox is very responsive on the other hand.

5. wngraham macrumors regular

I was an avid Firefox user on Windows, but since switching to Mac 2 years ago I've stuck with Safari. I've had no issues with speed or dfficulty handling certain pages.

I briefly switched to Camino, but decided I prefer the overall interface of Safari.

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I've used both a lot, but right now I prefer using the Safari 3 beta.

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

8. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

9. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Firefox.

I don't like that Safari launches links with target="_blank" in new windows, rather than new tabs.

I've also had copy/paste problems with YouTube embed code with Safari.

10. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

I use Safari, for 2 weeks, then i go exclusively to FF, then 1 week later I use camino exclusively. I CANT SETTLE. If Safari had a GOOD FREE adblocker, id stick with it till something better comes along.

There are things I like about each, I love how safari is integrated into OS X. For example, you press :apple:-I and emaili the page to someone ( the page is in the email, not a link). I use that quite often and havent found a replacement for that using FF or camino, not even in the services menu.

I love the fact that FF is open source, If OS programs had better interfaces, id use them exclusively. I love all the extensions for FF and that I can make it look like whatever I want and make it my own. But I hate that the + button doesnt zoom or whatever it does in FF and camino. ADBLOCKERPLUS is only equaled by INQUISITOR.

Camino is a cross between the two, without too many strong points of either; not too many extension and lack of OS integration. But it does have adblocker.

So....right now im typing on Safari, and looking at ads:(

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I used to use OmniWeb for its great cookie management. Now I use a mixture of Safari and Firefox. Does anybody still use OmniWeb?

12. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

SafariStand lets you fix this :)

13. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

Just command click...

14. thworple macrumors 6502

thworple

I use Firefox - just got so attached to my plug-ins

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

16. hollywoodmacguy macrumors regular

Although I'd love to use Safari to support :apple:, I work in media relations and it seems that when I visit many news sites, i.e. CNN.com, Safari crashes when trying to load graphics. It also pings me constantly with false alerts about its being unable to confirm the authenticity of the site I want to visit, i.e. Earthlink.net. (Have notified :apple: as a courtesy btw.)

That being the case, I primarily use Firefox and find that it works extremely well.

Have been hearing good things about Opera. Anybody have any experience with that browser?

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ah, the weekly browser thread....

i use Camino.

18. -::ubermann::- macrumors regular

19. freeedge369 macrumors member

Firefox

I recently started using a mac, and having been a pc user that preferred alternative software, Firefox was comfortable for me.
    Plus, extensions are awesome.

20. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I know. I've heard this recommendation before. I can also right-click.

The problem is not when I want to open a window in a new tab. The problem is when somebody (coding a site) surprises me with a Web site with target="_blank".

These forums are sort of a good example. Anybody posts a link, and that link opens in a new window. Not a big deal, because I expect it. I can manually tell the browser to open the link in a new tab.

But when I'm on a random site, I click a link, and it launches a new window, that bugs the crap out of me. If my alternative is to open all links in new tabs, I'll pass.

Thanks... Checking it out now.

21. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

add this to your userChrome.css file in firefox's profile folder

22. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I installed it "the standard way", and have no idea what to do next. LOL. I don't see any extra menus or buttons. Can't find anything in the Preferences menu.

Can you give me some direction here? I'm using Safari 3.0.3 (522.12.1).

Thanks.

23. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy