Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
I downloaded it about two years ago when I heard that it was taking the world by storm, and I thought it was really cool, but then they started charging for SkypeOut, so I stopped using it (which wasn't much before then), and all my friends are on AIM for chat anyways.

I'm getting more interested in it now (especially after our $2400 at&t bill.) I tried buying some credit tonight, but it wouldn't let me. I hope somebody develops a client for it when the iPhone's software goes open in February. I also wish iChat was compatible with Skype. I want my family to use it the next time we go internationally on our E61 (or iPhones, fingers crossed.)

Do you use Skype? For what purpose? How often?

jng

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2007
Germany
Skype won't help your $2400. You guys need to look at your talking habits.

I use skype and have Skype Pro. I pay about $60/yr. for a U.S. number that my friends and family back home dial. It rings on my computer and all my incoming calls are free. With Skype Pro I also got $10 Skype Out credit, which I use mostly to call people to tell them to call me.

Nowadays you can also buy a skpe phone for anywhere between $50-$200. I'm thinking about getting one but it'd cost in the higher range since all the USB ones don't work with Mac. Then I'd need a VOIP phone, which costs at least $100. I'd want a cordless phone because I think using skype is great but I hate being tethered to my computer via a headset (a must if you skype).

Also in most of my european friends are on Skype, not AIM.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Nowadays you can also buy a skpe phone for anywhere between $50-$200. I'm thinking about getting one but it'd cost in the higher range since all the USB ones don't work with Mac.

That is not true.
See here for a start…

Unless you meant to say: Some of the USB ones don't work with Mac.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
I just got a new mobile which comes with a skype client with free data. It's actually reasonably good, if a bit buggy. It means I can make free calls to other skype users when I'm out and about. Pretty handy.

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
Skype does a better job of video and audio quality than iChat does, at least for me. That's why I use it.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I used to use Skype, but then I upgraded to Leopard and it wouldn't open up...

wozzlewoozle

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2005
sarkoland
I use skype routinely to keep in touch with friends/family. I find it generally works quite well, although occasionally the sound quality is a little poor. This is however offset by the cost, $0.00

cornopaez

macrumors regular
I downloaded it about two years ago when I heard that it was taking the world by storm, and I thought it was really cool, but then they started charging for SkypeOut, so I stopped using it (which wasn't much before then), and all my friends are on AIM for chat anyways.

I'm getting more interested in it now (especially after our $2400 at&t bill.) I tried buying some credit tonight, but it wouldn't let me. I hope somebody develops a client for it when the iPhone's software goes open in February. I also wish iChat was compatible with Skype. I want my family to use it the next time we go internationally on our E61 (or iPhones, fingers crossed.)

Do you use Skype? For what purpose? How often?

I use Skype a lot to talk to my family (at least once or twice a day). The sound quality is great from computer to computer (better than Tiger's iChat audio conference quality) and from computer to landline and cells varies depending where the person is, although it usually sounds just fine.

The price doesn't bother me cause paying about 4 cents/min to the States or around 9 cent/min to South America it's really cheap compared to many, many other options...

If you're having issues buying credit I recommend trying the paypal option at checkout; for some reason certain cards are rejected automatically if you have a good ID Theft Protection :D it has worked for me so far!

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
I use skype for all my outgoing calls. I bought a Netgear dual skype/landline phone (which is also cordless). It works absolutely great. Sound quality is very good and if the person on the other side is using skype as well the call is free. Otherwise its still a lot cheaper than our old landline provider.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
I use it sometimes, but the call out feature is a godsent if you have friends in other countries.

Now if only Apple included call out into iChat, produced a sexy handset and gave me a free number with my .mac account. :(

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Yup. Love it.

It's quite handy for communicating with friends and loved ones who live thousands of miles away.
Skype does a better job of video and audio quality than iChat does, at least for me.
Really? I disagree. I feel Skype's audio > iChat's. But iChat's video quality is better. But seeing as the video doesn't make me feel as "connected" as the audio, I find myself using Skype more so than iChat for the better audio. Plus, if I'm on iChat, people will IM and that's obnoxious. Don't have that problem so much w/ Skype. :p

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
I use skype a lot when I'm abroad, it's much cheaper to call from Skype than a land-line (USA to ASIA). This summer I'd skype my friends back home for free. I'm trying to connect my mom and her family by purchasing skype phones for all of them so it'll be way cheaper than calling all the time. I feel OP's $2400 international call bill.

NewMacGirl

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2007
We use it all the time to phone fmilly in the UK. Skypeout 99% of time too. $4o of credit lasts us over 6 months and that is talking with no consideration on time limits. We have a logitech Skype phone which is liked to a wireless unit connected to our PC so we can go anywhere in the house and use it like a normal phone.

Its cut our bills by at least 300%. Can't be bothered with it on the PC with those awful headsets, and the video is more trouble than its worth I reckon. PC to PC calls are worse than using Skype out I reckon.

Yes skype is brilliant

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
NewMacGirl. Just try video, it's really nice. I rarely use Skype for text-only messaging, because the audio quality is so good.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
yes, but not very often, just to call some school friends and have a groupcall

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I have never used Skype, and have no plans to, especially when the most important people for me to chat with I can use Apple's iChat for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.