Do you use Spaces? I don't get it... why do I need it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by OldCorpse, Feb 18, 2010.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Sorry, to ask such a basic question - but I don't get the point of Spaces. I mean, I've read what Apple says about it, but I just don't see the need in my workflow for Spaces.

Am I missing out on some awesome functionality? Is there some secret trick to make Spaces super useful? I mean, I feel weird not using such a big feature of an OS.

Help me out here... how do you use Spaces? Also, is there a big performance penalty for enabling this functionality (kinda like the way Dashboard sucks the RAM out of your system)?

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I use it. The way I have it setup is one space is used for Mail and iChat, and the other space is for Safari, Xcode and more productivity-based apps (ok, web surfing isn't always productive :p). This way I can focus on work related things without having to always see IM and email messages, but I can quickly flip to them if I want to.

I used to use a second monitor but it was more of a nuisance, so Spaces is a nice replacement for me.

3. cmaier macrumors G3

No noticeable performance impact.

I use space 1 for mail.app / adium / netnewswire / chrome, and do my work in space 2 (ms office), space 3 (xcode), and space 4 (misc. other).

4. GeneKam macrumors regular

I have to do a lot of research and business work. so i end up using like 8 spaces, some for excel spread sheets, one for report, few for source info, one for itunes, one for chat and thats just the usual. I, at times have a lot of stuff going on at once. Spaces is the one of the best features for workflow.

5. Mac-Michael macrumors regular

I use spaces with application assignments:
    Space 1 - Internet
    Space 2 - VMWare
    Space 3 - Multimedia
    Space 4 - misc

neat stuff

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, I would just have all that stuff open and when I needed to switch to one I'd click on the corresponding dock icon. So, I don't see the need for spaces.

7. cmaier macrumors G3

1) I hide my dock, and I prefer to use the keyboard rather than a mouse
    2) with spaces, your relative window arrangements are preserved. However you like things spread out, partially overlapped, etc. When you switch using the dock, if you are using more than one app at a time you may have to rearrange everything each time.

8. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I have spaces turned on, and it's super useful. I just put all of my applications in all of the spaces, and then I put my face really close to the screen and make the windows whoosh past. *whoooosh*

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

It's ok if you don't use a certain feature of an OS - they aren't useful for everyone.

As for me, I use Spaces to organize my windows more efficiently. I have a space for internet apps (Safari, Mail, Adium), for iTunes, for file transfers, for Parallels, for office apps and a clean space.

Expose helps using apps/windows within a space.

I usually navigate in spaces by using a special mouse button for "top" view and by using Option-#

10. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

That's interesting... maybe I should give it a try... I guess I'm just naturally organized, so perhaps I have relatively less use for stuff like spotlight and spaces. But heck, I can learn, and if there are real productivity gains, I'm all for it...

11. mac2x macrumors 65816

It's the most important part of my workflow. I use it more than Exposé, actually. It's nice to spread windows out by task instead of cramming them all in one workspace. Any performance penalty is negligible.

I use 6 spaces.

Attached Files:

12. SuperBrown macrumors member

I only have a 15" MBP, so I like to have each individual apps take up the entire screen and switch between them with +Tab. I suppose with a larger screen I'd assign certain apps to specific spaces, but I too rarely use Spaces to be honest.

EDIT: just worded better. :)

13. bossxii macrumors 68000

I started using spaces on my 13" MBP and have never looked back. I now have a 27" iMac and still use it daily. Setting up four different desktops makes it very easy for me to keep my work items separate from personal. VNC client, work email in one "space" while my personal web, notes etc.. on another. I usually setup iTunes in it's own and then have a fourth to drag anything I want to look at later.

I have the magic mouse and it's setup with a 2 finger swipe, fast easy and eliminates the need for a 2nd physical monitor. I can be running a full screen video in one space and flick to check something on another screen without disrupting or closing the video player.

I hate clutter and it cleans up the desktop I'm working on and leave the rest tucked away out of sight while having it there at the flick of the mouse ready and waiting. It has changed my desktop from a very cluttered area to a very organized workspace.

14. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

All my Macs are Tiger and below, so I don't know what spaces is either. Recently I got a 13" MBP (with SL on it) so I guess I'll take a look to see what spaces is all about...:D

15. nastebu macrumors 6502

If you're working with two more more windows spaces completely rocks. You can set up the windows so that they fit the screen nicely, and leave it in one of the spaces. Then if you need to do something else for a while, you just zip into another space and don't have to worry about (or think about) your window arrangement until you're ready too.

Also, if you use the commands to keep certain applications in certain spaces, it's a nice way to leave your calendar, email, todo list, etc. full screen or appropriately sized, and not have it distract you while you do your other work. When you need to look at the calendar you just zip over to it and it's full screen and not cluttered up by other open windows.

I love spaces.

16. kasakka macrumors 68000

I don't really get along with spaces. I find it useful when using my MBP's own display but since I'm connected to an external monitor most of the time I keep Spaces turned off.

I have made an Applescript that arranges my windows based on the displays I use at work and home (1920x1200 and 2560x1600 res). It's plenty of space to have everything so that I can see if there are updates to my RSS reader, IRC, mail etc.

17. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I use 3 screens with Spaces,

- 1 with my main tasks (ie InDesign)
    - 1 with Safari
    - 1 with email, Skype

18. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Do you keep your socks, underwear, silverware, pens and pencils all in the same drawer? If so, you probably don't need Spaces.*

*Alternative conclusion: Then you might be a redneck.
    (or... Then you might not be smarter than a fifth grader.)

;)

19. thepro8 macrumors member

thepro8

I love spaces! I think it's once of the coolest features in osx.

I use it to stay organized and not clutter up windows.

Space 1: Finder, Adium, Skype
    Space 2: Internet
    Space 3: Parallels running windows
    space 4: Mail
    Space 5: Itunes
    Space 6: empty right now.

20. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Spaces isn't for everyone, and I don't use it all the time
    I have my MBP connected to a 23" ACD so I usually have plenty or screen real estate for anything I do

But, when I use Windows in VMware Fusion, I like to have it in a separate space
    It is like having a separate Windows computer
    I don't care much for Unity Mode or having it on my main screen

On the other hand, I never use Expose

21. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Virtual desktops are wonderful if you do work on your computer that involves having lots of applications or documents open at once. I'm seriously looking forward to having this in SL. It would be spiffy to be able to keep windows from an ongoing project open in one space but not cluttering my desktop while working on another project in another space.

I wish, though, that instead of assigning apps to each space, we could assign which space specific files open in by default.

22. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Works fine in SL. And in your preferences, you can specify which space an app opens/lives in. :)

Attached Files:

23. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I think he wants specific files, not just apps

24. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'm also a 6 space Spaces user. :)

I've got my Mighty Mouse set up so I click the scroll wheel for Spaces and squeeze the side buttons for Exposé. One of the best bits from Leopard. :)

Screen shot 2010-02-19 at 16.03.59.png

25. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Thanks, was gonna delete that.:rolleyes:

But by having an app that opens the file by default, then you kinda can do this. :eek: