Do you use spaces?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by odinsride, Nov 12, 2007.

1. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Having never really used anything like spaces in my 12 years of computers...I'm having trouble remembering that Leopard features spaces :) I find myself still using just one screen and alt+tab and alt+` for my multitasking needs. I could see it being useful if I were doing a lot of programming or design work on my mac but I don't. Is anyone else having trouble finding a use for spaces or finding it difficult to get used to them?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I'm currently using 6 spaces and am thinking about upgrading to 9. Really love this feature and have found that it increases my productivity an awful lot.

4. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Spaces rocks. Needs some fixes though. A few minutes ago I was downloading a Microsoft Office update in one space while typing an e-mail in another. When the download was ready for user input it yanked me out of my e-mail and threw me over into the Office space :cool:

[EDIT] I just upgraded to 6 spaces myself, xUKHCx. May go higher as well.

5. megatronbomb macrumors regular

megatronbomb

I couldn't figure out why anyone would use spaces, until this afternoon when it occurred to me that I could use an alternate space instead of my regular space for all my sticky notes, so I'm thinking about configuring it.

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Definitely, under Tiger and Panther I never used Stickies but now it opens on Login in its own space.

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I've been using it since I loaded Leopard and would now be lost without it. I've increased the spaces from 4 to 6 this weekend and wouldn't be surprised if I end up adding more.

I'm using F8 or clicking the application I want on the dock to switch between the spaces. I'm finding it very easy to use, I see it as a natural extension to Exposé.

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It became 2nd nature as quickly as Expose did (which is to say - instantly). I use both Spaces and Expose - actually, mostly Spaces.

Spaces is on UL hot corner. Expose all windows on UR.

9. psonice macrumors 6502a

I use it a lot. I ran a 3rd party app that did similar things (but not so nicely) a while back under tiger too. What I use it for:

- a space with mail and ical permanently open (I have two screens..)
    - one with my vmware machines (windows and linux run fullscreen, and with a mouseclick I'm back in osx)
    - one with a web browser
    - one for general desktop stuff, finder etc.

You can keep everything nice and tidy with it, and if you use the preferences to assign apps to spaces just alt-tabbing or clicking on the dock icon takes you to the right space. If you have a spare mouse button, try using it for spaces.

10. Halsey12 macrumors regular

I did until I couldn't figure out how to not get new mail messages to pop open in a completely new space every time I went to write an e-mail. It was really annoying to me, and no matter how many times I dragged the message back into the space that Mail was in, the next one would pop right open in a new space. Otherwise, I loved it for Photoshop work.

11. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

spaces is invaluable to me running vmware fusion full screen and being able to switch between two os instantly... i normally have 2 spaces one all mac and one windows xp pro, although sometimes i'll set up 4

Attached Files:

12. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

interesting...I like the idea of using a space for stickies. I now have a reason to use spaces!

13. Daphtdazz macrumors member

As we're on the subject...

I absolutely love Spaces. I hated having to close/minimize/hide windows when I'm not using them. It is the lazy person's dream come true, especially with the support for the Mighty Mouse: one little squeeze and there are all my apps: music, photos, web, Pages, Terminal screens, Xcode, Mail etc etc. And the way the windows just slide around. Sometimes it still catches me unawares and I find myself grinning inanely, to myself.

6 spaces is the way to go, but I really wish I had an excuse for opening up more. If you're not using it, you're not enjoying yourself enough.

Oh, and did I mention being able to use Exposé in Spaces? I dig that big.

14. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

For when I'm pottering.

Picture 2-2.png

When I get down to work the middle bottom and bottom right become Word and Excel.

I have it set to crtl+arrow. Works very well.

15. kjr39 macrumors 6502

All of the time.

I used to use something similar when I was a Solaris admin...

I have a space for Firefox, one for mail, one for iTunes and one for misc stuff...

16. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Yes

I haven't even had my mac for 12 hours yet and it is one of my most commonly used features in it. It is such a help when I have a lot of windows open.

17. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

My exact same setup (substitute Firefox for Safari, though).

18. Daphtdazz macrumors member

If you haven't done this, I would recommend fixing an app to all spaces, have it open, and then watch as the window follows you round the spaces, sliding in and out of other open windows. Holding shift down as you go into spaces slows the animation down, if you didn't know, and if you do that with a couple of windows moving between the others, it's pretty cool :cool: to watch. :)

19. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

Use Spaces? I LOVE SPACES! Hahahah. Just started using it yesterday, but God do I love this....I even threw my brother off (a Windows guy). He saw the screen I have attached and said "Whoa...Took me a second there to figure out what was going on."

Attached Files:

20. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I've used spaces a few times, and it's quite nice, although I keep forgetting to use 'em. :eek:

21. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

Spaces power tip:

Set up one of the active screen corners (System Prefs > Expose) to activate spaces. I set it to activate with the top left corner. A quick flick to the corner and everything is visible. Another quick flick to the bottom right corner to activate expose. Put cursor in the bottom left corner to sleep the display (great for notebook owners).

Give it a try!

22. mm1250 macrumors 6502

I love spaces, I have Fireworks loaded in one, Dreamweaver in another and other apps in the other 2.

I setup spaces switching using the Mighty mouse scroll ball CLICK, so I just click the scrollball and it shows me all spaces.

23. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I use Spaces everyday. It's one of the niceties that Apple made us wait for but it was worth it. I take online tests a lot for my work and I generally have one window open for my exam screen then another window for my study guide so I just place each window in it's on space using Spaces. ;)

24. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I don't currently use Spaces, I just started using Exposé and love it so I'm sure I will find the benefits of using Spaces before too long.

25. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Virtual Desktops was one of the greatest innovations from the linux community,

Spaces was a great addition to the OS,