Do you use SSD's now or plan to buy?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by VirtualRain, Jul 22, 2009.

?

Do you use SSD's now or plan to buy?

1. I currently have multiple SSD's in my systems

11 vote(s)
    5.7%
  2. I have one SSD and will likely buy more in the future

21 vote(s)
    10.8%
  3. I have one SSD and that's enough

6 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. I don't own any SSD but plan to buy one soon

35 vote(s)
    18.0%
  5. I don't own any but may buy one in the next 6-12 months

97 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. I don't foresee purchasing an SSD at this point

24 vote(s)
    12.4%
  1. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

When the 160GB version of Intel's X25-M is $50, I'll buy. They're way too expensive right now.

3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I'll buy the 160GB Intel X25-M when it is $150-$200.

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I plan on buying two Intel 80GB SSDs to use as a RAID boot volume, probably in about a year.

5. VirtualRain thread starter macrumors 603

VirtualRain

That's going to take awhile then. By the time a 160GB SSD is $50, there will be 1TB drives selling for under $200. If the capacity to price ratio doubles every year, you are looking at about a 4-5 year wait I'm guessing.

I'm guessing that's likely 1-2 years away.

6. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I'm running two of the latest Supertalent 64 GB SSDs as an OS X RAID0 boot drive.

I might try an additional 80 GB Intel for my Bootcamp Vista 64 in some weeks when the new drives are available everywhere.

7. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I have one in my laptop. I would love to have one in my Mac Pro, I'm just trying to figure out where to put it. All 4 HDD Bay's are full along with both optical bays.

8. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

This is probably what I'd do. I need to equal or better my velociraptor at a somewhat reasonable price.

9. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I think 6-12 months is too short. 24 months maybe. So I voted the bottom one.

10. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Velcro it to the bottom of an existing HDD.. Bay two seems promising!

I guess you need an SATA card tho.

11. MacVidCards Suspended

Some time ago I put a 64G SSD in my Macbook.

I have a friend with an identical machine with a 5400rpm HD. It is quite comical to do the "Simultaneous Boot" and "Photoshop Launch" tests side by side.

The mechanical hard drive seems to be spinning in molasses.

I need to sell off some junk and I will get whatever is around for the Mac Pro. SHould be fun.

12. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

That's a great plan, that I will be doing, myself(when I finally get an MP)
    You don't need a SATA card! What about the ODD SATA ports on the mobo? Unless you have a shiny '09 model...

I'm getting an SSD as soon as the market-values drop from the new, cheaper, faster 34nm Intels. Or, I may just buy that very drive.
    I need to milk this weak G5 with my last possible non-CPU upgrade possible. :p

The funny thing is, I will be capped with SATA I speeds! At least I'll be maxing it out, and I'll be able to take my SSD with me to the MP. Can't say that for my $200 worth of RAM(4GB ceiling:rolleyes:)

13. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

And that is where my problem occurs.

Why couldn't they find a hole in there somewhere to shove a boot drive, kinda like the Xserve? :)

14. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

No pun intended but the current Mac Mini is faster than that G5.

It may be an intermediate upgrade until you jump for something more expensive, like the Mac Pro.

15. noiceT macrumors 6502a

Wow, that is a good idea ^^ Anyone have recos for sturdy holding velcro? 3M I'm guessing, but maybe some good types.

16. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Heh - I would put an SSD in my G5, but that would be a bit overkill - I AM planning on putting two in 2010 MacPro, if it comes. One for OSX, one for Windows 7 (and hopefully the Xeons will have virtualisation and I can use Xp-compatibility mode!!).

In the meantime, Samsung F1s fulfilled the need for speed :D

My 970MP processors would beg to differ. Even though FSB, architectures, and executables are different, four cores clocked higher generally whips meat-sauce out of two slower clocked (albeit more efficient) cores.

17. joehahn macrumors regular

ill buy an SSD when 512GB's is under 200, ill upgrade to 8gb of ram then too

18. tanousjm macrumors member

I actually went on a bit of an SSD binge and now I've got 5 total:

2 x X25-M 80GB in RAID 0 in my 2009 Mac Pro Octo

1 x X25-M 160GB in my late 2007 iMac, which is basically just a Plex system for the bedroom now

1 x X25-M 160GB in my wife's late 2008 MacBook Pro

1 x Samsung MCBQE32G5MPP-0VA00 32GB which started in my old MacBook and is now in the living room Mac Mini.

The X25s are very nice but, honestly, the older and slower Samsung feels so much faster. It's read and write speeds are theoretically less than the Intel drives, but the Samsung is an SLC drive. I swear, it feels like that Mac Mini boots up in under 10 seconds. Has anyone else had experience with Samsung SLC and Intel MLC SSDs? Is the perceived "snappiness" a result of the different technology? Even the 2 X25s in RAID 0 don't feel as fast.

Overall, I'm really happy with the SSDs and I will continue to buy them for operating system drives, but I still use conventional hard drives in RAID 0 for scratch disks and other, non-OS storage.

19. TSchiewe macrumors newbie

20. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Very good early impressions.

21. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

Sequential write speeds on the X-25M G2 is very weak for its class. Higher than any HDD sure, but with random read & write still kicking that proverbial posterior, this is the best contender for an OS volume, IMHO.

If I wanted an SSD for, say, rendering/encoding, I would stick with the OCZ Vertex, or another with the Indilinx Barefoot (MLC) controller. Those get much more rounded results.

The random write on the new Intel is just too good, though. 34.5 Vs. 7.57 in MB/s. Stunning defeat.

22. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

That's right. Not enough categories there.
    If the SSD doesn't come down to the price I want to pay, I'll be more than happy with Western Digital's 300GB 10,000rpm VelociRaptor.
    My next big budget item will be ATI's HD 5870 Mac Edition. :)

23. enb141 macrumors member

If you look the velociraptor one year ago the price was the same but look at this SSDs the price is getting lower every 4-6 months so in one year the velociraptors will cost more than any SSD in the same capacity.

That's why I currently have a velociraptor but will upgrade mine with an SSD when the 320GB cost $200-$300.

24. ventro macrumors 6502a

I can't wait to get rid of my noisy, hot velociraptor. Viva la SSD!

25. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

I don't doubt you.... but....

[​IMG]

Found here. Thank you XKCD.

I just don't think that a linear model for SSD pricing is adequate at this moment in time - I think we may be hitting lower and lower price drops. Starting to see the exponential, for lack of a better term. Of course, my speculation could be wrong and I'm just being an ass.