Do you use the other retina modes?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xjrlokix, Oct 24, 2013.

1. xjrlokix macrumors newbie

Yesterday, I checkout out the local Apple store and I saw that you can switch the "retina modes": real retina, native resolution ...

I thought that this is a very nice feature, specially on the 13" with the smaller screen. Code stuff in full retina, edit photos in lightroom with the full resolution.

Do you guys use this feature or do you always stay in "original retina"?

2. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

I use Pupil, and switch between resolutions according to need. I mostly use 1440x900 HiDPI and 1680x1050 HiDPI, but occasionally 1920x1200 HiDPI or 2880x1800 too.

3. yliu macrumors regular

I believe that you are talking about the scaling in the retina macbooks.

Unlike changing the resolution, scaling can be more demanding on the GPU if you choose the higher resolution options. That's why I use the 'best for retina' option.

My old rMBP is quite laggy with the HD4000. I imagine the experience would be smoother on the new generation.

and I don't think apple offers the option to run it at native resolution, however you can find apps that lets you do that. Just be warned that you will barely see anything because they are so small.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If the app is Retina "aware", you should be automatically seeing images displayed at full resolution (2880 x 1800) within the rest of the GUI running at 1440 x 900. That way, you are viewing the image at the highest resolution the display is capable of, but at the same time the rest of the application can be used at 1440 x 900.

Because of the capability, the user doesn't have to worry about what mode the display is in. You would really only need the "higher res" modes when you want more real estate.

I don't have experience with LightRoom, but Aperture and others behave this way.

5. xjrlokix thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I meant, the more real estate ;) - Sorry, not a native English speaker.

I think I would use a larger resolution for editing photos in Lightroom because of the limited space (tools, library, presets ...). I just wanted to know, if people use it.

Pupil looks nice. I will buy it once I have a rMBP.

6. fratey macrumors regular

On my 13" Retina, yes.

* Generally, I stay in the 1280x800 mode.
    * When multitasking (under the condition that I have my glasses och lenses available), I use the 1440x900 but more often the 1680x1050 mode.

* When using Photo Mechanic, I use 2560x1600 without HiDPI to minimize the GUI size while retaining pixel perfect quality on images (important!).

I use Pupil. Best five dollars ever spent.

7. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

There are also alternatives to pupil, like QuickRes the feature-rich SwitchResX. All of them have trial versions available, so you can try which one fits your needs best. I liked the clean and simple interface of Pupil compared to QuickRes, and did not need the customization offered by SwitchResX.

The scaled resolutions work nicely with Lightroom, but the scaling introduces a slight blur. Using the "Best for Retina" resolution has the advantage, that the image area in Lightroom and Photoshop is rendered in native resolution and only the tools are scaled up, when with scaled modes everything is rendered in 3840x2400 and scaled down. But sometimes the added real estate of the scaled resolutions might still be worth it.

I mostly hide all the Lightroom toolbars anyway, so for me the "Best for Retina" is the best choice :)

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have the 13" and I came from a 17" cMBP...Thought I'd be constantly changing in and out of retina mode, but I don't. 99% of the time I'm in Retina mode.