Do you use your expresscard slot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jturn00, Feb 7, 2008.

1. jturn00 macrumors member

I am going to get a new MBP (whenever they release a the new model) but I wanted to know, does anyone use the expresscard slot?
    Jeff

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

yeah, I use it every so often with my Griffin SD card reader.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Not at the moment, although I was considering buying a card reader for it...

4. Swagfndr macrumors newbie

I use it to connect to the internet via my verizon cell card when there is no free wifi

5. lekun macrumors regular

Nope, but

Nope, but I have thought about getting either a. A memory card reader (there is a slick one from Griffin), or b. a remote, ala Apple remote, that fits in that slot.

I'm leaning towards A, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I want to get broadband internet, but will probably get a USB modem so I can use it with any computer (e.g. my wife's laptop or my work laptop).

6. jhsfosho macrumors 6502

Yeah, I keep my Sandisk SD card reader in there. Awesome for traveling, and much faster than my other readers or transferring straight from my camera. I've thought about getting a remote to keep in it, or a 16 gb flash drive for extra storage.

7. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

I haven't used it a single time in the nearly one year I've owned my MBP... I am thinking of ponying-up the cash to get aircard service through VZW....just hesitant b/c of the 2 year contract (monthly fee I'm fine w/)..

8. BrittQ macrumors regular

9. tip macrumors 6502

tip

I don't, but eventually plan on getting a SATA card.

10. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

All those little SD/XD and whatever else card readers I purchased a USB gizmo for that. Never once used my express card slot.

11. TowerRat macrumors newbie

TowerRat

I don't

I have never used it. Since reading this post... I am looking into the reader by Griffith

Thank You for the information

Dave C.

12. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

I don't. I have no use for a card reader, since I don't own a camera and I use the USB cable for my external HDD for my laptop and when I buy a eSATA cable for it, I'll use that with my desktop.

13. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I normally have a card reader in it. But I also have an eSATA card in case I need to do some serious hard drive crunching.

14. gotzero macrumors 68040

Verizon AirCard.

Planning to get an eSATA card when I get a drive.

15. Crow47 macrumors member

This may be a stupid question, but are the verizon cards osx compatible? Or are you people just using it within windows? If they are osx compatible, when did that happen?

16. BlckChns macrumors newbie

Yes, they're compatible. I'm in the same boat as the rest. I want the card, but don't want to sign up for a 2 year contract:

Verizon Wireless V740 ExpressCard

17. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't even know of anything it can be used for aside from a cellular data card. I took a look at AT&T's cards recently. I wouldn't buy their ExpressCard thing since they also have a USB model. Considering USB is way more, well, universal than ExpressCard, I would buy USB in an instant.

18. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I think the main use for it is for wireless broadband cards...

19. srexy macrumors 6502a

I keep my Griffin card reader permanently installed - works perfectly for the SD cards from DSLR and the point and shoot.

20. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I never used it but always a big selling point to me. Ultimately if apple thinks a feature is important they will include it so there really wasn't much in the way of things to do with the slot. Some us them memory cards and I guess that' logical but I have tiny memory stick reader that's barely bigger than the card itself so its never bothered me.

21. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

In some ways it reminds me of why I bought a Handspring Visor rather than a Palm back when. I never did buy any of the expansion cards for the Visor...but the opportunity was there!

Reportedly an expresscard 3/4 version of the Indigo DJ is coming out in the next couple of months. That's something I look forward to.

Otherwise, haven't used it at all.

22. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I thought I was going to get whatever express card AT&T has for 3G WAN (although I suppose it could just as easily be a USB based one also)

Even though I have good access at home, in the office, and even have a T-mobile WIFI access that I received for free, there are times traveling when I need access.

Then I discovered how to tether one of my two phones to the MBP and I have 3G access now.

I still feel like I want an expresscard for something... maybe a card reader.

23. gotzero macrumors 68040

Funny you ask, it is actually a big pain to use in Windows under virtual machines... The Mac side is great.

I think they have some kind of plan (not publicized) that is $15/day or something. This would be cheaper for me some months as I am traveling less and less. Might be worth looking into.

It is nice to have constant access to a full computer, but I find myself using it less and less with the iphone around.

24. bijou macrumors regular

bijou