Do you use your iPhone as an iPod?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by packetjunkie, Aug 3, 2008.

1. packetjunkie macrumors regular

I've uploaded all my music and some movies, but I have yet to make the transition from my iPod Touch while working out. Sure, I'd love the convienynce of having one device, but the Touch is a little smaller and gets more battery time and even though I paid the same for both ($499), I seem to put more value on the iPhone and worry about breaking it while working out.

Just curious if others use the iPhone as both their phone and iPod?

2. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

3. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Yes*
    * = NOT when i'm at th gym however, thats the realm of the reg. ipod.

4. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

I replaced my iPod touch with the iPhone so yes I use the iPhone as an iPod.

5. packetjunkie thread starter macrumors regular

I still take my iPod; but the Touch is great for long cardio sessions (I have 4 daughters, so I get to watch all the "guy flicks" at the gym). I thought as soon as I got the iPhone I'd switch, but I'm almost paranoid about breaking the darn thing.

(I did buy the replacement plan from Best Buy for the Touch, so less of a concern about breaking it at the gym as every iPod I ever broke got replaced no questions asked. No such luck for the iPhone, though.)

6. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

i take my 3G to the gym, I keep it in my pocket with zipper so it's not going anywhere :D

7. cenetti macrumors 6502

I do howeva not ipod...I listen to internet radio on my way to gym in the car, and then put headphones and continue to listen in the gym...

I don't even sync my music anymore...lol
    if I really want to listen something specific, then I use seeqpod...

8. dubstar macrumors member

i dont. i put the must haves on there, but ive only used it just to check it out. i still use my video 30gig as my ipod.

even with the 16 gig it wouldnt hold everything in my itunes, so i decided from the start to get the 8 gig phone and not really plan on using it as an ipod

9. atluten macrumors 6502

10. duceswild macrumors newbie

11. 61132 Guest

Yes, constantly. The 16gb fits all my music and music videos (barely). I have 1810 songs, 13.07gb. I hook it up to my truck's stereo AUX input everyday on my way to and from work, and any other time I am driving :) I think I need to go through my library and delete stuff, I have some junk that I downloaded but I never listen to it anymore.

12. FJR macrumors regular

yeah. Although I sometimes use my other ipods as well. I have a 2 gig nano that I use to run with, since it has nike+ and an 80 gig ipod I use if I really can't decide what I want to listen to on a long road trip.

Sad thing is that I am getting really close to having my 80 gig ipod completely filled with nothing but music. Once that happens (should happen later this year) it really won't have a "purpose" other than just being the biggest ipod I have.

Such is the price of being a music junkie that has to have EVERYTHING. I've got almost two months worth of music.

13. spartan55 macrumors newbie

I finally have a music player thanks to my iPhone, so yes it is my primary music player. I love everything about my iPhone, sure things get laggy or crash but from what I upgraded from, it's a wonderful device.

14. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

i dont actually have my iphone yet, but the plan is to have just my new/favourite albums on the iphone and keep the ol' ipod for long journeys and what not, as it has all of my music on there and the iphone wouldn't fit it all on

15. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

16. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Same with me!!
    I dont want to touch my 3G when I'm all sweaty haha.
    Otherwise, yes, I use it as my only iPod.

17. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I have only one playlist consisting of about 180 of my favorite songs that syncs in but I actually use it a whole lot less than I expected I would. Kinda wish I did more often cuz I love the silky smooth transitions in and out of phone calls.

Basically the time spent in the car is my real music time and my trusty 20 gig photo is still parked in my RoadTrip.

18. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Not for music. I still use my iPod as my only iPod. :)

I did sync my what few vodcasts, videos, and movies I have into my iPhone, but I never really used iTunes to get movies or television shows, so I don't have that many. I'd rather watch those on the big screen at home.

19. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Definitely do. I just sync certain genres though to save space.

20. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

I use the shuffle at the gym...iPhone everywhere else.

21. RobLikesBrunch macrumors regular

Well, I don't like taking my iPod and iPhone everywhere, so for casual, everyday listening, the iPhone does fine. However, 16GB is simply not enough for me, can't even fit half my music on it, and I have over 100GB videos, so it doesn't work too well there anyway (and video kills battery anyway). On trips, etc, I take my 160GB classic for music/video, and iPhone for internet/calls.

22. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

That's the whole reason I got it; I was sick of taking my phone and my iPod to the gym

23. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

I use my iPhone as my iPod on the train to and from work but at the gym I use my older 80gb classic until they release a slimmer touch version with enough space to fit my needs.

24. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

25. Clarus9 macrumors newbie

Yeah I definitely do... for a while there i was carrying around my iPhone and iPod (to have all my music), but that got old pretty quick so now I've just got what I really like on my iPhone