Do you use your iPhone in the rain?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marty1990, Mar 31, 2015.

1. marty1990 macrumors 6502

In fact, any phone really.

I'm curious about this. If, for example you were out and it started to lightly rain, would you use your phone to make a call, if it was an emergency? Or would you leave it in your pocket till you got somewhere dry?

I mean, I understand torrential rain is a different story, but light rain. Would you use your phone?

Also whilst am here, what would be enough to cause water damage?

My phone hasn't been wet or anything, just wondering what people do, I mean, iPhones are expensive.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No of course not. I paid too much money to see it get destroyed in the rain.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Two years ago – no. Now, yes. Any port that would give access to rain is on the bottom of the phone (iPhone 5). Unless I'm taking a call upside down the liklihood of light rain getting in my phone is not a lot.

Not that I would not seek some sort of shelter if it were conveniently available to me however - or try to use some part of my clothing as a shield.

4. Quijano187 macrumors member

5. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

A drop would be enough to cause water damage if it makes it to the right place.

6. imlynxy macrumors 65816

This is exactly my point. +1

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I do and even out deep sea fishing but when it is raining I slip it into a sandwich ziplock. Touch screen works well while bagged.

8. You are the One macrumors 6502a

You are the One

Ditto. Don't use it in the rain, or any very humid place.

9. Learylvr. macrumors regular

Learylvr.

I bought a 5.00 waterproof plastic cover I put it in. It's great for walking dogs in the rain.. Lol. I also used sandwich Baggie in emergencies .

10. JuryDuty macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

I wouldn't be against it. My iPhone is in a case, so only the front, really, would be exposed. I wouldn't use it in a downpour, and I probably wouldn't use it if I were 5 feet from my car, but if I needed to get hold of someone and it were a light rain, I wouldn't hesitate.

11. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I have used my iPhone several times in light rain and it has held up fine. I would never use it in torrential downpour though.

12. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I have occasionally used my iPhone 5 in the rain during the over two years I've had it. So far no problems whether I'm using an Otterbox Defender or a TPU case with no screen protector. It also occasionally comes into the bathroom with me and sits on the counter while I shower. I'm not my boyfriend who takes his iPad Mini into the shower and props it up on the top of the shower wall so he can watch Netflix :eek:

13. DanGoh macrumors 6502

DanGoh

I got Applecare. I laugh at the elements!

No but if it's a heavy downpour I wait until I get somewhere dry.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

15. macher macrumors 65816

macher

I rock the Tech21 Patriot case and have used my iPhone in the rain, ice and snow storms. The Patriot is splash proof not water proof. All I have to do is wipe it with a cloth when I done.

16. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

In an emergency, like someone's life or health is on the line? Of course I'd use it in a light rain. I would just try my best to cover the edges/seams with my hands.

I don't think anyone would let someone die just to protect their phone.

17. 960design macrumors 68020

Yep and on the boat.
    HZO the thing. I live on the coast, sail and swim in the ocean daily, so for me it is certainly worth the price. Actually cheaper than a lifeproof case ( which is a crappy behemoth ) .

18. Skoal macrumors 65816

Do you use your iPhone in the rain?

Q

----------

The Lifeproof case barely adds size and it weighs nothing. I'm not sure if you've actually owned one or not because it sounds like you haven't. I've had a Lifeproof case for my last two phones and the abuse the last one took was beyond what most people's cases will ever see.

19. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

I go running with my phone on my hand and slight rain. I have a case for it with the bottom exposed and I have never had a problem. Just wipe the screen clean and you are back to normal

20. t6pilot macrumors newbie

My 6 has a lifeproof case, been in the rain several times took a swim at the dock in Avalon catalina. Phone is %100 dry and very well protected

21. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I use my 6+ in the rain all the time. It's fine as long as you don't drop it in a puddle.

22. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502

Mac-lover3

Yes, I am using my iPhone 5 in the rain. I have it for almost 2 years and 6 months and not a single problem.

23. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

I take calls on my bluetooth headset and leave it in my pocket. The automated voice notifies me who is calling me with the name listed on my contact list, so besides texting, internet, and app limitations in the rain, I can use my essentials.

24. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Kind of a funny question that I never really thought about. Probably not unless it was an emergency because I'd likely be trying to dodge the raindrops, not using a phone...don't want to go mussing up my hair. :)

25. DCIFRTHS macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

I do the same. Touch screen works, and I can still make calls!

To the original poster's question: I would use the phone in any weather, regardless of whether or not the phone was protected, if there was an emergency.