Do you use your iPhone/Touch as an alarm clock?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brandonzar, Jul 2, 2008.

?

Do you use your iPhone/Touch as an alarm clock?

1. Yes

124 vote(s)
    67.4%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. I would if I had an iPhone/Touch

43 vote(s)
    23.4%
  4. I wouldn't even if I had an iPhone/Touch

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. brandonzar macrumors regular

I use my touch as an alarm clock, but I hate the way Apple forces the alarm to only use the alarm noises that it came with. Does anyone know if someone is making an alarm clock application that can use music playlists as the alarm?

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yes, I use my Touch every day.

I expect to see an alarm app in July that will allow for more flexibility alarm sound wise.

3. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

definitely, that is one of my favorite features. The many alarms you can set. I have a couple weekday alarms, one weekend alarm and one everyday alarm. They are for various items and are not always turned on, but nice to have them saved and ready to go. I do use one weekday alarm regularly.

4. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

it's different on an iphone - you can also choose to select custom ringtones for the alarm sound and i have a ton of choices (purchased from itunes and made using iphoneringtonemaker), so it's not all that bad...

5. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

Interesting, I use my current phone as an alarm clock and am still debating whether to use the iPhone 3G as one or not, but I've got a dock downstairs on my iMac so am very tempted to leave it there over night to be safer and charge.

6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I like having a device that does everything. Using it as an alarm for the mornings for almost a year. Even alarms for different events and reminders too.

7. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

ditto

8. brandonzar thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I bet I will be more pleased with the basic alarm capabilities of the new iPhone, but I would still like to have an app. that will pick a random song from a playlist to wake me up. Variety is a beautiful thing. :)

9. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I use my iPhone as my alarm clock. Having ability to setup multiple alarms for different things is fantastic!

10. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

I plan on using my new phone for an alarm clock, but only as connected to a clock radio/ speaker system that I am going to buy. Dont know enough about the phone yet to know how to use it without the system, but Im sure I'll learn quickly enough and be able to use it by itself until my clock radio arrives :)

11. jturn00 macrumors member

In using the iphone as an alarm, does it offer snooze? and Can it go on for about 1 hour? (I am a heavy sleeper so sometimes my alarm goes off for around an hour).

12. ACKRITE macrumors member

ACKRITE

Will be buying the iPhone 3G and plan to use it as said alarm clock.

Can you have the alarm/does the alarm display text when it goes off. Like "wake up", "go to the gym", "it's 4:19, got a minute"?

Thanks all,

13. gibbz macrumors 68030

I just use ones made in garageband. I love the multiple alarms and snooze. Great all-in-one device.

14. brandonzar thread starter macrumors regular

When you set an alarm there is an option to have snooze available, I don't use it though. Why not just set the alarm for when you have to get up and get up (sorry my wife and I fought about this a lot when we first got married ;)).

I have no idea about how long it will go off for, mine never lasts more than 4 seconds, I hate the alarm sound. If it would play a playlist though I think I would let it keep going while I hit the head and get ready for the gym.

15. FunkyJunk macrumors regular

FunkyJunk

Yes, you can label each alarm and that text comes up when the alarm goes off.

16. brandonzar thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry I missed this while typing my last post.

Yes it can you can change what it says under the "Label" box when setting up the alarm. Mine tells me to go to the gym. :)

17. ACKRITE macrumors member

ACKRITE

Thanks for the prompt reply! You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

18. FunkyJunk macrumors regular

FunkyJunk

Hey, man, I was prompter! :p

19. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

20. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I LOVE the iPhone alarm!
    So customizable!
    It's so nice being able to have a bunch saved and then set specific alarms for specific days of the week.

21. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

Unless somehow Apple come up with a way for me to wake up to the Today show on BBC Radio 4 with the iPhone I'll be sticking with my DAB Radio :)

22. Squires macrumors regular

Squires

Shame it isn't the same for the touch or is it..?

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I find my iPhone is an excellent alarm clock. I use it almost everyday.

24. brandonzar thread starter macrumors regular

Are you asking about the customizability? (if that's a word) You can use the Touch just like the iPhone alarm clock, it just doesn't have as many options for the sound that you wake up to. The internal speaker also sucks so I put mine in my speaker dock in the bedroom.

25. knelto macrumors regular

That's one of the things I miss about my iPhone is the alarm. I'm stuck using this piece GoPhone and the alarm blows. I'll be happy once I'm able to use "Harp" as my alarm again. I tried to replicate the "Harp" alarm using my GoPhone monotone ringer composer but it's just not the same...