Do You Use Your Optical Drive in Your MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mox123, May 9, 2011.

?

Poll closed May 8, 2012.
  1. Yes

136 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. No

127 vote(s)
    48.3%
  1. mox123 macrumors 6502

Starting the official poll now on the subject, so there's no need for endless rehash of the same topic over and over again :)

2. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

How else could you update the firmware on your SSD? I tried using an external USB optical and it doesn't work.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

lol is this a joke?

You talk about rehashing without respecting the fact that this is a dead horse, well beaten.

4. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

5. mox123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm. I read in the other threads how people argue back and forth in this forum about the need for optical drive. So I thought if everyone took this poll, we'd have the final number tally for forum members. Hence the end of discussion. :p

6. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

I do not use my optical more than a few times a year. Most of the apps I use I have downloaded (MAMP, Komodo edit etc). I get my movies from netflix and hulu.
    It does not, however, follow that we all want "Airbooks" with no ethernet and only one USB.

7. skiltrip macrumors 68030

8. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Where is the vote for:
    Rip the useless sucker out!
    ?

9. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

10. Just "Vinnie" macrumors member

So how does this "final number" effect whether the OD stays or goes?

11. sandylp macrumors regular

sandylp

Yes, I do. Since the library's downloadable audio books are so sparse, I have to borrow the cds and copy them into iTunes and then add them to my iPod. I've found that it is easier and quicker to borrow the cds than to wait for the audio files from the library. I believe that the audio files will eventually be more available and abundant and. the optical drive will eventually become obsolete, but that time as not yet come. Therefore, I use my optical drive every week to convert books on cd into iTunes so I can then add them to my iPod and listen at work and in my car.

12. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

I do use it quite alot. Mostly to burn dvd's. I have a big collection and I like having the physical DVD as opposed go digital copies. Also I would need a couple external hard drives if I wanted to store all my movies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. mac00l macrumors 6502

External HDD and DVD-R cost almost the same per GB. Alternatively, with external HDDs paired with a Media Player, you could simply browse all your movies from your couch. Without the hassle of searching into towers and towers of DVDs.

Now into the topic, I don't use my drive at all. I would lovely swap it for more battery juice, or a dedicated GPU in 13", or both lol

14. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

No have dual SSDs in RAID. I like my set up better than an ODD :)
    I've plugged an external one in a couple times for installing things..but other then that nothing..haven't used it for more than 10-20 minutes.
    I would rather have an extra couples hours of battery instead of my set up though.

15. Chazn macrumors regular

16. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Your "official poll is very limiting", therefore I am unable to vote.

In my case the answer is very rarely.

I also use a VAIO, at just under three pounds, without an optical drive, its ideal for me.

When I do have the need my external drive serves me well. The rest of the time, I'm thrilled that there isn't one on the computer.

The same goes for my new 13" MBA.

17. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

No, I took it out and replaced it with an optibay. That's the main reason why I want Apple to keep the SuperDrive, so that I can take it out and have another bay to put a SSD.

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yes. I'd use it even more if there was a Blu-ray option.

19. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

What if you want to watch them on your TV?

20. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Nope, haven't used it once on my new mac... only reason I've used it in the last 4 years was when I upgraded a previous mac to Snow Leopard... don't think I'll ever use it again, but that's just me.

21. mac00l macrumors 6502

That's exactly what they are meant for!!!

Just like THIS one.

22. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

ripped my CD collection for iTunes and great for ripping prev. viewed DVDs from Blockbuster

23. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Actually, I've found I use my optical drive more in my Mac Mini, and have not used my MacBook Pro's optical drive in quite some time.
    However, after installing an Optibay in my MacBook Pro 15" specifically for bootcamp, I realized that I needed the optical drive to install windows.
    D'oh moment indeed.

24. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

I have a USB dedicated to having Disk Images burnt to it. Funny thing is first thing i do when i get a disk game etc is to make it into a disk image.

25. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

Never used the thing coz its so damn slow. Bought a full sized external dvd drive much faster and more reliable, replaced my internal dvd drive with an owc data doubler.