Do you usually leave your MBP plugged in even after it's fully charged?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trek1500, Jul 24, 2008.

1. trek1500 macrumors member

trek1500

Dumb question..but I was wondering if it's ok to leave your MBP plugged in all the time...even when it's fully charged....

2. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

The idea is to calibrate it once or twice a month, which involves letting it run down to 0% into sleep mode, then charging up to 100%.

You should let the battery get some use, though.

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I keep mine plugged in just about all the time, and run it off the battery once in a while. Battery technology has changed quite a bit, so after 20 months, my battery shows only 64 cycles, and 100% health.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It is a good idea to leave it plugged in, except when you can't. Otherwise you are just wasting battery cycles. If you a going to leave it plugged in for several days, you should remove the battery, just so as to not cause problems of false cycles.

TEG

5. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Any concerns for storing the battery outside of the computer, in the sense that it isn't charging?

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i say dont bother taking the battery out as its too much of a hastle and undercloks your CPU.

7. iphonematt Guest

Don't take your battery out! First, it slows your processor down to 1Ghz, and second, if you accidentally knock the MagSafe cord out, it will do a hard shut down of the system which can result in data loss and even damage the hard drive. Use the battery occasionally, but in general if your computer can be plugged in, plug it in.

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Why in the name of holy hell would removing the battery reduce the processor speed? Sounds like you just have horrible Energy Settings set.

TEG

9. yudilks macrumors regular

It's in the name of holy Apple...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305336

This occurs automatically no matter how you change your energy settings..

10. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

theres no processor settings in Energy Saver. thats only on PPC Macs.

11. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Removing the battery also introduces the possibility of a shutdown from accidently disconnecting the power cord.

I think I will leave mine in...

12. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Second that. I leave my MBP unplugged only overnight. I've MBP over year and my battery shows 97% Health, 25 cycles and 5324 mAh (brand new showed 5510) mAh.

13. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

I alway leave it plugged in unless I'm somewhere where I can plug it in.

14. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I leave mine plugged in most of the time. Except when I'm going to be away for a while because the square part (sorry, I really don't know the name of it) gets really hot and I'm terrified that it might burn down my house :eek: Better safe then sorry right?

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I leave mine plugged in when possible.

I am on the road a bit, so when I switch to battery power I usually just let it run down, then plug in the charger if there is time to recharge to 100% Otherwise, I plug in whenever possible.

16. adversecamber macrumors regular

It's worth noting though that not using your battery won't really increase its life. Lithium Ion batteries lose charge level dependent on their age, not [just] the number of charge cycles its had.

Also, the higher the temp it's stored at, the faster it deteriorates. Perhaps you should take the notebook off your lap and pop it on a table!

17. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Well I don't have a MBP, but I do have a iBook and wincrap notebook, and I never unplug them unless I don't have a AC plug available, or i just don't feel like messing up the nice courd layout behind my desk:D

Don

18. cromwell64 macrumors regular

they lose charge level based on age and charge cycles, so avoiding charging when you don't need to will still help your batteries lifespan.

19. adversecamber macrumors regular

I meant to type "not JUST the number of charge cycles". Thanks for pointing that out.

20. doctoree macrumors 6502

Some time ago when I bought my MBP I red that for these kind of batteries it's better to be active ( to waste cycles) than to be not active. So in theory you should always unplug, wait til its almost empty, plug it in, wait til its full, unplug, wait til empty...
    This sounds wierd but I think I red it on apple.com somewhere.
    I must admitt though that I'm too lazy to do this all the time.

21. adversecamber macrumors regular

That's for Ni-Cad batteries which have a 'memory effect'.

Li-Ion are very different and, in fact, completely discharging a Li-Ion battery can damage it - each Li-Ion battery has various electronic shenanigans to ensure it doesn't discharge beyond a certain point, overheat etc.

Running the battery all the way down, waiting for the Mac to power off, leaving it to rest a few hours and then fully recharging it calibrates the Mac and battery making the percentage/time readout more accurate.

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

These days, generally I just use my laptop as needed. When the time comes, I just get a new battery. More convenient for me this way.

23. 514Mac macrumors newbie

I just bought my first MacBook Pro almost 2 months ago and have already adapted pretty well to the OS X environment and the whole Apple world.

Reading this thread about battery cycles is making me wonder if I've been doing something wrong with mine.

As I mentioned, I've had the MBP just under 2 months now and my Cycle count is at 83. After seeing that SpookyLars is at 25 cycles after over a year, I'm a little concerned I've overworn my battery.

Is this cycle count normal or have I been killing it?

24. Twenty5 macrumors regular

My MacBook Pro is approx. 1 and a half month old and im still on my 4th cycle. I keep mine plugged in all the time but unplug it when i go to sleep, I dont want to overcharge it.

[​IMG]

25. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I leave it plugged in and pay almost zero attention to battery health. Once in a blue moon I let the battery drain and recharge. I've been doing this for a few years with no ill effects. Ignorance is bliss - and, apparently, harmless under certain circumstances.