Do You Visit the Dentist As Often As You Should?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CalBoy, Nov 30, 2008.

?

Do you visit the dentist like you should?

1. Yes, I see the dentist every 6 months

35 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. No, I don't see the dentist regularly/as often as I should

42 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I had a really odd conversation with someone yesterday, and they told me they don't visit the dentist very often. I was surprised by this since I do the whole twice/year bit and all.

So what about you? Do you visit the dentist every six months? If not, why?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No. I have no real reason or excuse. It's a good habit I just don't have I guess :eek:

3. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I used to but not so much any more.

I brush/floss everynight and my teeth are white and straight. I might go for a cleaning soon tho...

4. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

Yep - Every six months...it's covered by my parent's insurance so I have no reason not to.

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I go every six months, despite being British. I can't understand a word my dentist says though, as he has a very heavy Swedish accent and wears a little surgical mask which muffles his voice. Either my teeth are fine or my entire lower jaw needs removing, I'm not sure what he said last time I went...

6. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Same + my sister is a dentist

7. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

Do you guys have a "1-800 Dentist" type service?

That might make it easy for you to find a good one (and get into the habit).

8. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I no longer go to the dentist for several reasons. The first being that I have no dental insurance, and the second being that the last time I did go my entire mouth broke out in canker sores. I ended up having to go to the doctor and getting some antibiotics to cure them and I was so disgusted with the whole ordeal I have quit going to the dentist for the time being. I never really understood how it's supposed to be good for you to have your teeth scraped with a sharp metal object twice a year anyway.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

10. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I do the every six month cleaning thing. It's free, so why not? But my dentist is trying to get me to have three baby teeth removed and implants installed. At 4K per tooth, I've been blowing it off. Especially now - there are much better ways to spend (or save) 12 grand.

11. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Just went for the first time in eight years. Still traumatized from young years and lack of novocaine while they were doing real work.

12. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I used to but not anymore. I had the dentist from hell who stabbed me with a needle and made my eye hurt (weird, I know) then she told me to suck it up when I told her it hurt.. and I'm pretty good with pain. Now I'm just terrified to go. Although they did get rid of her so I shouldn't be anymore, still I'm afraid I'll twitch or something and get stabbed again... :eek:

13. hana macrumors regular

Yes.... now every six months for sure!

I do have dental insurance which allows for that plus a certain dollar amount of stuff.

Some folks in the states don't have dental insurance. Or some folks, even if they have benefits, have cafeteria plans where they employers gives an employee $x to pick out what health benefits the employee has for the year....meaning for some that's vision one year, and dental the next.

Don't skimp on dental..... later on in life you'll be faced with more frequent cleanings, required (not optional) fillings, root canals and such that will cost you an ipod or even a fully loaded MacBook Pro. If you don't have a good dental experience, ask your co-workers and friends for a good referral. Floss and brush regularly!

14. Queso macrumors G4

Yeah. I actually go every three months, alternating checkups and hygiene appointments. Not sure if I need so much, but a few years back I fell out with my then dentist and stopped going. Unfortunately in that time I broke an old filling but was too stubborn or busy to get it sorted and as a result ended up having my first (and hopefully last) root canal. So I'm a bit over-cautious about it all these days.

15. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

^^^Why I'm back going back. Broke a filling about two years ago then recently cracked the tooth eating some spicy oriental mix. Long story short NEEDED an extraction in a big way less than two months ago.

Some people will only learn the hard way...:rolleyes::apple::rolleyes::apple::rolleyes:

16. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Dental check ups are free (government pays for everyone) where I live, so there really is no excuse if you are signed up with a dentist not to go.

17. Queso macrumors G4

Yep. That's £800 I'm never getting back and that's not even counting that the crown won't last forever :eek:

18. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Nope I do not go every 6 months. I am very thorough with brushing flossing and rinsing with listerine.

The last time I went was 2 years ago for a cleaning. At that appointment it had been 6 years since my previous cleaning. However due to my cleaning habits the hygenists told me that I had the same amount of plaque build up as a normal person would have after three months.

So it just is not worth the time or money if there is nothing for them to clean.

19. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Six months for a cleaning; extra if a tooth needs its filling redone -- or worse.

20. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I haven't been to the dentist in about 2.5/3 years. I didn't vote because No, I don't visit the dentist, but it's fine for me and is often enough as it is.

My oral hygiene is exceptional and my teeth are in great shape. I had braces from 13-18, and from 18-26 (my current age) I still wear my hawleys. I take great care of my teeth: Brush, floss, etc etc. I also stay away from lots of pop and sugary stuff..

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

After a misspent youth (dentist was in his 90's, seriously) I let things go.

Several lost teeth later I now have a good guy, and I go every 9 months.

No dental care here, unless private, but he gives me a 10% discount, well, I won't say why, he just does.

22. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Yes, because its free :D

When I hit 19 I'll have to pay, so I'll go once every 20 years or so.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't.

I did up until the age of 24, but after I left the country.....I pretty much stopped right away. :p

I guess if my mum made the appointment for me, I'd go.

24. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I go a couple of times a year. My dentist is awesome. He is big into music and we take it in turns to bring an album to play during my appt. Last time we played Neil Young while I got a crown. Twas awesome. Neil's sweet voice eases the pain.

25. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

:eek: you still live with your folks?! :eek: