Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I wake my iPhone with

• the sleep/wake button

Votes: 25 16.9%
  • the home button

Votes: 80 54.1%
  • both buttons

Votes: 43 29.1%

• Total voters

hierobryan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
earth/jupiter
Vote!

Please explain why you wake your iPhone the way you do. I'm just curious. I always use the sleep/wake button, never the home button, because I've seen stories where the home button becomes unresponsive, so I don't want to wear it out. I've also seen a case where the home button would stop working because there was a build up of dust/crud under it.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Voted home button because it's easier to do with one hand especially for right-handed people. If you go for the sleep/wake button you have to change your grip.

Etnies419

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
Both. It usually depends on how I'm holding it. If my thumb is by the home button, I'll use that. If my pointer finger is by the sleep/wake button, I'll use that.

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
UK
I always wake it with the home button and send it to sleep with the sleep/wake button.

This is becuase when i grab my iPhone out my pocket my thump is always covering the home button, therefore if i press it when pulling it out my screen will be on when its out on my pocket!

malachiman

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2008
New Zealand
usually sleep/wake but thats because it's more convenient as I keep my phone in my left pocket but am right handed and so as I change hands I use my left index finger to press sleep/wake. Seldom do I use home.

TheZimm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
usually sleep/wake but thats because it's more convenient as I keep my phone in my left pocket but am right handed and so as I change hands I use my left index finger to press sleep/wake. Seldom do I use home.

Now see I put my phone in my right pocket, and whenever I put it away I put it top down (home button up) so whenever I take it out I directly put my thumb on the home button, so it's the quickest way to turn it on.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Wow. I'm surprised that most of you use the home button. How odd.

If you're doing the unlocking one-handed, there is no way you can do it more conveniently with the sleep/wake button.

Using the home button, you're already gripping the phone properly to slide. Using the sleep/wake with either hand you have to change your grip before sliding to unlock.

both.

There are 3 options.

If i get my iphone out of my pocket to unlock it and do something on the phone. I will use the home button 99% of the time. It's simply the most convenient place to have your finger to then unlock the phone.

If I get my iphone out of my pocket to check the time, or see if I've missed any calls or texts, I use the wake/sleep button 99% of the time. This is because after I've seen the time I like to put the phone back to sleep in an attempt to preserve battery life.

If the iphone is sitting on a table/desk or whatever, it really depends on positioning and how i grab it, and where my fingers are, and variables such as these. So in this case I do both.

entity

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
Detroit, MI
If I'm pulling the phone out of my pocket, than my finger is usually rest on the sleep button. If I'm already hold it say off a desk, than it is the home key =].

mynameisrichard

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
Santa Ana, Orange County, CA
both.

There are 3 options.

If i get my iphone out of my pocket to unlock it and do something on the phone. I will use the home button 99% of the time. It's simply the most convenient place to have your finger to then unlock the phone.

If I get my iphone out of my pocket to check the time, or see if I've missed any calls or texts, I use the wake/sleep button 99% of the time. This is because after I've seen the time I like to put the phone back to sleep in an attempt to preserve battery life.

If the iphone is sitting on a table/desk or whatever, it really depends on positioning and how i grab it, and where my fingers are, and variables such as these. So in this case I do both.

I just thought about it. That's exactly how I do it too... but then again, I'm unlocking my phone probably 95% of the time, so more than not I'm using the home button.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Whatever is closest pretty much. If its in my pocket with lock button up ill use that, if the home button is up ill use that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.