Do you want a 3D iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Prodo123, Jul 2, 2011.

?

Do you want 3D on your iPhone?

1. Yes, 3D is a must

10 vote(s)
    6.8%
  2. No, 3D is a gimmick

116 vote(s)
    78.9%
  3. I don't care

21 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

3D is a gimmick. Admit it. It just wastes battery for something you won't truly appreciate.
    But then again, some people insist 3D is a must.
    Obviously I don't like 3D, but how about you?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't see the need for it
    If it is just there cause it can be... then no
    But if it actually does something for me, then yes

I don't care for 3D movies either for the most part

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

No no no! Seriously have u played with a 3ds?

4. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I did for 5 seconds then I gagged.

5. r2fa3l macrumors regular

no. 3d is tacky and overrated.
    no way Steve is adding 3D to his iPhone.
    It's also ridiculous on a mobile phone

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I echo what MacDawg says. I don't have any interest in 3D at home on my TV unless they figure out a way to make it work good and without glasses - which I doubt will ever happen.

3D phone.... less interested in that as well.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't think 3D is a useless gimmick.
    I think its unnecessary on a smartphone.

8. singlestick macrumors regular

I don't see the point, and I certainly do not see that 3D is a must. However:

While 3D movies on the big screen are a mixed bag, I wonder if some 3D video might actually render well on the smaller screen of an iPhone or tablet.

And someone might come up with a compelling 3D game. If 3D takes off, I think it might be from this direction, not movies, etc.

9. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I think all devices will have 3D capability at some point, so I voted yes, even though I don't really care.

However, I love my 3D tv :)

10. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

No i'm not a fan of 3D, i'd prefer a bigger screen.

11. thomasanderson macrumors member

I think 3d may be gimmicky now, but so was HD back in the day, when the tv sets cost thousands of dollars. Say what you want but 3d is the natural evolution of display, and then there will be holographic images. I remember when it was cool to have a color display on your cell phone, now the displays move and no one is calling that gimmicky. I think if the iphone 4 was announced with 3d before the Evo, everyone here would be singing its praises. Theres nothing gimmicky about enhancing technology if you can. Its called advancement. Lets give someone other than Apple credit for taking a leap forward this millennia guys.

12. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

I don't like to admit it, but I agree. I don't love or NEED 3D, just like I never really needed HD - I still barely see the difference (TV, that is, not retina displays. Those are cool). But that's where it's going from here and eventually it's just going to be standard. Besides - if someone is going to do something really cool with it, leave it to Apple.

I don't see it coming, however until iPhone 6 or 7.

13. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I never thought HD was gimmicky. I thought watching a 640x480 video on a 1280x1024 screen was an eyesore and unbearable. Also, big screen = less eye strain.
    Holographic images, I will buy. That's not a gimmick. Holographic images are truly 3D, because it actually has 3 dimensions to it. A 3D screen is a gimmick, because all it does is give the allusion of the 3rd dimension, while it's actually 2D. I hate everything about 3D, because once you realize it's all tricks, you don't see the allusion anymore, but you still have to pay the 3D price.

3D existed decades ago, in black and white movies. It was a gimmick back then, too, with those red-and-green glasses making you look weird. Now not only is it a gimmick, it still makes you look goofy (polarized 3D glasses) and if you don't want glasses, it's a health hazard (3DS).

Also, the reason color displays were not gimmicks is because everyone can see color, and made the experience a million times better. Some people can't see the 3D effect on movies and screens, like Johnny Depp. That's why it's a gimmick; it's nothing evolutionary, you can't do anything with the allusion of depth, and it's not guaranteed to work. All it is is a cash cow for the display industry, and an extra 20% on the price tag.

14. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I want a 3D iPhone when 3D moves from gimmick to a viable way to view video. The glasses have to go, and the screens need to look clearly 3D no matter the distance or angle. 3D is in it's infancy right now, as the technology progresses, then yes. :D If the 3DS is any indication of where the technology is now, then keep it far away from my phone. However, if you want to throw a 3D camera on there, I could go with that.

15. Che Castro macrumors 603

16. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I didn't vote.

It's not a must. It is a gimmick, but that doesn't mean I don't want it. It would be quite cool as long as you could turn it off.

17. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Only time I'll ever say hell no to a feature is probably now give or take. Seriously wtf is this 3D crap?!! I've seen it and it looks cool but the companies try and market it likes it as big of a step as Tube TV's to like LCD's! (LED is better anyways :D :D). No but I will take even more rediculously packed pixel density into the already awesome iPhone "Retina display" feature. 1920x1280 would be a pretty epic display....Lol **** that blows the doors off my current MacBook Pro!

18. luked14 macrumors 6502

Do you realize that any higher resolution on the iPhone wouldn't be noticeable? Hence the term "retina display."

19. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

You could choose "I don't care" since you don't really care if it's there or not as long as you can turn it off.

20. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I don't like the idea of 3D; I have a feeling it would make me nauseous. I think phones should simply be 2D unless they can find a way to make it useful and not tacky or annoying on the eyes.

21. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

That would be.......

HORRIBLE

22. techluvr macrumors regular

Exact same reaction here. 10 seconds and I had to sit down and rub my eyes so I didn't vomit. I don't want a 3D iPhone, period.

23. jeans94621 macrumors regular

jeans94621

I was all excited about getting 3d on the iphone and for half a second thought about switching to the Evo 3d but then I played with my niece's 3ds and I found out that I don't like 3d it made me dizzy and hurt my eyes. So no I don't want it on my phone.

24. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

25. Lycanthroat macrumors regular

No. It's the big new buzzword in the game industry at the moment, but will 3D enhance the story of Catherine? Or the next Final Fantasy?

NOPE.

On a smartphone - never mind a powerful games console - it would suck battery life like no tomorrow and you'd have to play games AT. EXACTLY. THE. RIGHT. ANGLE.