Do you want a higher capacity iPod Classic?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Apple..., Jan 29, 2011.

?

Would you buy?

1. Yes

62 vote(s)
    72.9%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. iPod Classic is dead...

10 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Maybe this has already been posted, but I didn't see anything. Toshiba now has 220GB 1.8" hard drives coming out, which could be used in a silent update to the aging iPod Classic (as reported by MacRumors). Would you buy one? :apple:

2. hcho3 macrumors 68030

No. I don't listen 10000 songs on the go. No.

iPod Classic is dead and apple should move on to something else like adding super retina display on my iphone.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Probably, my 160GB classic is nearly full so the extra storage would be useful.

4. farmermac macrumors 6502a

I would love a huge iPod. The current classic has such a terrible interface with coverflow that I had to return mine. I apple would let you turn off coverflow and split screen with covers flashing by I'd buy another especially if it had a bigger drive.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

6. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

I'd rather stream my music.

P.S. How do you manage 1TB of music? My collection pales in comparison. :eek:

7. iGary Guest

iGary

8. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

Really? Seems it's still available on Apple's site. :D

9. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Say it ain't so!

Personally I love the iPod classic design, and for music-only uses prefer it to the iOS interface, I just find it easier to use, especially for LARGE volumes of music.

I still own a 80gb iPod classic and use it every day. I'd like a larger capacity one but I'm not sure if I'll ever actually buy one since it isn't really necessary and there's always other things I'd rather spend the money on (unless my current one breaks, in which case I'd buy a newer, higher capacity one without even considering any other type of iPod).

10. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

I wonder, maybe the iPod Classic will be worth something someday? Hmm. ;)

11. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

well its not just about songs but you can use it as an external hard drive too, no?
    so you get 1machine for mp3, videos (not that handy though) AND a lot of storage.

but can you use the classic as a hard drive or is it sync-only like the touch and iphone? that must soon change, seriously -.- we have so many gigabytes going wasted because of apple's restrictions...

12. Rawkfist macrumors regular

Rawkfist

Day one

I'll buy a 220gb Classic the day it hits the street. I use my 120 daily for music. A 220 still won't hold all of my music but it will hold everything I might want to hear on any given day. I like the "no look" function of the click wheel. Mine spends 90% of it's time in the glove compartment of my car anyway. When I do dock it or use earphones I really like the playlist options. Right now a Touch just doesn't fit my needs for size or function.

13. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

The Classic i would like in a 220GB form, because it's the kind of "jukebox" iPod that you can keep in your glovebox, plugged into a stereo at home, or anywhere, and just have a constant stream of music.
    I get tired of the music on my 32GB iPhone, but never on my 120GB classic.
    Although, I have 700MB free, so it would be nice to get a higher capacity model.

14. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I have songs on my iPhone--maybe 5GB or so but never listen to them much--I listen to Pandora or Rhapsody 90 percent of the time--so the iPod classic is not for me--even with a terabyte. :D

15. No ice please macrumors 6502

16. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Give it wifi / airplay connection and definitely. ipod touch can't remotely store all the media I want to stream and I don't like having to have a computer awake all the time to get media onto apple tv. If apple tv could see airport extreme network drives it wouldn't matter, but it can't, so a wifi high capacity ipod is the next best option.

17. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

true, the ipod classic with wifi , or even better minidisplayport (we know apple doesnt like directly hdmi cables), would be awsome.
    a 220gb music/video player that can stream to apple tv and/or connect to a tv to play movies etc! awsome!

18. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Excellent idea. I'd love to stream my music when I drive to and from work. Nothing better in the world than giving lots of money to the phone company.

So why on earth did you start this thread when you are not interested in the iPod Classic in the first place? Is it a threat to your world view or what?

19. Apple..., Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011

Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

No, but I like making polls/ seeing what people want/ would they buy this or that. It's interesting to me (the results and so-forth). That's all. And no (in case you were wondering), I don't work for Apple (at least not yet :D).

20. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Sure.. but I did'nt wait I bought a 160gb one over the weekend. I have an Kenwood BT900 Media Reciever in my Car and I wanted a high capacity unit and the touches max out at 64, I did'nt want to wait to see if Apple will use the new Toshiba. If they do I'll pick up the larger capacity down the road

21. elan123 macrumors 6502

Thats what im talkin about!

22. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

You're not a media content hog are you? :D

23. hcho3 macrumors 68030

The future is streaming and SSD. I would say screw HDD. They are way more risky to carry around .

I rather have retina display on iPod classic and all of the portable apple devices. classic should remain Classic.

24. jimmyhii macrumors member

YES - without a doubt :D could never keep much high-bitrate music on my ipod. then again i don't really NEED to (but its troublesome converting between bitrates!)

25. RenoG macrumors 65816

Nah, the 160 is more than I need. I don't think they will do much more with the ipod line as those days are over, apple moved on to other things. If they did do a high capacity ipod they would probably sell less than 5% of them. Folks just don't really buy them anymore.