Do You Wants To Replace Your House Keys With Your iPhone 5

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
Thats amazing :D

I will check it out. wonder how much it goes for.

149 bucks.. Well - Thats okay I Guess.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I'm all for automation and hate keys but I'll wait till this method is tried and tested as being secure.
Same here....I have no intention of trusting the key and entry capabilities of my home to the cloud, or to any third party....Yet.

I also wonder about the insurance implications of using this system. As things stand I reckon your household provider isn't going to be big on the idea. either.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I don't see the point.
At least my house key will still work even if my iPhone is dead. Additionally, I'm not sure that I trust the bluetooth to connect and unlock before I get to the door. Plus, turning the key takes 2 seconds?

I'll keep my 150 and buy an SSD or something.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I don't see the point.
At least my house key will still work even if my iPhone is dead. Additionally, I'm not sure that I trust the bluetooth to connect and unlock before I get to the door. Plus, turning the key takes 2 seconds?

I'll keep my 150 and buy an SSD or something.
These sorts of locks usually have a good old fashioned key as a backup.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Most doors are easily breached no matter what lock it has on it. You house will be no safer. The difference is that you will not have keys to loose, just a phone:rolleyes:

jimmirehman

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
I preordered mine last night!

the fact of the matter is, is that lock companies have had no need to produce anything new. Our cars have had keyless entry for years, and just recently we started seeing proximity keys for vehicles, yet for some reason it never dawned on lock companies to bring that same tech to door locks elsewhere. this forces innovation in an arena where there is none. I applaud that.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I preordered mine last night!

the fact of the matter is, is that lock companies have had no need to produce anything new. Our cars have had keyless entry for years, and just recently we started seeing proximity keys for vehicles, yet for some reason it never dawned on lock companies to bring that same tech to door locks elsewhere. this forces innovation in an arena where there is none. I applaud that.

One could also argue that it forces innovation in an arena that needs none.

Advancements in other otherwise stagnant fields I appreciate (like the Nest thermostat), but this doesn't do much for me, personally. To each his own.

Plus, the dudes in the video really creep me out.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
Some higher end cars already use RFID's instead of keys. I guess it kind of got its start there. Just a key fob in your pocket. If you have it, your door opens and the ignition button works. Don't see many problems with this as long as its secure. Just think - won't ever have to fumble groceries to unlock your door ever again :)

Gage

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Meh. I still have to carry my car keys (plus the other 6 keys that I forgot what they go to but afraid to toss), so one house key doesn't bother me.

iregret

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2012
I think it's neat that it alerts you when someone knocks, but I'm surprised you can't teach it a secret knock to unlock the door. I've seen cars that do this.

NemesisR6

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
Anybody else automatically read the title of this thread in the voice of Toki Wartooth from Metalocalypse?

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Don't forget to add the cost of batteries to this device. And what if the batteries die in the device, or become too weak to turn the lock?

iregret

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2012
Don't forget to add the cost of batteries to this device. And what if the batteries die in the device, or become too weak to turn the lock?
The batteries last about a year, and it warns you when they are low. Did you watch the video?

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
The batteries last about a year, and it warns you when they are low. Did you watch the video?
Yea I did. The batteries could become too weak to turn the lock while you are away. Probably a strong spring inside that should be able to turn lock with the weakest of batteries.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
I'll tell you one thing- I'd GLADLY replace my car keys with my iPhone... I'm ALWAYS losing those and can (almost!) always find my phone!:)

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Wouldn't an iPhone under your front door mat make a noticeable bulge?

Regards,
Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.