Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Z8beema

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Mass.
Hi Everyone,

I've had a apple watch series 2 since day 1 but i just bought a series 1 for working out. Does anyone wash their series 1 after a workout? i sweat a lot and don't want it to get nasty so is it ok to wash? i mean i know its ipx7 certified so it should be fine but i'm just nervous i guess. my biggest concern is sweat gets in the speaker and starts to build up with dirt and debris and salt?

Update: After working out, washing my hands and attempting to shower, the speaker decided to get super muffled tot he point where you could hardly hear anything. I sent my watch out to apple with applecare, they were not able to replicate the issue and are sending my watch back without being fixed. Not happy. I plan on getting in touch with apple again and explaining the same thing until it is resolved. Hopefully i can get the speaker replaced or the watch itself replaced. Has this happened to anyone else where the speaker can not be heard for hours after getting wet?

Last edited:

charks

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2010
I just usually give mine a quick rinse after a workout. I'll occasionally forget and end up showering with it on. The only issue I've had it having to do the water eject thingy (whatever it's called) several times after a shower.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
To paraphrase a line from George C. Scott's "Patton" film:

"I sure do wash my Apple Watch! Every godd*mned day!"

Mine's not even a Series 2; it's a first-generation AW. I rinse it off at the beginning of my shower and set it aside, then I wipe it dry with my towel. After a workout, certainly, but I do it pretty much every other day I wear it, too.

Reactions: sean000

Z8beema

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Mass.
To paraphrase a line from George C. Scott's "Patton" film:

"I sure do wash my Apple Watch! Every godd*mned day!"

Mine's not even a Series 2; it's a first-generation AW. I rinse it off at the beginning of my shower and set it aside, then I wipe it dry with my towel. After a workout, certainly, but I do it pretty much every other day I wear it, too.

No Issues at all? How long have you been doing this?

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
No Issues at all? How long have you been doing this?
No issues yet.

How long? Let's see, today's Thursday, so... since August 2015, I'd say.

Before the AW officially became available for sale, there was an anecdote about Tim Cook speaking to employees at an Apple Store and telling them that he showers with his AW regularly.

I like to keep my regular watches clean, and I wouldn't want to wear one that couldn't tolerate an easy rinse with water. I tried using a 6th gen iPod Nano as a wristwatch, but as soon as I went to wash my hands in the restroom, I realized that since it wasn't waterproof at all, wearing it regularly would just be asking for trouble. I didn't wear the Nano on my wrist again after that.

I think Apple learned from the Nano and addressed waterproof-ness when they went about designing the AW. When Cook revealed -- even unofficially -- that he frequently washed his own (if anyone's going to beta test a product, it had better be the CEO, right?), I took it as an endorsement of the AW's ruggedness.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
YES. Probably every other day with soap and water. Been doing that close to 2 yrs now on my Series 0.

Last edited:

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
No, I never wash my AW2. Not really needed since I don't take it off before showering after my runs.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
I use a cloth,and the same screen cleaning spray I use for my other devices,I also lubed my Nike sport band with a little silicone.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I've had a apple watch series 2 since day 1 but i just bought a series 1 for working out. Does anyone wash their series 1 after a workout? i sweat a lot and don't want it to get nasty so is it ok to wash? i mean i know its ipx7 certified so it should be fine but i'm just nervous i guess. my biggest concern is sweat gets in the speaker and starts to build up with dirt and debris and salt?

Naturally, the watch is going to get dirty from physical fitness or whatever else it may encounter. The most important part, is this having consistency in cleaning it. I just wouldn't allow it to go to long without rinsing it or inspecting it to make sure it looks like it's clean. Rinse it off and dry it with a microfiber cloth.

petsk

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Gen 1, water and soap 2-3 times per week. I've had my current watch a few months.

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
This subject comes up continually on this forum in one way or another. Regardless of what people actually do, the Apple Watch User Guide cautions that the watch should not be brought into contact with "perfume, soap, solvents, detergent, acids or acidic foods, soapy water, insect repellent, lotions, sunscreen, oil, or hair dye."

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
This subject comes up continually on this forum in one way or another. Regardless of what people actually do, the Apple Watch User Guide cautions that the watch should not be brought into contact with "perfume, soap, solvents, detergent, acids or acidic foods, soapy water, insect repellent, lotions, sunscreen, oil, or hair dye."
Keeping this in mind --

I don't use perfume, I don't cover the watch in soapy suds, I doubt we have any solvents in the house, I don't wash it in detergent, I don't get lemon juice on it, I cover it with my hand if I put on bug spray or sunscreen, I don't rub it in oil (whether vegetable or mineral), and I don't dye my hair.

A lot of these things are pretty harsh anyway, and such a warning applies to most watches, too.

But you know how dumb people can be. If Apple said you can clean it with common cleaning materials, some yahoo is going to dunk it in Goo-Gone and rub it with steel wool.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
here i
Hi Everyone,

here's what Apple says...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204522

Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Most already understand this. However, Apple lists this user information as a precautionary and more of a disclaimer to prevent any mishaps or those who inadvertently do subject the Watch to liquids/soaps that could potentially degrade the seals in the Watch. In most cases, the Watch could easily survive being used with hand soap, but rinsing thoroughly is obviously recommended after doing so.

Reactions: ZebraDude

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I shower with my S0 almost every single day. Days that I don't shower with it, I notice the heart rate meter isn't as accurate. Cleaning off the sensor daily seems to work for me.

Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I shower with my S0 almost every single day. Days that I don't shower with it, I notice the heart rate meter isn't as accurate. Cleaning off the sensor daily seems to work for me.

I wipe off the sensor before each charge, but I just tend to use a damp cloth and occasionally a little iKlear polish if necessary. I think your correct about the heart rate monitor being more accurate when the sensor is clean.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.