Do you wear a watch?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Micky Do, Jul 8, 2016.

?

Do you wear a watch?

1. Nope; don't even own a watch

15 vote(s)
    18.1%
  2. Seldom; own a watch, but don't often use it

7 vote(s)
    8.4%
  3. Always / usually wear a cheap, basic watch

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  4. Always / usually wear a high end traditional watch

21 vote(s)
    25.3%
  5. Always / usually wear a non-Apple smart watch

3 vote(s)
    3.6%
  6. Always / usually wear an WATCH

22 vote(s)
    26.5%
  7. Always / usually wear a moderately priced quartz or mechanical watch

10 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

I don't own a watch. Haven't done so since the waterproof ana-digi model I was so proud of proved to be better at keeping water in than out. I did get it repaired once, at great expense, just out of warranty. That didn't work, so I chucked it and haven't bothered with a watch at all for more than 30 years……. and am known to be on time more often than most of my watch wearing acquaintances.

2. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

I won't waste money on a watch that costs more than $30. And I never have.

My cheapie watches do more than I ever want or need them to do. And I never recharge them, and they always have lasted 10 years or more with their original batteries. Cant ask for more than that. I beat the crap out of them, yet they always look new.

I just toss them when the battery dies. I'd say I get more than my money's worth out of them.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Not since I started carrying a phone with me decades ago.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I've been wearing watches almost constantly since I got my first one as a present for Xmas in 1969.

I can't really vote on your poll though because my watches are neither cheap or high end.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I used to wear a watch religiously, they like @OllyW were neither high or low end. A couple of years ago, I stopped wearing watches altogether as it was getting in the way of my karate. In an odd twist of logic, I'm wearing an apple watch now, particularly because of karate. I help out teaching karate with the kids, and when I do that, I need my watch to pass on notifications from my watch. My full time jobs will page me at times and I need to know it. The apple watches keeps me connected to work :) I still have to take off when I practice karate however

6. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I've seen some teens wearing big watches again. Are they coming back?

7. elf69 macrumors 65816

elf69

Think watches are making a come back yes.

I feel "naked" without mine.

It's on almost 24/7.

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yes, but it's neither a "cheap, basic" watch nor a "high end traditional" one.

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I always wear a watch, but I can't vote, as mine isn't a choice. I wear a Suunto Vector. It has an altimeter, barometer, and thermometer, but isn't a smart watch. Also, it's neither cheap nor expensive at around $200.

[​IMG]

10. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

I run the gamut of watches, cheap, basic, middle ground, high end. I like watches, but I cannot get into the smart watch genre...yet.

11. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

There are clocks all around us. I stopped wearing a watch 25 years ago and am never late for anything.

12. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

Heebeejeebies

I wear a traditional watch. My sister gave me to me when she got married. It's a beautiful watch, but I can't wait to replace it with an apple watch. If only the apple watch would get a redesign.

13. Volusia macrumors regular

Volusia

I wore a watch for over 40 years during my career (and even before that). When I retired, six years ago, I stopped wearing a watch as, typically, I did not have to be anywhere at any specific time, plus, I had my phone which displayed the time.
    A little over a year ago I began wearing a FitBit to monitor my heart rate and activity levels. A little over a month ago I purchased an  Watch and am very happy with it.

14. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'm a watch collector as well as a watchmaker in my spare time, so can't imagine being without a watch.

My main collecting interest is pre-1900 American watches and some later high grade American watches.

My daily wear watch(i.e. I feel naked without it on when I'm going out of the house) is a Rolex ref. 16013 from the early 1980s. This is a Datejust with a two tone 18K/stainless Jubilee band, a gold bezel, and a champaign dial. It was a masters degree graduation gift(used, obviously) from my parents so is special to me for that reason, but is comfortable and for a mechanical watch keeps superb time(~+5s/month).

15. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Same here. I have a nice Skagen watch I wear every day. Not cheap, but not high-end either. But I like it a lot.

16. Tech198, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016

Tech198 macrumors G4

[​IMG] Its strange, when u get your grubby little-mits on a mobile/smart-phone, we see a change of no one wearing watches anymore, since the Time/date is on our phones. That's right, we have to pick it up first... a watch is soo much better if just turn our wrist.

Before my iPhone i went through several watches :
    Casio, calculator watch, divers watch (which doesn't make any sense, because I never even went diving), and those $79 cheap-o ones,,, (i think they were

I like like the design.

17. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

Haven't worn a watch since 2008 when I retired. Still own a few but the batteries are all dead.

18. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I wear a watch to let people know my time is important.:cool:

My daily beater is a $50 Seiko 5.:) When the Missus expects me to dress nice:oops:, I wear my Seiko Ananta. It was an anniversary gift, since no way in hail would a cheapskate like me would drop $5K on a watch.:eek:

The woman understands my love for automatic watches. I find the sweeping second hand on an automatic relaxing.:) The Ananta with its spring drive movement is fluid, unlike the illusion of sweeping of the six ticks a second of the Seiko 5.

19. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

That's one thing I've always liked about Bulova Accutrons(the tuning fork kind). The hand isn't continuous, but with a couple thousand movements a second it's virtually imperceptible. The Elgin WWII "jitterbug" timers at 144,000 bph are also fairly smooth, albeit the sweep hand rotates once every 10 seconds and it is fairly large.

BTW, not to nit pick but a "sweep" second hand refers to any second hand that moves around the perimeter of the dial. This is as opposed to a sub second hand which exists in its own separate dial. "Sweep" doesn't refer to the particular way it moves(i.e. continuously, several times a second, once a second) but just that it "sweeps" the entire outer track of the dial. The late George Daniels refered to the second hand on a typical mechanical watch as a "crawling" hand.

20. daimos macrumors member

If you wear long sleeves or winter jacket , it really is difficult to pull up that sleeve all the time. Picking up the phone from a breast pocket is easier.

21. Micky Do thread starter macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Extra category added which should work for ya'll.

22. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

The poll needs another category: "No, don't wear a watch, & I own several."

I used to like watches because it was the one piece of "jewelry" I would wear. Over time, as Mac keyboards have gotten thinner and I have to rest my wrist on either an aluminum wrist-rest (my MBA, which I hated scratching) or on the flat of my desk, it was getting uncomfortable to wear a watch, as well as just getting in the way.

Added to that, I have a phone, iPad, desktop, a couple of virtual desktops I log into, my MBA, my work laptop...I'm surrounded by gadgets that tell me the time (and all my work gadgets tell me a different time, for some reason...my Mac's are all on Apple time).

So there really wasn't any reason to wear a watch. I'm considering an Apple watch, but I need a compelling case (besides all the ones I'm dreaming up), as, in my life a watch is totally superfluous. Especially a $600 watch, like the one I've been eye-ing.

23. puma1552 macrumors 601

Always have, don't feel put together without it (higher end traditional watch).

To me it looks kind of juvenile for an adult not to wear one?

24. Scepticalscribe, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I used to have a lovely, large, Skagen - they are very good and reliable watches and I gave it to my brother (who wears it always).

I have had a watch since I was a child - my first watch was given to me by my mother when I was ten and recovering in hospital for a week after an operation to remove my appendix.

Since then, I have always worn watches, and find the idea of how time is measured - and the story of how we came to do that - absolutely fascinating.

Actually, I recall spending an afternoon in the British Museum years ago, just in the room which featured the timepieces made by John Harrison. This was about him, and his timepieces (critical in the story of how longitude came to be measured accurately while at sea) - the timepieces were there, in all their gorgeous glory - as that section of the museum was dedicated to the whole story of how time came to be measured more precisely.

To answer the poll, I used to wear watches in the 'neither cheap neither expensive' categories; after the Skagen, I bought a lovely Tissot. Now, I wear a traditional watch that would probably be regarded as 'traditional high end' citing the categories, or terms, that the poll has used.

Therefore, more recently, my work abroad allowed me to afford an Omega that I had been eyeing for around three years while I was still teaching. Thus, I now wear an Omega Deville, which I have had for the past seven years.