Do you wish the iphone had more memory?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThisIsMyName, Jan 11, 2008.

1. ThisIsMyName macrumors regular

ThisIsMyName

Do you wish the iphone had more memory? or is the 8gb 4gb holding up okay? just wondering, becuase i may get one.

2. TimJim macrumors 6502a

It depends on how big your library is, how much media you need to carry around, and if you have another iPod.

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

i have a 4GB, and i'm fine.

was going to get the 8GB, but i got the last phone at my ATT store :)

4. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I have the 8GB but have 4.5GB free. It's more than enough.

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I wish the iPhone was smarter and more flexible with its memory...

... I don't care to store 8GBs combined of music, photos, video, etc. But I'd very much so like to stop seeing that ridiculous note telling me my SMS inbox is full and that I need to delete messages (especially since we can't even delete single messages-- just entire "conversations").

Argh.

Um, stupid memory management aside, no, I have no issues w/ an 8GB iPhone. I've got barely anything on it. :D

6. Surely Guest

Surely

C'mon 16.....

<<<shaking dice hand>>>

/yes, you have to imagine that dice have 8 sides.

7. Aries326 macrumors 6502

I've got the 8GB version and I've got 2+ gigs left and I have alot of music on it already. I tried to make sure that songs that I would even bother to rate 3 star and above are on it.

But when the SDK comes out, I'm sure I'll need more room.

8. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i wish it had more ram. the 8 gb is plenty of storage for me, but i'm sure the iphone would crash less often if it had more memory and, as devilot mentioned, better memory management.

9. noel4r macrumors 6502a

8GB is plenty for me. By the time I go though all the 8GB of storage, my battery would need to be charged anyway....

10. Virtualball macrumors 6502

I would like 16 GB but 8 is fine. Though, PSX ROMs take up a lot of room ;)

But, I would like more RAM in it, it would make everything run a lot smoother :)

11. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

More is always better, but I am fine with my 8GB at the moment, I have plenty of music, a few movies & loads of photos.

There aren't many other phones on the market with that capacity, so I'm not grumbling.

12. RedInAustin macrumors newbie

I'm with you on the memory management - would love to allocate more to Safari.

13. Monk Edsel macrumors regular

I personally would like more. I can live with 8GB, but I find myself removing some media to squeeze in other media more often than I would like. I'm personally astounded with the amount of space photos can eat up, despite their relatively low resolution. I really wish the initial iPhone offerings had been 8GB and 16GB instead of 4 and 8, but, oh well. It's still an awesome product, anyway.

14. Surely Guest

Surely

I guess we'll have to keep wishing and waiting.

I'm still looking forward to getting my iPhone next month. 1.1.3 looks like a great upgrade.

15. Schmoe0013 macrumors regular

Schmoe0013

8g is plenty for me. I mean, it does take a while to listen to 3 days of music if you listen to your ipod casually like i do.

16. myriad360 macrumors newbie

I dunno guys, when I think of my music collection, I think of the entire 30 GB + collection. I don't want to have to be thinking ahead about what music I am going to want to listen to that day... is that sort of like packing your CD's with your walkman? It just seems inconvenient to sync more than needed, and it is awesome to be able to listen to whatever; the next mp3 phone like the iPhone with at leat 16 GB would sell me on it (although the internet and email functions my sell me). But 8 GB... that is nothing!

17. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I wish it did myself, so I went out and bought a second iPhone. Now I can have music and music videos on one, and movies and music on the other. Plenty of space.

18. Monk Edsel macrumors regular

I was the same way with my 20GB iPod... But most of the stuff on it was stuff I never listen to anyway. Having all your music with you is awesome... But I took advantage it very infrequently. I also found that I would spend minutes at a time scrolling through everything, trying to decide what I wanted to hear, only to end up listening to a recent favorite afterall. I find that loading my phone with a mix of new and old favorites (stuff that has really, really stood the test of time for me) was the way to go... That, and a few of my favorite playlists.

19. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

:D

mine is pretty tight, but i'm not complaining.

20. motomullet macrumors member

I have an 8, and have 4.53 gig free. I find the space more than adequate. Half of my used space is video.

21. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

While I have 2 gigs free I will want more memory as soon as the 16 gig phones are released. :)

22. The Phazer macrumors 68030

8 gig seems to be doing me fine so far.

Now, I wish it had a little more operating RAM, as I suspect that might be the cause of a lot of the problems in Safari...

Phazer

23. wizard macrumors 68040

More would be better -- But that is not keeping me from buying.

As the title says more would be better! In my case not so much to store a lot of audio files, as frankly I'm not into that big time, but rather the ability to store a large number of pictures. The ability to keep a large portion of my photo collection with me is significant.

More so I want to be able to turn the Touch or IPhone into a photo back up storage device for a real camera. This is where having a USB port or other method of getting to CF cards is important. That and access to the SDK. It should be fairly easy for somebody to slap together an app that allows one to store pics off his flash cards onto the iPhones local store.

For a photographer this is a very good feature to have as it avoids the need to carry a laptop around or a flash backup device. It is nothing to fill up a huge collection of flash cards in no time flat, shoot raw and 2GB is only 200 photos, that on an old low resolution camera. So you see the need for much more memory on the iPhone. The other issue is getting said photos off the camera, disk mode or other method of access from another PC is a requirement.

What this all comes down to is that Apple needs to finish the OS on these devices and they need to get the SDK out. There are all sorts of uses for this family of devices.

Dave

24. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

8GB is fine...

I just wish I had more memory! :cool:

25. imac abuser macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

I think it should be a full on iPod replacement (at a higher cost of coarse) I find it has enough for a day, or something but I still carry around my 80gb ipod in my bag