Do your kids use the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bjmach, Mar 12, 2012.

1. bjmach macrumors 6502

Im just amazed how easily and quickly my 3 yr old navigates around the iPad. He can find his way around Disney apps like a pro. Daughter is the same way. Wondering how far away we are from iPads being issued out instead of school books. My oldest is a Sophomore in high school and they give them a laptop starting Freshman year that they keep all the way through High School. I think the iPad would be more efficient. Hope I'm around long enough to see what the young society of today has in store for the future with all the technological power they have at their fingertips right now.

2. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Our 18 month old was able to click the home button and swipe to unlock our iPhones by the time she was 14 months old. She loves to swipe around and click icons. She especially loves to swipe between photos. I have a couple of apps for her to play around with on the iPad and she will love it. I'm sure she will also love Garageband.

3. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

My kids use my first generation iPad daily, my 4 year-old is a wiz on it.

4. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

My 10 yo has his own iPad 2. My 8 yo has an iPod Touch, but will use either my wife's or my iPad when we are out and about and we do not need it.

5. DizzyV6P macrumors regular

DizzyV6P

My 3 year old has been using my iPhone 4 and iPad2 since she was 2. She's very good at navigating the interface, going through photos and picking movies to watch as well as closing out screens and picking another movie.
    My 8 year old is an old pro on iOS devices and is constantly in competition with the 3 year old on who gets the bigger screen to watch their movie.

Needless to say, the iPhone 4 is encased in an Ottobox Defender and the iPad2 has Invisible shield all around in addition to being set in the Targus rotating leather case for extra protection.

6. Timechaser macrumors member

My 8 yr old son has used my 32GB 1st generation iPad since I got it in back in 1010 - I just sold it to a family member and ordered a refubished 16GB iPad 2 for him because lately many of his favorite games have been crashing and I dont want him taking over my "New iPad" when it arrives on Friday.

7. Ratty macrumors 6502

Grandkids love Apple

Here you are:

Grand-son (5) on the iPad2 (been using this since launch) and grand-daughter (20 months) on the iPhone4:

[​IMG]

If the photo does not display try:

www.j800.com/photos/apple.jpg

8. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

My two year old nephew loves his mom's iPod touch. He stays glued to it until she takes it away from him. He usually just plays the educational games she downloads, but he can also navigate the standard apps. Pretty neat!

9. NachoGrande, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

My daughter started using my iPad @ 2 now she's 4 and I have to pry it from her daily. She'll be getting my iPad 2 and my wife will get the iPad 1 on Friday.

They get a MacBooks at the science high school in my town.

10. elabela macrumors member

We(the "kids") use my moms when we are visiting, but none of us have our own(I will as of next week!)

My nephew(18 months) can use it perfectly, play games, watch Rio,etc. He loves it.

11. SoonerFan303 macrumors member

iPad is a great teaching aide for kids. My 3 year old and 6 year old have learned a ton on them and are very good at using them. My 13 month old already knows enough to be dangerous!

12. Rob.G macrumors 6502

Rob.G

My 5yo daughter has commandeered my original iPad for the most part, so after I have my iPad 3 all setup, she'll be getting it. I'm going to wipe it and only install her apps on it, plus we're in the process of converting all of her VHS and DVD videos to put on it too. I'm glad it's a 64 gig model!

One thing she hasn't quite grasped yet is the deleting of apps. She doesn't understand that if the icons start wiggling, to hit the Home button. So instead she tends to move apps around or accidentally delete them. So I'll have to enable Restrictions to prevent that. :)

Rob

13. kidnice15 macrumors member

My 5 year old daughter loves my iPad. Its surprising to see how well she can navigate it. I am glad that I didn't sell my 1st Gen iPad to just anybody. My wife bought it off of me lol :)

14. jmnikricket macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Man, I grew up with the Internet and remember adults being concerned that our generation wouldn't learn basic facts because of the ease of looking it up. I thought that was ridiculous, but now I find myself worried for the next generation and widely available mobile technology. :-/

I hope your kids use it to further knowledge and not just become lazy...

Wow I sound old, I'd downvote me lol ;)

15. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

I was discussing the whole laziness of just looking thigs up with a frien the other day.

I had a phone interview for a job, and one or two of the questions were about technical things I wasn't that versed in, and as such, resorted to googling them.

He heard my typing and asked me what I was doing, and I said the abslute truth, I am looking up what I don't know, so that I will know it.

He questioned my knowledge if I had to google something, I simply said, "If you don't know something in your job, do you give up and wait for someone else to save you, or do you look it up or ask your peers?"

"I ask my peers in the field or look it up in a textbook, of course"

Well buddy, I do too, but as I am not surrounded by knowledgable peers ATM, I am using google to investigate it, it is not lack of knowledge, it is a lack of knowledge with a willingness to learn more.

Kids hopefully won't be lazy, but will know enough to ask for help when they need it.

On the other hand, my wife works for a phone carrier, and when someone comes in to her store and signs up, she has to get them to read the contract and terms of service, but of late, she has had about 6 people of the 20-27 age bracket, that simply say, I cannot read...

I weep for the future if kids are not learning to read.

16. aneftp macrumors 68040

Yep. One of reason I had to get the new iPad.

My 21 month has essentially stolen my 64gb iPad 2 for himself.

He's a master at slide to unlock. Can swipe to his own apps page (Thomas train, abcs, pbs kids, Elmo etc). He can click on videos apps and knows which videos are his like sesame street videos I downloaded from YouTube.

It's funny cause he calls iPad "Elmo's" cause there are multiple Elmo apps in there.

He knows how to use my iPhone also. But the iPad is his number one choice.

We take it out to dinner all the time when we are out. It keeps him occupied.

17. sonicdissent, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

sonicdissent macrumors regular

my just turned 4 year old is easily the primary user for our iPad. It really is a blessing to have these tools to assist in learning.

18. mac jones macrumors 68040

Oh how nice, the old folks thread.

And they go off on the ol' "Is technology bad" tangent nonetheless.

Can I get you folks a hot toddy, and a warm blanky?

Just trying to help :)

19. SoonerFan303 macrumors member

It isn't being lazy, it is being smart and resourceful. The secret to success in the world isn't how much you know, but how well you can find the knowledge you need! :)

This is especially true in IT. Hard to imagine an IT job before the internet.

20. icydog macrumors member

I picked up a used iPad 1 for my grandson this Christmas from Santa that is...he is so proficient on mine. I have a screen dedicated to his apps but he is learning some of mine too. I love that he can learn so much so easily and have fun while doing it.

On the other hand I visited my son and his inlaws were there and upset that I showed their kids my iPhone and iPad 2. They asked me to put it away saying the kids had too much " screen time". Their five year old cried and cried, and I felt awful, but they Never relented... After they went home, I mentioned to my son that I believe the iPad to be the best teaching tool I have ever seen.. My son basically told me it was none of my business! Even though I gave my son and his wife iPads for Christmas this year!

21. bouldermac macrumors member

Have an iPad and an iPad 2

Just ordered two new ones, one for me and one for the wife.

4.5 year old will get the iPad 2, 2.5 year old will get the orig and wife and I won't have to fight them for gen anymore!!

22. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I think it is awesome that such young children are able to use these products with ease.

23. wodeh macrumors regular

Get them on ABC Pocket Phonics as early as possible, and then when they start to learn some basic words try the sandbox mode in Scribblenauts. These are the two prime examples, but there are plenty more Apps which will sneak learning in under their radar.

My daughter's reading/writing skills are well above average, and I'm fairly confident the iPad had a lot to do with it.

That said, she's 4 and she's already a pro at Dungeon Defenders, Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One, Rayman Origins, Little Big Planet and any other co-op PS3/Xbox 360 game we can get our hands on. Kids are amazing creatures, and their learning capacity extends far, far beyond what is typically demanded of them in this day and age.

24. SunnyDay24 macrumors newbie

I don't have children, but if I did, I would try not to let them use electronics so much so young. Maybe it's just me, but when I was young I never watched much TV, played on the computer, or had nifty iPhones and iPads . I read a lot, and played outside a lot, and I feel like more people need that kind of childhood. I suppose there's nothing wrong if you do, but I feel that children need more person to person interaction as opposed to sitting them down in front of an iPad screen to placate them. But hey, let's all agree to disagree.

Note this isn't coming from some oldie, but a fourteen year old. Just some food for thought.
    (Though of course I myself am still a "kid". Just an older one.)

25. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Get off the internet and go play outside.

All kidding aside, no one is saying that kids shouldn't play outside. I seriously doubt that the parents in this thread are parking their children in a dark empty room for 10 hours a day with nothing but a iPad and a bag of potato chips.