Dock - Empty or Full?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Patrick J, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

I have recently gotten really into productivity hacks - maximising your workflow, etc. I cleared out my status bar, and now I am wondering about the dock.

Currently, I have only 3 default apps. Finder, Chrome, and iTunes. On the other side of the separator I have a Documents folder, a Downloads stack, and the recycle bin.

I took out the apps from the dock and the apps stack because I reasoned that it would be just as easy and quick, when launching an app, to cmd+space and type the first few letters.

What are your opinions? Do you have your dock with a bunch of apps? Or just the essentials?

2. Xavier macrumors 68020

Recently, I have been thinking the same thing. Having used a Mac throughout there generations, I have found it difficult to get away from the Finder to navigate to a folder. Spotlight has grown on me these past few weeks and I am starting to use it for everything.

Also, I used to put a lot of apps on my dock, many of which I hardly ever used. With Spotlight right at hand, I just keep my most popular apps down there. I have about 8 apps.

So, I would say, keep to the essentials. Spotlight works wonders and I am glad I have started to use this feature more often.

3. celticpride678

I keep only the applications that I use everyday in my dock (Chrome, iCal, iTunes, CyberDuck) and that's it. Nothing but the bare essentials in my menu bar.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

15 app icons and 4 stacks

I rarely use Spotlight for anything

5. brucem91 macrumors 6502

I do a combination of both. I do use spotlight alot, but I put all my commonly used applications on my dock. Of course, I also have my dock auto-hide, so it isn't in the way when I need it.

6. advres Guest

advres

For me a "bunch of apps" are the essential daily routine apps. Whatever I need that isn't in my dock (I have it memorized) I use spotlight to launch.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Patrick J thread starter macrumors 65816

Patrick J

But you have things like Quicktime. Surely, when opening a video, you spotlight it/navigate to it in finder, then Quicktime/default application opens automatically?

Same with dictionary - surely it is easier just to search for the word in spotlight, then press enter on the dictionary entry.

In my opinion, the problem with having a load (15 or 20) of icons, even it they are often used, is that so many icons cause visual clutter, and slow down navigating to the actual icon you want.

Of course, this doesn't apply if you have memorised it.

Also, when I have my 22" screen plugged in, I disable autohide on the dock. However, when portable on the 13", I enable this option.

Because of this, when I want to open an app on the dock, I have to scroll down, let the dock slide up, then navigate horizontally to the app I want.

As my hands are more often on the keyboard, it seems easier to use Spotlight, and keep the dock functioning as the pre Windows 7 taskbar.

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Great tip! This will save me hundreds of seconds before I die. :D

Really, using Dictionary from the Dock is not that hard.

Let's see...
    Spotlight method:
    Click in far upper right corner,
    type word,
    click Dictionary in resulting list

Just use Dictionary:
    Click on icon in Dock at the bottom of the screen,
    type word,
    hit return

For me the second one is easier. I much prefer mousing to the bottom of the screen than the top. I find it physically easier. Whenever possible, I move things to the bottom for that very reason.

9. celticpride678

Or, for the Spotlight method:

Click the spacebar and command key
    Type a word
    and hit return

10. muskratboy macrumors 6502

i don't see how clicking, then typing is easier than just clicking.

especially when you have to move your hands over to the keyboard.

just clicking on the icon in the dock IS faster and easier. objectively.

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have a full Dock. I am one of those people who doesn't use Spotlight as an application launcher, and rarely needs it for any other purpose.

12. advres Guest

advres

Nope... the new quicktime player sucks. That is quicktime 7 pro. I spotlight to a file I need to watch and then drag and drop on 7 or sometimes right click on the open with.

Again, I use the dictionary so much I usually launch it once and then command+tab over to it as need fit.

I always keep my dock hidden no matter size screen I am working on.

I can see your points completely and say "Whatever works for you". As a video editor, I deal with the keyboard a lot (it is the fastest most of the time) but I still use my trackball and wacom pen a lot, so most of the time it would be quicker to scroll the ball sideways or move my hand to the right with the pen then to put the pen behind my ear, get both hands on the keyboard instead of one and start typing.

Again, IMHO, speed is completely dependent on your normal workflow and what works best for you. I work with a guy who uses spotlight 100% of the time for anything. For me, I'd say about 70/30.

In all honesty though, I usually have so much stuff running the fastest way is to command+tab over to the application I need :D Plus, I work for myself so a day or work is a day of work... I don't have to streamline my stuff until deadline time comes. Plus I make more money being slightly slower ;)

13. strausd macrumors 68030

I keep a good amount of apps in the dock. I also have a stack with a few that I don't use as much. I use spotlight a lot but there are many times when I am just using my wacom intuos4 and don't want to lean over to the keyboard. Then it's easier to just open one from the dock or stack.

14. keekl macrumors regular

keekl

I have 30 plus icons in the dock~~it stays hidden though so it's out of the way.

Way back when I was shopping for a new computer and stopped in at the Apple reseller the dock was the first thing about OSX that caught my eye:D...just love the feature.

15. Patrick J thread starter macrumors 65816

Patrick J

You are going to be typing the word anyway, so it's much smarter just to cmd+space to invoke spotlight, then type the word. If you have the dock hidden, then you are saving at least a second by using the keyboard shortcut.

I suppose at the end of the day it all comes down to how you physically use the computer - more specifically, where you usually have your hands.

If they are hovering over the keyboard, then it is faster to spotlight the applications.

If they are using the mouse, then it is easier to just have the applications in the dock, to click on when needed.

16. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That doesn't work for me... OS 10.5.8

+1

See above.
    First it was easier, now it's smarter and faster too! Wow! All three!!
    But I'm losing a second or two because it doesn't work.

17. Kristenn macrumors 6502

I have 23 apps in my dock. My dock hides and is full size without magnification. I use spotlight for documents or to access certain apps not on the dock. And with the dock hiding until i put my mouse on the bottom of the screen it doesn't get in the way and my programs can use every bit of the screen space. ^^

18. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

^^ Seconded. I keep my dock small at the bottom and as tidy as possible. I have 15 apps, too, but only 3 stacks and a shortcut to my most commonly used spreadsheet (my checking account registry, lol).

19. techluvr macrumors regular

I never use Spotlight unless I am trying to find a file that I don't know where I stashed. My dock isn't really that full. I kept all the default Stacks since they were what I needed, and added an MS Office stack for easy access to the full suite. My Applications stack gets a lot of use. I just kind of find apps I use frequently and add them. At first I kept everything in the dock, but it got to the point where I didn't like it like that. I suppose a Home folder stack would be all some people need, because most things can be easily accessed from there. So, to put it bluntly, only put things you need, and have Stacks for all the rest.

20. Nero Wolfe macrumors regular

Nero Wolfe

I keep my dock full of just about anything I can think of ever using, including software update and the installer application. The reason I started doing that is because while I like the idea of the dock, the way OS X forces most applications to stop at the top of the dock creates areas of unusable space on either side of it if you only have so many icons there. That weird-looking gap bugs me for some reason.

It's the same reason I can't use the 3D dock, which I like, but without the dock border the application windows just sort of seem to stop arbitrarily at a point above the dock (I know it's not actually arbitrary, but it looks that way to me).

I guess you could say I like my desktop 'framed' by the menubar and the dock, and I prefer them equal in length. I keep the installer and software updater in there because when your dock is stretched to either side and a program not in the dock launches, it shrinks the dock in a weird stuttering way that also bugs me.

I know this sounds terribly picky and all, and it is, but what drew me to Macs in the first place was the (IMO) superior and largely consistent UI.

21. Patrick J thread starter macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Dock has it's positives and negatives.

Could you please attach a screenshot of your dock? Don't you ever find yourself searching for an application?

22. Nero Wolfe macrumors regular

Nero Wolfe

Certainly:
    [​IMG]

Not really. I actually use spotlight, or the app switcher, as much as the dock itself. And even though there's a lot of icons there, I've gotten used to where they are - plus there is an internal logic to where I've placed them. Internet programs, productivity, image related, music & media, video acquisition and conversion, writing, etc… all in order of how often I use them.

My main reason for filling the dock up is so icons are already there and don't have to shrink the dock when loading, since I like my dock to go edge-to-edge. I'd actually have more than I do, but they become too small with my 15" screen.

23. rk1991 macrumors regular

i keep my dock at the bare minimum with the 8 apps i use every day and a apps stack, downloads stack, documents stack and dropbox stack. I use quicksilver for everything else.

24. mdatwood macrumors 6502a

This is what I do. My dock is empty (and hidden) except for currently running apps. I also move between spaces with ctrl+up/down/left/right and apps with cmd+tab. Having to take my hands off the keyboard is annoying and slow when working. Keep in mind all my work is typing and doesn't ever *need* a mouse unless I'm testing GUIs that I have written.