Docking Station for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by npeterson, Nov 9, 2017.

1. npeterson macrumors newbie

npeterson

Hello!

I have a 2017 MBP 15" which I use both at work and home. I am interested in creating a docking station so I can use a larger monitor while at work. Are there any suggestions for hardware that people have found most effective for this?

Many thanks,

Nick

2. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

Are you looking for a monitor that can act as a docking station?

Or do you already have a monitor at work and are looking for a usb-c dock or adapter to connect to it? If so what are the ports on the display?

3. npeterson thread starter macrumors newbie

npeterson

I am up in the air. I do have access to a monitor that I could use. But, if there are better options, I am open to knowing about them. No ports on the display. Very basic LED 21"

4. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

You can look at monitors you could use with your MBP here: https://www.macrumors.com/2016/11/16/usb-c-thunderbolt-3-displays-2016-macbook-pro/ You can plug your MBP directly in those and some act as a docking station by offering ports missing from the MBP. They also charge it.

There has to be at least 1 input on the display. If you want to use it you'll have to find a usb-c to vga/dvi/hdmi, whatever is on your display, to plug it in. Here are a few examples of what you should be looking for: HDMI, DVI, VGA.

5. radicalcentrist macrumors member

I use a Caldigit USB-C hub that connects to a 32" BenQ 4k monitor. I've put my 15" MBP on a Rain mStand to the left of the monitor and programmed my left index finger into TouchID. Keeping the lid open on the MBP means I can use TouchID for passwords just by reaching a bit with my left hand, and it only needs one plug.

6. djnigelchung macrumors member

This dock actually seems perfect for me (I need HDMI 2.0 to connect to my 4k tv which I'm using as a monitor), any issues with it? Currently I was going to use two dongles, one a usb c to hdmi 2.0 adaptor, and then a usb c hub for the usb ports and charging.. this might be better.
    And it's powerful enough to charge the MacBook?
    Thanks

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

It sounds like a portable solution for Pro and Homer may work best for you how about something like this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073WW6H9H/ref=sr_ob_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1510302370&sr=8-3

8. adamh10 macrumors member

adamh10

I use the Belkin USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 docking station for my 2017 MacBook Pro and it's incredible. They have a model for the pre-USB-C Thunderbolt 2 2015 MBP too - I would definitely recommend it for your model. It's great.